ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #46
ldrgs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Looking for dirt in NC

As previously mentioned on this list I have just bought a 2004 GS. Any guidence in getting it dirty would be great. I am located in Charlotte, NC.
ldrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 AM   #47
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrgs
As previously mentioned on this list I have just bought a 2004 GS. Any guidence in getting it dirty would be great. I am located in Charlotte, NC.
1) bring it up to me at Lake Lure and let me know if you want red clay, mud, granite dust and / or leaf humis on it ... I'll let you know when it's ready and you can come get it...the easiest

2) get a delorme atlas for nc ... look for the smallest solid lines that have FS# and go exploring .. the most fun

3) go to the Blue Ridge Parkway ... pick a direction ... when u see a Forest Service gravel road turn off ... go down it
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:29 AM   #48
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrgs
Head to Hot Springs, NC. Stick to the easy routes first and ratchet it up a notch as you gain some confidence. See earlier posts. Also a great place to set up a base camp and hike a bit of the AT just for kicks.

I like Hot Springs a lot...nice little burg with a nearby college town (Mars Hill) and not too far from Asheville if you want to do some wandering around in a comparatively "urban" environment.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #49
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Howdy,

One of the roads we plan on hitting is Big Laurel Rd between Hwy 208 and US 23. I did it several years back and recall it was exceptionally twisty. It really is hard planning routes in that area when I have limited time to ride. There are just so many areas I want to explore! It's like being a kid in a candy shop with only a few bucks to spend

The funny thing is, every time I have been to NC, I always find that when I start heading home, my thoughts turn to trying to figure out how I can make a living there so I won't have to go home At first, I thought it was just me. I have since seen that look of concentration on the face of other riders and a brief inquiry confirmed that is what they too were thinking about.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:37 AM   #50
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
all the other roads in the area, SSR1182 or Harmon Den Road will be ok on the GS / V-Strom, just gravel / dirt.

you have to look hard for Hurricane Creek, I saw it for literally decades when I went thru I-40W & wondered about it.

My bud from the flatlands finally got a traily so last year we did it.

can u say rocks?
technical, first gear, up on the pegs, crawling, rocks?
and water?
can u say creek crossings?
crossed Hurricane on the way in & it was a foot deep or so ...

on the way back it was tank deep and roaring
boulders were underwater and it was a quick 1 second rush
do it or go downstream

then I read about it on TOD!!!!

Harmon Den goes under I-40 and crosses the Pigeon River on a "ford" concrete and meets up with Cove Creek / Mt Sterling Rd in the GSMNP.
It's also called 12 mile on that side
a good easy ride
DirtDAWG tooks us down Hurricane during the BYOB. Didn't find it much of a challenge, even on dp tires. Did some more interesting stuff going up to the lookout the long near Hot Springs.

209 south out of Hot Springs is my fave. Rode a bunch down there, did Deals, and for me 209 was perfect. Turn and burn, 4th gear guarantees you'll see god much quicker tha you'd planned. Got a really nice flow to it, and the length is just right for a warp speed session, then relax up 28 coming out. Can follow that up with the 308? 213? goes NW to TN, not a bad road either.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:55 AM   #51
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
209 south out of Hot Springs is my fave. Rode a bunch down there, did Deals, and for me 209 was perfect. Turn and burn, 4th gear guarantees you'll see god much quicker tha you'd planned. Got a really nice flow to it, and the length is just right for a warp speed session, then relax up 28 coming out. Can follow that up with the 308? 213? goes NW to TN, not a bad road either.
Thanks a lot for the apt description of a perfect day. I'll be daydreaming all day.

And you're right...4th gear is just right to set your teeth on edge and make your eyes as big as platters. 3rd gear with engine braking is a nice zen-like ride. 4th makes me utter squeaking noises in my helmet. (or "helment" as they say on Ebay.)

