ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM   #16
bigdagwood
Deedee Joe

Oddometer: 288
I am for DG IV...had a great time at III and would do it again no question. - BDAGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
I live in no virginia but have a cabin and 35 acres in little laurel up above hot springs near the tn state line was raised over the line in greeneville tn.
I am also one of the organizers of the dgIII rally we had first weekend in june in hot springs. How many of you came to that lil shindig?and more importantly who would like to do that again in late may next year?

"it's like my bicycle...if you just keep going you stay upright!"
bigdagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #17
Blackcloud
BLACK CLOUD

Oddometer: 95
W N.c.

I Live In Laurel Spings,nc Just Off The Blue Ridge Parkway, Close To Doughton Park Mile Post 246 Let Me Know When You Are Coming Through.

" IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOU ARE TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE ! "

"A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING! "

>BLACKCLOUD
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #18
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Howdy,

Myself and another bud will be heading to Western North Carolina for a week of riding, August 22-28th. I will be on my GS and he on his VStrom 1000. I am familiar with all the paved stuff in the area, but we'd like to do a little adventure style touring as well. We're both relatively new to the whole offroad riding thing so we are not up for the hard core stuff, just gravel/dirt roads and shallow water crossings maybe. I plan on mounting my TKC80's and will try to get him to do liekwise.

Basically, we have five days to burn. We plan on hitting stuff like the Cherohala, BRP, Deal's Gap, Hwy 28, and some other lesser known backroads. We'd like to do the trip on the inexpensive side as much as possible. Along those lines, we're looking for cheap places to stay that are not dumps It would also be cool if any of the locals in the area could hook up with us for some riding, maybe show us some good roads and such. We're thinking we'll base in the Waynesville/Maggie Valley area.

Any advice, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #19
Gventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Laugh

276 runs between Waynesville and the BRP and is a great road to ride (paved twisty) and along the way passes http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/which is my favorite place up there - tent sites are $18 and cabins are $40 - and the food is great - from the Campground 276 runs up to the BRP and then down the other side to Brevard (also good road but not as fun as first side) - along the way down towards Brevard you'll pass is a 13 mile long fire road (FR1206) that runs over to the BRP at North Mills/Bent Creek - that fire road is a lot of fun and for some reason never has any traffic on it. Have fun!
Gventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #20
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
riding in western, NC

I like to stay in Bryson City, NC at the http://www.greatsmokies.com/ridgetop - the Ridge Top Motel and Campgrounds - when I go to the mountains. It is a nice place with good rates and the owners are motorcyle friendly. I have been scouting out dirt roads for a ride I am coordinating and have some pics of the roads in the area posted at http://www.mctourer.com/rides/dirt2004/may04/Index.html . I have been riding the dirt roads in this area for the past 6 months and would be glad to send you some maps. If you have a GPS with mapsource software I can provide you with a route using sequential waypoints. Otherwise I can send you some maps from MS Street&Trips 2001. I am planning to go back and ride some in August but don't have a date yet. Maybe we can work something out. Ping me through this forum with your e-mail address.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #21
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Hmmm... can't seem to find FR1206 on the Road's Rec map. Does it start near the top by the ridge or farther down? Also, will it be on the left or right as you head South toward Brevard? All I can find is Yellow Gap Rd., near the top, and 475B that runs from the top down about midway or so.

Looking at the map I can see that picking routes is going to be tough. There are soooo many roads that look enticing. I noticed that many of the lesser roads are notated as Hwy XXXX with four digits. I know from experience that these are not always paved. But are they at least gravel or dirt and open to the public?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 07-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #22
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
I am planning to go back and ride some in August but don't have a date yet. Maybe we can work something out. Ping me through this forum with your e-mail address.
Howdy,

You can reach me at Tourmeister@twtex.com. I have a Garmin GPS60CS. I would love to have your company on any of those days between the 22-28th if you can get the time off. If you cannot make it, I would very much appreciate the maps and routes!

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 07-27-2004, 06:33 AM   #23
Gventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Howdy,

You can reach me at Tourmeister@twtex.com. I have a Garmin GPS60CS. I would love to have your company on any of those days between the 22-28th if you can get the time off. If you cannot make it, I would very much appreciate the maps and routes!

Adios,
On the way down 276 from the BRP towards Brevard FR1206 is going to be on the left right before PinkBeds, on the road its marked with a sign. I can PM you a map tonight.
Gventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 AM   #24
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Western NC ADVRider

Hey y'all
I'm in Lake Lure, NC ... so yeah I ride here
ROFLMAO
I commute to Greenville, SC daily (sigh) so I get plenty of paved time on the XT.
I have flatlander friends come up every couple of months and we try and plan 300-400 mile loops paved, gravel, dirt, trail.

There are some great twisties up here ... I rode a 70 mile loop one sunday and never went more than 10 miles from my cabin (as the GPS points).
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #25
xtphreak

Quote:
Hmmm... can't seem to find FR1206 on the Road's Rec map. Does it start near the top by the ridge or farther down? Also, will it be on the left or right as you head South toward Brevard? All I can find is Yellow Gap Rd., near the top, and 475B that runs from the top down about midway or so.

Looking at the map I can see that picking routes is going to be tough. There are soooo many roads that look enticing. I noticed that many of the lesser roads are notated as Hwy XXXX with four digits. I know from experience that these are not always paved. But are they at least gravel or dirt and open to the public?

Adios,
the forest service roads are open ... to the $^%#^%#^$# mountain bikers too
on the weekends FR475B is loaded ... and the hikers who just plod along like herd animals and won't get even step aside to let you thru.
I saw a bunch with 2 staffs each and figured that was due to bikes, 4X4s and cars hitting a hiker, they just leave them there and take the staff.

the road over to Bent Creek Experimental forest is Yellow Gap Road / North Mills River Road (depending on the map)
go east on it until you get to the North Mills River Recreation Area (campground)
the road is now paved
look for a sharp left just past the campground ... we went that way a couple of weeks ago and the FR# didn't match either the DeLorme Gazateer map or the USCGS map ... but it's WASH Creek Rd to Bent Gap ... goes gravel/dirt after a few hundred yards

also look at NC151 from the parkway west ... it's paved but CROOOOOKED!!

look also at Cove Creek Road off I-40 west (exit 20 @ US 276) it goes back thru the GSMNP back to TN 32 ... or take the turnoff at 12 mile and come out at the Harmon Den exit on I-40 ...continue thru to SSR1182 (Max Patch Road)
Max Patch Mountain being one of the famous "balds" or or or hell you can ride up here for weeks and weeks

let me know where you are wanting to go and I can probably suggest a gravel/dirt &/or twisty paved route.
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 07-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #26
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Howdy,

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming. I gotta take notes and scribble on my maps!

Quote:
also look at NC151 from the parkway west ... it's paved but CROOOOOKED!!
Oh yeah!!! Been there done that... several times!!

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 07-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #27
xtphreak

Quote:
Howdy,
Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming. I gotta take notes and scribble on my maps!
Oh yeah!!! Been there done that... several times!!
Adios,
last Oct we rode from Lake Lure to my bud's place @ Top of The World, TN (on Foothills Pkwy just past the Dragon)

If I can find the route I saved on DeLorme, I'll jpg it and send it.

go from from Deal's Gap to 129 thru Robbinsville
to US19
to SSR1310 (Wayah Rd)
to SSR1404 (Long Branch Rd) to
FR744?? (N35 13.393' W85 36.169'I need the hard copy Delorme here ... goes up and over Jarrett Bald 4500' that Wayah Rd skirts)
to Wayah Rd
to Old Murphy Rd
to US64
to SSR1001 Ellijay Rd (@ Cullasaja just over the Cullasaja River N35 9.582' W83 18.795') this is a nice twisty cruise
to Speedwell then
to NC107 @ Cullowhee
NC107 south
to NC281 south
to SSR1756 (Charly's Creek Rd)
to NC215 south to SSR1327 (Shoal Creek Rd)
to FR475 (Old Government Rd -- signs say to Fish Hatchery)
to FR475B
to US276 West
to YELLOW GAP ROAD
to WASH CREEK RD

and there you are tired, dusty & grinning because you didn't cruise the parkway ... oh yeah hours later in getting there too

this was just B4 the Dragon on the way back Oct '03
minimal touring gear ... just adventure!!!

PS it rained like Hell after Franklin to
My Oxtar Matrix boots got their first real test in rain, fog & spray in 40 deg temps
no leaks & warm
Attached Images

Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 07-29-2004, 06:02 AM   #28
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
I tend to ride the Hot Springs area...that has become my favorite getaway.

I'm in Raleigh...the good stuff nearby (~ an hour away) is in the Uwharries, but I tend to head to the mountains at least 1x a month.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #29
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Quote:
I tend to ride the Hot Springs area...that has become my favorite getaway.
I rode up 209 to Hot Springs and then headed East on roads I have since forgotten. It rained like crazy. At the time, 2001 I think, I had very little experience riding in the rain. To say my seat cover got a workout is a gross understatement Even at a SLOW pace, I had a few moments where I thought I was toast. In one curve, the pavement went down to the apex, then curved hard back up the other direction, almost 180 degrees. There was just a little mud trickling across the road at the apex. When I hit that, both wheels slid about a foot towards the double yellow. Scared the crapola out of me Funny thing is, that was one of the most memorable rides of the whole trip I have since come to like riding in the rain.

The roads around Hot Springs are seriously twisty

One quick question, on the gravel backroads, what kind of speeds do you folks run? I plan on a max of about 30mph.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Old 08-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #30
JoJo
Looking for dirt

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
One quick question, on the gravel backroads, what kind of speeds do you folks run? I plan on a max of about 30mph.
30mph sounds about right. On straights I might wick it up a little, but my fear are the rednecks in the trucks flying around the corners

"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God" - Bumper Sticker
JoJo is offline   Reply With Quote