ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #106
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Yes, i'm pretty sure it does.

That's why the instructions clearly state that it is necessary to pump the damping rod to achieve proper oil leveling.

And no, unlike you stated previously, the oil does not reside only above the cartridges. The majority of it actually resides below the springs.

If you had installed a set on your 800 before spouting off like you know it all, you would know these things.
Actually, it was DockingPilot or bxr140 or someone who stated that the oil does not enter the cartridge. So, no, I'm not souting off like I know it all. I'm just going off of what you guys claim!! Hmmm....interesting. I get shit on when I agree with you guys and when I disagree. Can't win!

Thanks for the factual information about this kit though! I knew the oil had to be for something!
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #107
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Yes, i'm pretty sure it does.
Unless they've come up with some revolutionary technology, I find it hard to see how they can get the nitrogen charge in the damper unit before the fluid goes in there.

I believe Docking Pilot when he says the units are sealed and you can't put oil in them. I believe him when he says the oil added goes into the fork tubes. Mostly because what he has said makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
That's why the instructions clearly state that it is necessary to pump the damping rod to achieve proper oil leveling.
Without having read the instructions, or even hearing of this before you said it (did DP say anything about this?) I'd surmise the damper pumping is most likely becuase the units aren't shipped vertical. Makes less sense on a sealed, charged unit than a 'normal' fork, but who knows.

What, exactly, do the instructions say?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #108
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140

What, exactly, do the instructions say?
Go back and read Frank's comments. Unlike others, Frank doesn't make point blank affirmations, he is pretty candid regarding his knowledge.

Frank isn't sure whether the oil enters the cartridges. Just as i'm not 100 % certain that it does.

The only way for me to be 100 % certain is to remove one of mine and confirm that it is indeed filled.

The instructions clearly state that the damping rod must be pumped in order to achieve proper oil leveling.

The above, combined with the drop in oil level i observed when filling my forks (at the point where the oil reached the level where the rod enters the cartridge), the pronounced gurgling noises i heard, and the change in damping effort as i pumped the rod, leads me to believe that the oil does in fact enter the cartridge.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #109
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,649
Turbo forks

Have you noticed the dreaded turbo-lag with the new set-up?
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #110
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Unlike others, Frank doesn't make point blank affirmations.
Like this one for example, where you state that the forks on the 800 GS are "damper rods";

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Does anyone know the specifics on the suspension?

-I know the front forks are USD. But are they cartridge damped or do they have damping rods in them? Any unique features that they have?
You respond;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Damper rods. Though, looking at the fiche there might be a rebound ajustment at the bottom of the rod. Dunno for sure as I haven't taken mine apart.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #111
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Like this one for example, where you state that the forks on the 800 GS are "damper rods";



You respond;
You're sittin' on a pretty high horse there, pal.

The stock F800GS forks are indeed cartridge forks. It's just that they're the non-sealed type. As in the stock cartridges actually rely on the fork oil for operation. Also, the biggest problem with the F800GS stock forks is that the cartridge unit itself is crimped shut at the bottom, which hinders us from changing things inside the cartridge unit. This is not a blank assumption. This is fact. Touched and saw with my own eyes! Is that good enough for you?

And about the Bitubo cartridges: If the manual states that the damping rod must be pumped in order to achieve proper oil leveling, then that seems to me to be a definite that oil does go into the cartridge unit. And I myself was never claiming anything on that subject for sure, only goin off of what I've been told by you guys.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 11:12 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #112
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
You're sittin' on a pretty high horse there, pal.

The stock F800GS forks are indeed cartridge forks. It's just that they're the non-sealed type. As in the stock cartridges actually rely on the fork oil for operation. Also, the biggest problem with the F800GS stock forks is that the cartridge unit itself is crimped shut at the bottom, which hinders us from changing things inside the cartridge unit. This is not a blank assumption. This is fact. Touched and saw with my own eyes! Is that good enough for you?
So you not only spout off at the mouth, but you also have trouble reading. Lovely.

I know you're a young boy, but please try to follow along here.

Where did i write that the 800 GS OEM forks are not cartridges ? Go back and read my post.

I wrote;

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Unlike others, Frank doesn't make point blank affirmations. Like this one for example, where you (bxr140) state that the forks on the 800 GS are "damper rods";
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Does anyone know the specifics on the suspension?

-I know the front forks are USD. But are they cartridge damped or do they have damping rods in them? Any unique features that they have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
You (bxr140) respond;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Damper rods. Though, looking at the fiche there might be a rebound ajustment at the bottom of the rod. Dunno for sure as I haven't taken mine apart.
Since you're having trouble following along, i'll spell it out for you.

You posed a question regarding the specifics on the F 800 GS suspension.

bxr140 responded to your question matter-of-fact like.

bxr140's matter-of-fact response was incorrect -- "Damper rods."

The OEM forks are in fact cartridges, they are sealed cartridges.

Get it ? Like i said, an example of someone making affirmations without knowledge.

Here's another example;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
The stock F800GS forks are indeed cartridge forks. It's just that they're the non-sealed type.
Non-sealed type huh ? Unlike all the other cartridges that ARE sealed and don't allow oil to flow through, right ?

LOL.

You should try talking about things you actually know about, you keep missing perfect opportunities to keep your mouth shut.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #113
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,789
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
So you not only spout off at the mouth, but you also have trouble reading. Lovely.

I know you're a young boy, but please try to follow along here.

Where did i write that the 800 GS OEM forks are not cartridges ?
I didn't say you did. But now that you mention it, did you?






Quote:
Since you're having trouble following along, i'll spell it out for you.

You posed a question regarding the specifics on the F 800 GS suspension.

bxr140 responded to your question matter-of-fact like.

bxr140's matter-of-fact response was incorrect -- "Damper rods."

The OEM forks are in fact cartridges, they are sealed cartridges.

Get it ? Like i said, an example of someone making affirmations without knowledge.
The stock forks are not sealed cartridges. They are in fact unsealed cartridges. Oil is allowed into them. I know this because I touched and saw it! Do you get it yet?? Obviously not. Therefore you seem to be the one making affirmations without knowledge. My knowledge is from hands on experience with the stock forks.

Quote:
Here's another example;


Non-sealed type huh ? Unlike all the other cartridges that ARE sealed and don't allow oil to flow through, right ?

LOL.


You should try talking about things you actually know about, you keep missing perfect opportunities to keep your mouth shut.
No where did I say that all other fork cartridge types are sealed. You made that up. But since you feel the need to bring the subject up again, some are sealed and don't allow oil into them, and others are unsealed and allow oil in. However, there are far fewer sealed cartridge fork systems than unsealed, due to the high cost of manufature and service difficulty. If you don't know that, then it seems you're the one that needs some schooling on the subject. Take some of your own medicine man!! For fuck's sake! For being a wise old fart , you are the one that seems to not be following along!

Anyway, I'm going to go ride my motorbike across the country for 3,000 miles now. You can stay here and piss and moan about cartridges and how you can't seem to figure them out!! Peace.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9408_tech/index.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Me...esult&resnum=1
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 12:37 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #114
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
You're sittin' on a pretty high horse there, pal.
+1.

btome, web fourms are supposed to be a place where different people present different ideas that other people can consider and, if they so chose, discuss. Instead of digging up old unrelated posts (specifically one that was immediately corrected, no less) and reading into them in an attempt to prove someone wrong, how about you just contribute?

At least when Griz and I tussle we both try to actually further the discussion.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #115
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz

The stock forks are not sealed cartridges. They are in fact unsealed cartridges. Oil is allowed into them.
I know this is a complicated subject for a young boy like you, but cartridges DO allow oil into them. That's how they dampen.

The term "sealed" refers to Marzocchi having crimped the ends on these particular units.