If I had some money to play with, I'd figure out a way to set up shop in Hot Springs. LOVE that place.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #52
xtphreak

Quote:
DirtDAWG tooks us down Hurricane during the BYOB. Didn't find it much of a challenge, even on dp tires. Did some more interesting stuff going up to the lookout the long near Hot Springs.

you mean the tower on Hall Top off Low Gap Road? the uphill from the TN side is the only tricky spot

haven't been on Hurricane Creek since last year and it was ok with the
XT and DP tires ... just don't think a GS would be fun crawling over all those knobbly sections with loose rock. Really don't think a V-Strom would be fun at all.

not sure about the 308/ 213 reference ... paved? gravel? where does it start / stop?
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 08-11-2004, 10:09 AM   #53
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
you mean the tower on Hall Top off Low Gap Road? the uphill from the TN side is the only tricky spot

haven't been on Hurricane Creek since last year and it was ok with the
XT and DP tires ... just don't think a GS would be fun crawling over all those knobbly sections with loose rock. Really don't think a V-Strom would be fun at all.

not sure about the 308/ 213 reference ... paved? gravel? where does it start / stop?
yep.

Yep.

Musn't be the right numbers, then. Go NE out of Hot Springs towards Mars Hill. After 5? miles, it T-junctions. Right to Mars Hill, left to TN. That left is the one.

But 209 is the shit.

And Photog, don't be bitchin about it. You'll probably be up there this weekend. I, on the other hand, probably won't see it for a couple of years. That means you'll have to do 209 twice every time you go. Once for me, and once for yourself.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #54
xtphreak

if he ain't I will be ...

since:
1) it's only about 50 miles away from Beautiful Lake Lure
2) wifey poo is going to visit her kids all weekend
3) the XT is crying for dirt ... been commuting to GSP all week
4) the Venture restoration .... well hell it's supposed to be a winter project, hmmm
5) since the Venture ain't ridable I ain't going to Abalama (spelled like I say it) with my buddy on the Futura to see no damn bike museum when the weather says
ride
ride
ride
ride
ride

eat
drink (beer)

piss
sleep

repeat
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #55
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Howdy,

One of the roads we plan on hitting is Big Laurel Rd between Hwy 208 and US 23. I did it several years back and recall it was exceptionally twisty. It really is hard planning routes in that area when I have limited time to ride. There are just so many areas I want to explore! It's like being a kid in a candy shop with only a few bucks to spend

The funny thing is, every time I have been to NC, I always find that when I start heading home, my thoughts turn to trying to figure out how I can make a living there so I won't have to go home At first, I thought it was just me. I have since seen that look of concentration on the face of other riders and a brief inquiry confirmed that is what they too were thinking about.

Adios,
yepper
I grew up on the coast
can u say FLAT
SANDY
FLAT
MUD FLAT
but Wilmington has lotsa bikini clad babes

now I have what I wanted,
a log cabin in a great area to ride (Lake Lure)
a good bike XT600E '95
a good wife (well hell part of the time anyway)
a hot tub
except I have to commute 65 miles to Greenville, SC to support my habits
oh well .. there are a couple of detours on the way home that just make me smile when I get there
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 08-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #56
xtphreak

found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Howdy,

Adios,
is Big Laurel Road paved?
looks like it is on my Topo 4.0
looks good though
may have to run it & see

thanks
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 08-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #57
xtphreak

Quote:
yep.

Yep.

Musn't be the right numbers, then. Go NE out of Hot Springs towards Mars Hill. After 5? miles, it T-junctions. Right to Mars Hill, left to TN. That left is the one.

But 209 is the shit.

And Photog, don't be bitchin about it. You'll probably be up there this weekend. I, on the other hand, probably won't see it for a couple of years. That means you'll have to do 209 twice every time you go. Once for me, and once for yourself.
looks like 208 off 25 at Hurricane?
then it splits again @ Belva?
go right to 352 to Rocky Fork & Ernestville?
or left to Tenn where it goes 4 lane?
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E