User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
High Plains Drifter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Medicine Bow Range... Mondo Wyoming!

Just got back from a 4 day trek up into the Medicine Bow Range in South-Central Wyoming. No surprises, it was a great trip. I left Grand Lake, CO and headed to Steamboat. Then north up past Hahn's Peak and to Carbon, CO. From there I went east on Rt. 70 and camped at a cool spot called Battle Creek campground-an unimproved/free place that had excellent fishing for brook trout and some cut-bows too.
Attached Images

High Plains Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
High Plains Drifter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Medicine Bows...Day 2

From Battle Creek I continued east towards Encampment where I had a dam good deli style sammi before heading back into the hills. I had plans to go to a camp spot near Hog Park Resevoir but because of tree clearing operations, many of the camps in the pine beetle epicenter are closed. So I headed further east and south to a stealth spot on a small creek which had phenomenal brook trout fishing and a serious mosquito issue. Non-the-less, it was a free spot and I had it all to myself.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
High Plains Drifter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Medicine Bows... Day 3

Upon waking from a Dickle and Coke induced deep slumber, I arose only to find my tent completely surrounded by blood thirsty mossis. So, I quickly put on bug proof gear and made a fire. The only place to be was in the stream of smoke to keep the bugs away.
From the stealth spot, I entered the land of "wish I had a GPS/outdated map world". From the Wyoming Gazateer I thought I could route up through a bunch of improved dirt roads and 4WD roads and pop out on the hwy between Cowdry and Saratoga. But, after about 60 miles of navigation I arrived at a gated ranch near the Skyline range called Platt Range. The kind yet hermit-like woman was kind enough to tell me that I had to backtrack all the way to Encampment to get back on the road-even though I was only 2 miles from it. So, I did indeed backtrack to Encampment. I had a premium BBQ/bacon cheeseburger for lunch and then headed up towards Saratoga where I cut off on rt. 130 heading east and into the Snowy Range to go up over Snowy Pass and camp somewhere on the eastern side. The drive was excellent!
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
High Plains Drifter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Medicine Bows... Day 4

Camp on my 3rd night was the best yet. It was at an established camp spot just down from Libby Flats. It was quiet, had plenty of wood and of course, a stream next to it.
The morning of day 4 I packed up and headed into the small town of Centenial and kept going to rt. 11, the south towards Lake Owen and Wilson Lake. I had planned on another night around that area, but it was hot and the camping didn't look that good, so I decided to call it a trip and head back to Grand Lake for some home-cooked food, my honey, and cozy bed.
Attached Images