User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
SgtMike OP
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,129
Charlotte, NC to New Delhi, India - The Journey Continues

October 2007, Chanderjeet was the first scholarship rider for International Frienship Program. Brought to us by ADVRider members to share the one thing that we have in common, motorcycle touring. After a truly inspirational outpouring of generosity and friendship, we all experienced CJ's Journey Into Friendship. In 2008, Shurstik (Alexy) from Vladivostok, Russia was the second rider we had the priveledge to meet.

It was my honor to host both of these guys and now consider them friends and welcome in my home, door is always open fellas.

When CJ and I parted ways in VA, I promised to come visit someday. June 10th is that someday! Passport recieved, India visa secured, plane ticket purchased, chore monies saved. Chanderjeet has been kind enough to recieve me and make some amazing arrangements for the trip. Motorcycle, vacation time, a place to crash, hanging out with this regular guy from North Carolina... my gratitude and many blessings are with my friend Chanderjeet and his Richa.

We will be carrying on a program that CJ started last year; Bikers for Books. Donated books and school supplies will be delivered to village schools in the northern mountain areas. Last year was the begining, this year is only the continuation of this great cause. The years to come will be amazing!

This is me, average joe (SgtMike);

SgtMike screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 06:14 PM Reason: spelling
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
SgtMike OP
facebook.com/mikeraces

Cool2 Here's some of my stuff...

The temps in New Delhi, according to CJ, are well into the 90f - 100f range. We'll be drinking water by the truck load! But once we get into the mountains and up to higher elevation, temps will vary from 30'sf to 80'sf. I'm bringing lots of layers, liners, and waterproof stuff. Helmet, riding jacket/pants, WP touring boots, warm and cold gloves. A little of which are shown here;

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
SgtMike OP
facebook.com/mikeraces

Some gear for the road...

In addition to hotel stays, some nights will be spent in my trusty 4-person tent. The green monster has seen a few nights camping, but it's got plenty more to go. Road gear includes gas cans (2 galllon), bungies, zip ties, sleepbag, multi-tool - most of which CJ has, but, why spend $$ if I can bring my stuff. Some things will be purchased in New Delhi before departure on the bikes, updates will be submitted.

SgtMike screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 06:16 PM Reason: me no spell
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,032
enjoy!

'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,589
Best wishes for a safe journey! Looking forward to your updates

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Leget

Oddometer: 533
Thumb Time flies.....

SgtMike,

Best wishes for you on your journey....sounds like it will be an amazing trip.

You have less than a week before you ship out.....and we never seemed to work out the time to get a little dirt riding in before you left.

We still have time, I'm sure I can find an extra bike around here somewhere. Just give me a call..or PM...or email......

Be safe,
Michael
Leget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
vmabuck
Clutch Killah

Oddometer: 441
OohRah!

Yut kill and all that bullshit.

Have a good ride brother!
vmabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Ride safely and far - looking forward to this one! Subscribed.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732

We'll have your bike arranged this week and ready for you before you reach.

Heads up on the road status, recent words of a fellow inmate

4 laning in progress before Kiratpur - arbit diversions. Normally not so bad, but the rain has turned the diversion sections to slush in places, not such a big problem though.

Some repairs on the Bilaspur Mandi sector - with marble sized stones scattered all over the other side of the road. Interesting if you chance upon it on the curves at speed.

Marhi to Rohtang top + a couple of km on the other side. Usual makeshift road building has gone west, this road is really the pits. You got it all, potholes, slush etc. Past Rohtang top, in the afternoon, once the snow melt accelerates, you get to go wade thru a cold, high altitude 40 cm deep swimming pool as well (no other way), water above axle depth, 10 cm below spark plug, so it may make sense to do this bit early in the morning. Baralacha la is in the worst shape - when I went there, a days after the road had opened, it was merely a path cut thru the ice walls with one slippery track extending partially thru the packed snow, and another wheel track in the 6" deep ice water nullah (which is what you should ride thru, as you will get some traction).

Nakeela and Lalchangla - smaller (and easier) versions of above

Beware of snow at Tanglangla - I got screwed there by a sudden snowfall, rocks and slush frozen solid, once the snow covers the ground and obscured the rocks, even getting the bike thru at walking pace is not a possibility. And at 5000+ meters and at least 10 minus, you'd better have survival gear, and rations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
General Idea of what we plan to do...

We'll be stone throw away from pakistan
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
A few more things!

Puncture sealant may not be such a bad idea. Though you will always have somebody in the cities/towns/villages do it for you fast, cheap and good, once you are in the boonies, every bit of struggling at 4500m is something you want to avoid. i think you may be able to purchase this in Delhi.

Where do you plan to camp? Equipment can be hired at Leh as well as Manali and the whole area is dotted with hotels that are both good and cheap.

Please carry a lot of newspapers with you getting them is a difficult proposition in some parts, and they behave both as insulators (against cold) and boot dryers. An alternative to heavy waterproof boots (which will have your feet cook in Delhi), is to have a lighter, non waterproof pair + one set of overshoes, which do a great job of layering and insulating your feet as well. Besides, good overshoes such as Neos will give you a much better grip on packed snow as well.

Last, but not the least - antifungal dusting powder, esp if you have waterproof boots, and for the rest of your innerwear. Again available easily in Delhi, or anywhere for that matter, OTC.

Have a great time. Hopefully, most of the roads will have had some sort of repair by the time you reach there. The scenery will BLOW you away, as will the hospitality!
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
This ones gonna be good !!

looking forward to an amazing RR.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,478
Thumb

Awesome. I hope to also be hosted by CJ some day.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 261
SgtMike,
Lemme know if you need a hand with anything, I am just down the street from you! Good luck bud!

Nate
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Awesome

Mike,
I sent you a PM. Have an awesome trip.

Gero
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote