ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #601
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,613
I still have the rear Hyperpro spring on the rear. To cope with the spring weight I have been running full hard rebound. I backed off 1.5 turns 2 weeks ago and noticed an effect on compression damping. Felt a little plusher. I know it is a rebound setting but there may be some interplay with compression. Seemed to be a happy spot because no further affect with adjustments beyond that.

The spring change seems to match the Bitubo front pretty well.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #602
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,655
Might give that a try. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I still have the rear Hyperpro spring on the rear. To cope with the spring weight I have been running full hard rebound. I backed off 1.5 turns 2 weeks ago and noticed an effect on compression damping. Felt a little plusher. I know it is a rebound setting but there may be some interplay with compression. Seemed to be a happy spot because no further affect with adjustments beyond that.

The spring change seems to match the Bitubo front pretty well.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #603
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
Another Bitubo blowout today. I shouldn't have let them go more than 6 months for service, but I did. Shouldn't be a big deal since the shop now has the tooling.
Hanging w/ the SE boys makes the brokeback beemer cry cry cry.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #604
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,516
You going to invest in some Ohlins, or just continue with the Bitubos? Or maybe you have some other plan up your sleeve.

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #605
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
Hopefully I'll hear what's up tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I broke a few shims again. Depending on the cost of service and replacing whatever went south inside...

I'll probably keep the Bitubo kit and service twice yearly.
They do work very well since the re-valving was done.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #606
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
Forks are done. Nothing destroyed. Should be good for another six months.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #607
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,655
Bitubo

Just for giggles what did they fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Forks are done. Nothing destroyed. Should be good for another six months.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #608
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Just for giggles what did they fix?
There was a split o-ring on one of the cartridges. Sounds like a piece broke loose and got stuck in the valve assembly. This explains why I lost action one one of the legs.
Other than that, just cleaning, re-assembly, fluids and a shot of gas.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #609
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,655
o-ringing

Thanks. I don't use my 800 as hard as you do but was curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
There was a split o-ring on one of the cartridges. Sounds like a piece broke loose and got stuck in the valve assembly. This explains why I lost action one one of the legs.
Other than that, just cleaning, re-assembly, fluids and a shot of gas.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #610
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
motocd.com has gs suspension replacements. He just did the forks and shock on a 800. Top notch shop and one of the few suspension shops that has a shock dyno in house. He specializes in dual sport/ adv bikes and track bikes. Hes doing my forks right now. cartridge internals with compression, rebound and spring preload adjustment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Sounds interesting. Maybe start a new thread and keep us informed.
Looks like a new thread was never started for this. Anyone have any info on what was done? What it cost?
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #611
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,655
Bitubo failure?

Heard a little clunk from the front end this morning when driving out of the coffee joint to start my Sunday ride. I heard a similar little clunk the weekend before on a sharp edged bump at speed. Rode a 100 kms to the trail head and all seemed well on s,moothe pavement. First 100 meters of trail it was all over. The front end was clanking over every single bump and rock. Checked the steering bearings and everything else was tight, calipers, pinch bolts, axle etc. Looks like the Bitubo cartridge lasted one month and about 4 rides....
Will pull it apart tomorrow.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #612
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS
 
AKTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Heard a little clunk from the front end this morning when driving out of the coffee joint to start my Sunday ride. I heard a similar little clunk the weekend before on a sharp edged bump at speed. Rode a 100 kms to the trail head and all seemed well on s,moothe pavement. First 100 meters of trail it was all over. The front end was clanking over every single bump and rock. Checked the steering bearings and everything else was tight, calipers, pinch bolts, axle etc. Looks like the Bitubo cartridge lasted one month and about 4 rides....
Will pull it apart tomorrow.
Ouch!
__________________
Team Pterodactyl, Hooligan Division. R.I.P Harry
Mythical Riders, boy are they movin'. Thru dust, rocks & mud..............they're FUKENGRUVEN!
As I look back through the decades, theres a thought that prevails. We are born without a road map and a choice of many trails...........
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #613
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
I have a referral for a shop in So.Cal if you're interested.
They will also re-valve while they are in there.

Bitubo uses some pretty tiny shims. I broke the hell out of a few of them.



This shop has made the tools required to re-charge the cartridges. That seemed to be the biggest hurdle initially.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #614
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,655
rebuild

I'm hoping someone local can help. If not then So-Cal here we come. We have a place here called Stadium Suspension that I'll call on Tuesday. I'll put the stockers back in. Any chance something could have come loose? I don't do motocross on this thing and I'm fat and slow off-road so I can't see how I broke it so easily.


Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I have a referral for a shop in So.Cal if you're interested.
They will also re-valve while they are in there.

Bitubo uses some pretty tiny shims. I broke the hell out of a few of them.



This shop has made the tools required to re-charge the cartridges. That seemed to be the biggest hurdle initially.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum

Motoriley screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 01:36 PM Reason: I suck
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #615
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,730
Mine started clunking a while back. I thought the worst.
Nothing more than a servicing was needed. I believe some sort of debris stuck the something open in the valving. I'm an electrician, so the guy was speaking Greek to me.
I'm confident I can ride a hard six months between servicing. Any more than that has proven to be a bad idea.
Sorry to hear yours quit so early.
If you give up on the Bitubos, I may be interested in buying them.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014