Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #61
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
The new gas charged cartdridge, you slip itno the fork tubes and it sits on the bottom of the tube. Well there is a hole down there, because you already removed the hex head bolt to remove the old one. Now you put the bolt back in to hold the new one in place. But when you tighten the bolt the new cartdridge will want to spin with the bolt and you cant hold it to stop it because it's inside your fork tube and your hands wont fit in there. So what you di is use an impact wrench. They spin bolts so fast the cartdridge cant keep up and it will tighten nicely. This is a comon way of tightening things like this, such as flywheels.
Jus curious, does Bitubo recommened doing it that way? Most (all that I've done anyway) forks require a special tool to put down to fork tube to hold the unit in place while I use a torque wrench to set the bolt. So far I've always been able to make a tool for this use out of things I've bought at a hardware store instead of buying one. Even if I can just get the bolt started an finger tight without it spinning (often no tool required) by the time I put a spring and the cap on there's enough tension to torque it to spec without it spinning . I'm guessing your way will be fine, but I'd rather not impact it (when putting it on) or overtorque it if I can help it.

Your initial assesment sounds exciting and I can't wait to hear how you feel after getting in some good riding. Sounds like the dampning works like it should have from the factory (not locking on sharp hits) and the stiffer spring should avoid bottoming (another problem for me). This could be the solution.

So basically now it works as good as any bargain Showa inverted forks from the mid 90s Way to go Marzocchi!!!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #62
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,218
Dave, yea, Im sure there is more than one way to do it and I'm also sure you know more than I on this.

On the test ride, that was the BIGGEST thing I noticed right off the bat. No initial hit (shock) like before. Sucked it up imeaditly without throwing the steering off. I like them. You can order spring rates for you. Read the email I posted above from Bitubo regarding spring rates and rider weight.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #63
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Yes, but your not going to know using an impact gun, so dont worry. It simply holds the cartdridge in place and the washer prevents oil seepage. Its not criticle. Again, even if you bring your forks to a shop, they will do the excact same thing.

I don't own an impact gun, but I was under the impression that you were able to set a "blow off" torque on them?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #64
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

I use an electric one Nate. I just just tap the trigger. You can get a good feel for it. You dont want to over torque it like Dave said. This is a light application. So it wont take much.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #65
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
Jus curious, does Bitubo recommened doing it that way?
Dave the instructions simply say to tighten them. But not how to do that.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #66
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
A solution!

Right on Frank, thanks for the report! Love the 800GS but the forks need some major improvement, gotta get some.

I agree on the impact trick. It only takes a quick pulse of the trigger and it tightens right up. Done it myself this way and seen other, real mechanics, use the impact wrench as well. Its kinda a fail proof method due to the fact that the tube spins once its tight.
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #67
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Dave, yea, Im sure there is more than one way to do it and I'm also sure you know more than I on this.

On the test ride, that was the BIGGEST thing I noticed right off the bat. No initial hit (shock) like before. Sucked it up imeaditly without throwing the steering off. I like them. You can order spring rates for you. Read the email I posted above from Bitubo regarding spring rates and rider weight.
Sometimes I may go overboard, but that little click from the torque wrench always takes away any doubt if I did it right or not.

I think we are pretty close on rider weight so there's a good chance your set up would work for me. And in all honesty I'm not worried about dialing in the suspenders like I would on a competition machine on a particular circuit where I won't stop if I think I can get it closer, I just want the darn things to work. Especially with a dual sport bike where good enough is usually the case considering the different extremes that we take them to.

I'd imagine the rear end is going to feel awful on trails now that your front end isn't holding you back . looking forward to your shock report as well.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #68
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
And for you fellas looking for your spring rates, here's the email I just recieved from Bitubo:'

"If your weight does not belong to this standard, you can mention in your order the exact weight and our technicians will study the most proper solution for you."
That's good to hear. It seems to imply that they can set up the damping for rider weight...though only if you're out of their (somewhat large) range.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #69
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Here's what I dont get here with these and maybe someone can explain it. The cartdridges are gas filled, yet I will still pour the Silkilene 2 wt. fork oil in the tubes. Whats the oil do ? Just lubricate or are they also helping to dampen ?
In some cases, inserts allow you to use two different weights of oil, providing more versatility with tuning.

If they're *completely* sealed, the fluid in the tubes might just be there for the 'air spring' factor?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #70
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
2 wt fork oil?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #71
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
2 wt fork oil?
Actually, 5wt comes with the kit.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #72
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Gah - dang. AFTER this diet I'm on is over, I should be at the very very very teensy top end of that range ... not great.

The guy at Hardan's (nice guy, I agree - crotchety in that funny way) said it takes AGES to get stuff from Italy, so I'm not super-excited about the prospect of negotiating a custom kit from the Bitubo engineers, but I guess it's worth a try.
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #73
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

bxr, they are sealed, so it just lubes the bushings and seals and provides cushion on comprssion. So I have been told.

Griz, no it's 2 wt Synthetic. At leas thats what it says on the bottle.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #74
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Wicked

so whats up with your shock docking pilot? pics? am very interested in that!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #75
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Hey Huck,
Ill take pics as soon as. It is really sweet though Ill tell you that. The shock I have no doubt will be a winner.