Depicted below, note the crimps preventing access to the interior of the cartridge;


That's what the term "sealed" refers to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
some are sealed and don't allow oil into them, and others are unsealed and allow oil in.
Really ? There is such a thing as a dual chamber fork ? You're kidding. Can you show me where they are referred to as "sealed cartridges" ?

You post links to cartridge fork articles, you should study them.

And the famous 3000 mile ride, don't you get tired of saying it over and over and over again ? "i'm going on a 3000 mile ride". Like the sold KLR's in your signature line, it's only a big deal in your mind. Get it ?
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #116
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
I know this is a complicated subject for a young boy like you, but cartridges DO allow oil into them. That's how they dampen.

The term "sealed" refers to Marzocchi having crimped the ends on these particular units.

Depicted below, note the crimps preventing access to the interior of the cartridge;


That's what the term "sealed" refers to.
Just because the metal is crimped on the bottom doesn't mean it's sealed cartridge fork!! That's just to restrict access to it's internals from humans, not oil! The term sealed in this subject matter means no oil allowed into the cartridge internal. You can plainly see the holes that allow oil into the cartridge in this picture.




Quote:
Really ? There is such a thing as a dual chamber fork ? You're kidding. Can you show me where they are referred to as "sealed cartridges" ?
Oh, I'm sorry..... the term sealed isn't good enough for you.... Well, the term dual-chamber is synonomous with sealed-cartridge in this topic. And the point is whether or not the fork oil is allowed into the cartridge unit or not! Not what the effen thing is called!

Quote:
You post links to cartridge fork articles, you should study them.
I have. Obviously you haven't. That's why I posted them for you.

Quote:
And the famous 3000 mile ride, don't you get tired of saying it over and over and over again ? "i'm going on a 3000 mile ride". Like the sold KLR's in your signature line, it's only a big deal in your mind. Get it ?
Now you're just blatantly trying to be an ass. Maybe if you went on trip you'd actually have something to be excited about, instead of being bored at work and trying to be a fuckwad to people. Jo Mamma time.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R

The Griz screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 01:20 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #117
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
+1.

btome, web fourms are supposed to be a place where different people present different ideas that other people can consider and, if they so chose, discuss.
Is that your lame excuse for stating something matter-of-fact that is incorrect ?

You didn't present a "different idea", and you certainly didn't contribute anything by falsely stating that the F 800 GS has "damper rod forks".

Why not just say "I'm not sure, but i think they might be damper rod forks" instead of "damper rod".

It's ok to not know everything.

As far as the high horse remark, other than a lame comment it really has no merit at all. I'm not the one that made false matter-of-fact statements - you are.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #118
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Maybe if you went on trip you'd actually have something to be excited about, instead of being bored at work and trying to be a fuckwad to people.
What's the matter ? Can't stand getting called out on your spouting off ? Truth hurts doesn't it.

BTW, bring back a nice picture from your "3000 mile ride" to share with us.

Here's one of mine from Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Taken this January.

Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #119
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robhar54's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 476
Stop yer bitchin'

OK, Griz, btome and bxr140, enough already. This started out to be an informative thread on something lots of us are interested in, and has now turned into a dick-swinging contest. Take it to Jo Momma.

(Or at least that's what I'd say if I was a moderator. )

Rob in Seattle
__________________
Adventure Bikes: Rivendell Saluki + Rawland rSogn
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #120
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,804
Agreed.

Ok, something informative.

One of the spring preload screws came undone on the Bitubo cartridge. It happened when i was adding preload to the left fork, the screw simply untheaded from the hex shaft inside the cap.

The screw (black anodized 12 point), is a left-hand thread and it turns a hex shaft inside the cap which in turn threads out a collar that adds spring preload.

I was able to repair it by grabbing the collar (that pushes on the spring) with a pair of pliers and turning it counter-clockwise (add preload . .). I then cleaned the threads, re-lubed the washers (you'll see which ones) and locktited it back together.

Pay close attention so as not to thread it in too tight, that's what causes it to be hard to turn.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014