Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #76
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
McD,

I'm curious, if you're getting 70+ mpg, why are you carrying so much extra fuel? It appears the stock tank is small (~1.5 gal.?) so I could understand an extra fuel can but you have three(!). Couldn't you have made do with one and saved yourself from hauling the extra weight?

Enjoying the RR, thanks!

Dave.
Right now two tanks are empty, and 1 gallon in the other as reserve.

There is a leg on this trip that requires all 3 fuel tanks to be full-- based on pre-ride route planning.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 01:41 AM
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #77
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Macadam, you are to be congratulated for your perseverance, ingenuity and creativity! Wow. It's so cool when someone really puts their personal touch on adventure riding! Be safe and best wishes!
Cheers,
PS: I hope you don't mind, I spread the word of your report.

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
killstrees
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
incredible trip

Nice trip, looks fun. I am in Kalispell if you need a wrench or someone to catch a cold one with. My ride is a TTR-250 and I have been looking at building some racks like that. May have to poach some ideas from your pics. Hopefully it isn't snowing up at marias pass today.
killstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #79
Macadam Drifter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
FWIW, we're ~6-700 miles east of you on the MT/ND border and the weather is pure-D crap the entire way. I'd stay right where you're at for the time being.
Thanks for the information.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #80
Macadam Drifter OP

Day Four RR-Did I Mention It Was Cold

Here I am in Shelby standing in the shower, steam is wafting throughout the room and I'm hanging onto the pipe just behind the shower nozzle, and warming myself like a hunk of frozen meat.

Today I had a frozen smile on my face as I contemplated the following between shivers of cold;

Back in eastern Washington why do Kamikaze ground squirrels run diagonally across the road just in front of your tire? Is this an adolescent youth squirrel thing or.......

Also back in Libby, MT at the cafe where I had breakfast-this guy came out and asked me the usual questions; what kind of bike, are those stock tires, etc. The 200cc thing was hard for him to comprehend. When his buddy with a toothpick in his mouth comes out of the cafe, his friend says something like this, "Hey Fred, this guy is going across the country on a chainsaw engine and he's pulling a trailer to boot". (I just chuckled to myself).

So this is what goes through my mind when I'm cold-I don't want to deal with it and need to suppress .........such.........thoughts.................... ......about..................................c..o. .l....d..................

Anyway for today's RR.

Whitefish to Shelby, MT

I decided to press on and resolved myself to make a route decision at East Glacier; where either I stay on my planned route up to St. Mary or to continue east on US 2 to Cut Bank or Shelby and there get a motel and figure things out.

Well I’m in Shelby at a local motel. I just got back from dinner and then went to a movie at the local bijou. Star Trek was showing and about 25 locals were at the theater, I was the only stranger, since everybody else knew everybody. So the logical question was, “Who are you? And a little girl came up to me in a scolding tone asked, “Why are you wearing sandals, don’t you know its cold out? That drew a big laugh from the locals. Fortunately, I suppress my WC Fields comment about kids.

Flashback---I was beyond shivering by the time I got into town. So, I took a long hot shower and that’s when I started shivering (not a good thing!). Did I mention it was COLD!!!!!

I left the KOA at 8:00 and took a back route to Glacier Park. This route was mostly paved but had some gravel sections.
It was cold and the wind was from the north, some real good gusts moving the bike two feet or so to the left and right before the correction I put in held, then another gust would move the bike in the opposite direction.

Did I mention it was COLD!!!!

Here's a pic just west of Glacier as I was working my way to US 2 via the Belton Stage Road.

Cold, strong winds from the north, and dark threatening clouds--I wonder what means? I think it means its a good day to ride. (Did I mention it was COLD!!!!!)

Along Belton Stage Road I came across this lake (I need to look up the name). The sky was clear, the winds blustery, the snow peaks white, and covered with fresh snow.

I had to stop to take a picture. It was sort of ironic, new snow on the mountains, flowers in bloom, and the boats were out on the lake.

If you look at the tops of the tree you can get an idea of how windy it was.

At 4500 just past the Halfway Motel/Cafe, I had some breakfast. I entered the snow zone. I pulled into this campground to fill up my water bottle and to relieve myself of some coffee.

I finally reached Marias Pass (the continental divide) so theoretically its all downhill from here. The TW had officially crossed the Rockys.

Katabatic heating surely will now occur as I descend and the snow will turn to rain, (not if its a northeast wind, Oh Kimche Breath).

I took some pictures here and ran into two groups of bikers all who were coming from St. Mary. They were clearing out because of the snow and cold (Wusses, I thought). They suggested I turn around "its just getting worse".

Some further chit chit and we all went our own way. The lady in the covered sidecar looked real cold and pissed for some reason.

Did I mention it was COLD!!!

Made it to East Glacier, my go/no go point. I gased up the bike, donated a little coffee to the East Glacier Water Recycling Center, and walked around town.

You know how difficult it is to go to the bathroom with lots of layers of clothes on, knee/shin guards, etc.

I noticed the roofs of the buildings had lots of snow, the cars parked overnight on the street had lots of snow, the little kids were decorating pine trees and singing Christmas Carols, people coming into East Glacier from St. Mary were confused and cold, and not sure which way to go---but espresso looked good to them. Except for this one little kid who was eating an ice cream cone and carrying a large cup of pop, (probably had extra ice in it too). I guess cold effects all of us differently!!!

I got to Browning and it was still snowing and the further east I went the colder it got.

It was a northeast wind; when I was passed by other vehicles the bike would accelerate in the draft of the passing vehicle, if there was opposite direction traffic the turbulence of the oncoming traffic would bounce you around real good. (Didn't see another motorcycle since East Glacier)

By the way I have come to the following conclusion--JIMBO-the windshield you designed for the TW is perfect-it really does a good job-THANK YOU.

I was now heading to Shelby with the possibility of stopping in Cutbank if someplace good to stay would reveal itself (stopped in Cutbank and almost stayed-- at a real dive-there was no one at the desk, just a note to call this number and eventually someone might show up if they felt like it...., I warmed up, my brain cells were functioning again, I was now able to comprehend the situation-there was no way I was going to stay in this place)---so Shelby here I come.

Note to owners of dive motels-never give customer a chance to warm up-its bad for business.

So here I am in Shelby, got a room and the first thing I did was shower-it felt great.

Tonight I'm going to check the weather. I have decided to stay close to US 2 (traveling on farm roads north and south of US 2) and as soon as the weather clears I will turn north and continue on the planned route.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 01:35 AM
Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #81
Macadam Drifter OP

Malta, MT Next?

Well the weather is bad but I can keep moving.

Got up a 5am to check the local weather and TWC. Not encouraging news

But I'm glad that my trip is not going through the midwest with all those tornadoes. The Vortex 2 folks on the TWC have an interesting job, and the videos are spectacular.

The weather people are forecasting record lows in this part of Montana with accumulations of snow/slush of 1/2 inch (not good for a bike on the road). It rained last night and its cold but it is not as cold as yesterday.

I plan to be packed and on the road by 9 or 10 and be in Malta between 2-5.

As soon as the weather improves I will get back on my northern route. But right now things don't look good until Wednesday, (which means three more days of slogging it out)
Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #82
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Just caught up. Once again, awesome RR. IPA's are my favorite but never had one of out that container I have Jimbos shield under my Spitfire shield. Jimbos is great for dual sporting but the Spitfire cuts the wind all the way to your neck (but will act as a guillotine when off roading) Try it out for your next trip - about 3x the wind protection

Stay Warm! Can't wait for whats next
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #83
Winterfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thumb

Very impressed with your set-up. Just watched TWC and they showed all the snow in MT, up to 5" in some areas. Crazy for June!

Motor on safe and add extra layers under your jacket. If you find a snowmobile dealer around I'm sure they will have sledding gloves on clearance.

Have fun and be safe.

2008 Yamaha WR250R

2010 Husaberg FE450
Winterfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #84
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
True Grit

This RR has True Grit written all over it!
Have a safe adventure

Glen
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #85
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Now this is what Adv rider is all about.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #86
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Excellent RR Macadam Drifter, I've been subscribed from the beginning!

You're bike telepathically told me her name ... it's Mavis ... Mavis the Pack Mule.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #87
Macadam Drifter OP

Thumb Naming the TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Excellent RR Macadam Drifter, I've been subscribed from the beginning!

You're bike telepathically told me her name ... it's Mavis ... Mavis the Pack Mule.
"Miraculous Mavis"

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

MkD
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #88
Macadam Drifter OP

Day Five Shelby to Malta

It wasn’t as cold today as it was yesterday but it was wet. I suited up with everything I had for both wet and cold; polar fleece undergarments, and Aerostich three finger rain gloves both proved to be up to the task. The left glove has a small squeegee on the thumb that is very useful for removing rain from the face shield.

If you ever saw the movie “Young Frankenstein” with Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman, the graveyard scene where they are digging up the body definitely reflects on today’s ride.
Wilder: “What a filthy dirty job”
Marty Feldman: “It could be worse”
Wilder: “How?”
Feldman: “It could be raining”
Then you hear the crack of thunder and the rain begins. The camera zooms into Marty’s face for that ironic look.

Well that sums up today’s ride. The morning was cold and raining, lines of showers and soakers. Then some blue sky to tease you and then repeat the process again and again. Any time you took of some gear it would rain then you’d have to put the gear back on and the rain stopped. So I left all the gear on all the time.

My motel room in Shelby-that neon sign made all the difference.

This photo shows where I wanted to be (north of those mountains). But snow and muddy roads made the northern route impassable. You can only see the base of Gold Butte in the Sweetgrass Range.

Stopped in Chester at a place called the TJ Café, Don stopped in to read the paper and have just a wee bit of coffee in his 10 gallon mug. The saucy waitress (named Timber) was getting a bunch of crap from Don and she was dishing it right back.
A local farmer stopped in and asked Don about the weather. The farmer said to Don, “If its not cold enough for you-- then you should have been here yesterday".

Don and the farmer were discussing how muddy the roads were up north, a lot of people stuck, "A real mess". Anytime a truck would enter US 2 from one of the side dirt roads they would leave several hundred pounds of mud on the highway for a distance of several hundred yard then semis would pick up this mud and sling it at the on coming traffic.

A common friend on this route, if not seen, regularly heard, the BNSF

Rudyard Montana - This sign says it all!!!!

These clear spots would only get your hopes up but then it would soon rain again. You could alway look just north of your route to see the weather that was going to hit you next.

Inside of my top box,

Business Cards Collected along route

Registration, etc Fuel Log

Not sure where I am going tomorrow but the weather is improving and I want to head north back towards my original route.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 11:19 PM
Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #89
Schmatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I love everything about this RR.

Schmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #90
Macadam Drifter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Just caught up. Once again, awesome RR. IPA's are my favorite but never had one of out that container I have Jimbos shield under my Spitfire shield. Jimbos is great for dual sporting but the Spitfire cuts the wind all the way to your neck (but will act as a guillotine when off roading) Try it out for your next trip - about 3x the wind protection

Stay Warm! Can't wait for whats next
I could not take the pitcher with me so they put the beer into a clean pop corn container.

One must be flexible, and adapt.

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 07:35 PM