User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 605
T-POWER

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #32
MGN54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Always liked the Tuono! Nice pics, guys. I'm not too far from AF1 Racing. What can one expect to pay for a valve inspection/adjustment? I think I could handle the rest.
MGN54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #33
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Welcome Eddie Nice bike , I have a problem with my bike which is that I keep wanting to ride it

out of interest what difference did the Ohlyns make

AIrey, na its not a high mantenece Ducati thing , think of it as a Italian Honda and youl get the Idea
The Öhlins makes a huge difference. Especially if you ride on bumpy roads like I do. It is incredibly sensitive and combines firmness and compliance in a perfect way. The original feels like an overworked pogostick in comparison.

Reliability is first class. There is also a 4 year warranty should anything go wrong. There are a few issues that are well known: rear brake needs a bleed every month, the display is prone to condencing.

I also have a BMW HP2 MM. Both bikes can do most of the same things, but the feel is totally different. The MM is more comfy, has more punch and handles better in the tight stuff. I love both bikes very much!
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Hmm, the dealer is telling me it is a 2 year warranty- I'll ask him again. So what is the hot header- silencer set up for these. I think I've seen 3 different brands besides stock.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #35
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal
Well...
gonna try my luck with the terrible fuel range to Alaska.
I've been enjoying the Tuono for a few weeks now, and can squeeze 200K from a tank, with an open road and some aggressive riding, but otherwise behaving in a lawful manner. Brilliant bike. Love the sound, the feel and the fact that is a rather uncommon bike (service and parts aside, can still be a pain when all parts are a week or 2 away)
Welcome immortal, did my first lot of cummuting today Tuono was great in traffic lots of control and plenty of grunt to punch into holes in the traffic , O and one nauty wheely at 85kph on motorway to show off to a hotted up ute driver , fuel light flashed at 155kms and I filled it at 165kms it took 15litres so I had 3litre left enough for another 33kms so were looking at 198kms stone dry with mixed riding about 60% highway at 110kph the rest round town

MCmad screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 01:04 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #36
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King
Hmm, the dealer is telling me it is a 2 year warranty- I'll ask him again. So what is the hot header- silencer set up for these. I think I've seen 3 different brands besides stock.
Original headers are ok. Slip-ons get rid of the cat and needs only activation of Map 2 already installed in the ecu. Engine performance is a lot better in this state.

I have Arrows on mine, but Akrapovic, Shark, Leo Vince etc all make great cans for the T. It really sounds like thunder
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #37
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank
Hi Kramer !
I knew you still thought about your Tuono!! I still think about the black one I sold - should have kept it for a commuter.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #38
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
690 SMC is awesome if you only ride on twisty roads. it's so light I can ride all day and not get tired.

tuono/RSV - VERY stable in turns. EASY to ride fast. allows you to endure straight and bumpy roads.

superduke R - VERY stiff. I have yet to dial in the suspension. it does not give me the confidence RSVR does. FI is OK once mapped and O2 removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Sounds like you may know what your talking about would like to hear your comparison between KTM 690 and your Superduke verses Tuono

My thoughts from rides Ive had, would be 690 lacks midrange punch but is sweet handling and revs well and perhaps slightly boring

not riden Superduke but Injection is real bad on 990sm , I couldnt live with that power is packed lower in revs on sm almost seems short geared sort of between a buell and a Tuono

Welcome to Lowonfuel, dwenglis and Jbird as well nice bikes , Iam thinking of Doing an owner Register like I have on DR800 site if I have timehttp://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7393437&postcount=1
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #39
dwenglis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Finished my engine run-in today . If the weather holds tomorrow I will explore the upper rpms. yea to me!
dwenglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #40
IndianJoe
Little Lebowski Achiever

Oddometer: 171
If I ever have room for a second bike, it will be a Tuono. They are just too cool for school.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #41
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwenglis
Finished my engine run-in today . If the weather holds tomorrow I will explore the upper rpms. yea to me!
You must have no police were you live as my bike is run in and my rev light is set to 8000rpm and I havnt seen it flash lately even when wheelying, its my go to jail warning, I dont expect to have to adjust it till I get to the track ( I know, you want to try her and see how she goes, I did that with the demo bike I rode and saw 11500 rpm once )

The Forbidden fruit of motorcycling A
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #42
Jambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have a '05 Tuono, the last of the first gen model. I have a Arrow Ti can and a Gabro Eprom chip, amongst a few other bits and pieces.

Glad to see some other Tuono owners on here, I'll stick a picture up soon.
Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
_Tuf_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
checking in

I've had my 07.5 for 1.5 years now. It's a great bike. Some common problems/complaints are:

- weak rear brake. There's a specific bleed procedure for this that works pretty well. The brake never really bites but I don't think it's designed to. It's nice for trail braking into turns but 90% of your stopping will be with the front calipers.

- Fogging clocks/guages. There's supposedly a fix for this too but I have not had it happen in the 12.5k miles so far.

- breakage in the suspension link plates. Rare but reported to happen. You can preempt this for about $50 by ordering a sturdier version from AF1.

- poor mileage/range. Don't push the bike past 135 miles if you've been riding hard. Not much farther even if you haven't. Low to mid 30s if you've done any of the 'must-do' mods. It is not a bike for the greenie-weenie enviros.

- insurance. Check with your carrier. Farmers does all my insurance but gave me a flat-out "No" when I tried to cover the Tuono. Geico had good rates but YMMV.

A short list of popular mods are:

- new cans (duh). Coring the stocks is what I did. I favor a more stock look but wanted the EFI flashed to 'Map2' which is the more track-oriented fuel map and it is not recommended on the stock exhaust.

- Ohlins rear shock. It does make a big difference though my bike is on the stock Sachs.

- Sag. Go to a dealer and have them help you set this, it makes a world of difference even on the so-so stock shock and forks. Though this would apply to just about any bike.

- gearing. The stock gearing is a 16t counter sprocket on the front and 40 on the rear which it a bit too tall. Going to a 15 front and 42 or 43 on the rear really wakes the bike up on the low end. Between this and the fuel map you'll feel like you're on a different bike (in a good way).

One more potential problem is to make sure that when you are setting out on a nice ride:

and you're actually having a nice time:

that your clever friend with his camera is nice enough to record your performance award from Officer Friendly:

Anything makes sense if you don't know what you're talking about.
_Tuf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #44
MCmad OP
Banned

Welcome jambo and Tuf will add you to owner registra post 1
will await pics jambo
Tuf the roads look CA ish and havnt you heard the line " IT wasnt me officer"
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #45
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
So, what can a guy expect to pay for a '09 Tuono? What would be a good deal?
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote