ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Ladder106 OP
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
June 2009 Rieff Rd. Rayhouse Rd. Update with Photos

I just installed some Ricor Racing shocks Intiminators in the forks of the Africa/Alp and wanted to give 'em the Acid Test. I also though I'd see what Rieff/Rayhouse was looking like.

Here we go:

Entering the road from Cache Creek/County Rd 40. The gate gap has been widened. Any bike can fit through:

The weight limit on the bridge has been radically "redesigned". I LOVE this sign. It's just soooo legalesse. Just what in the name of Davey Crocket's sweat-stained Buckskins does this mean?

"Cross at Your Own Risk"??
"Anything under 1999.99999 lbs is OK"?
"You Must be Weightless to Cross This Bridge"??
(.....add your interpretation here.......)

Just to try it out I stopped in the middle, got off and jumped up and down.....Bridge is still there....didn't even budge. Maybe if you're riding a GS.............

Up at the top, the Ridge road to the Raft launch point is good.

The raft launch area looks pretty deserted. I saw no evidence of larger vehicles using this road. I guess the raft companies had to abandon when the county refused to maintain the bridge.

Climbing back up from the creek there are two sections that are fairly washed out. Pick a good line through here. If you're on streety rubber, pick a VERY good line and remember momentum is your friend here. The problem is, the two don't always mix well.

Coming down to the lake, the washouts get a bit deeper and more frequent.

People have told me it's called the Victory Tree....dunno why.....no sign of the Bald Eagle today. (nest in left fork)

Climbing up to Berryessa/Knoxville, the washouts get deeper. They are passable but if you're not sure, get off and walk it first. Pick a good line and all is fine. This will, however, get worse every winter until the big bikes will be very challenged to get by.

Gate at the west (Berryessa/Knoxville Rd.) end was open and LOCKED open

So, the road is totally passable. Knobbies make the ride less work and more fun but it's still doable with smoother tires (as long as it's dry). Your line is just less "forgiving"

Go have a good time....and be gentle with the bridge.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-21-2009 at 10:01 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,105
Wow, the river sure was a lot lower when I crossed it a couple weeks ago.

Most of the road heading over to knoxville-berryessa was easy stuff, although the loose silt made my top heavy camping load a bit squirrelly at times. There were 2 or 3 rough sections that were a bit tricky for a relative novice like myself, but I managed OK on an F800GS.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
thanks for the ride report. haven't been up to rayhouse rd. since may/june. the roads from 4 corner to the back of blue ridge (fieske creek rd). was pretty bad in places towads the back, then.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Ladder106 OP
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
I just rode this (along with Sand Creek and Western Mine/Ida Clayton) on my way to Stewart's Point yesterday.

Some helpful soul had taken a dozer up the west side and smoothed over some of the rougher washes.

However, the dozer, being a dozer, left behind some deep silt in places with rocks hiding underneath. This occurs mainly on some of the tighter switch-backs where the dozer has to grind around on it's treads.

Also....the county has moved the concrete barrier on the entrance at Cache Creek. The opening now is more narrow than in the photo. It's wide enough for a GS (just) but I don't think a quad can get through without lifting one end.

West side gate remains wide open. The campground at Cache Creek on the east side is posted "Closed for the Winter).
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote