Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #91
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherm View Post
any step by step directions on a valve adjustment ? how to do it.. it will be my first adjustment..go easy on me :)
I'm looking for this as well. Any websites that have some good high-res pictures? Even if they're not specific to the WR400, (some other yamaha WR/YZ, maybe?) it would help me out a lot. I've got the factory shop manual, but its pretty dense. I like having pictures!

I've checked the valves on my DR200, but that was way easier since it has external valve covers that you can slip the feeler gauge into. I used some good pics from a Chinese DR clone as a guide which helped me out quite a bit. And even then, I didn't have to adjust anything.

I just finished putting new seals into my mountain bike shock, so I feel as if I can mend anything!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #92
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
hold tight help is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
I'm looking for this as well. Any websites that have some good high-res pictures? Even if they're not specific to the WR400, (some other yamaha WR/YZ, maybe?) it would help me out a lot. I've got the factory shop manual, but its pretty dense. I like having pictures!

I've checked the valves on my DR200, but that was way easier since it has external valve covers that you can slip the feeler gauge into. I used some good pics from a Chinese DR clone as a guide which helped me out quite a bit. And even then, I didn't have to adjust anything.

I just finished putting new seals into my mountain bike shock, so I feel as if I can mend anything!
I am about to replace the gearbox in my 426 so I will post the correct method of measuring clearances and installing the correct shim pads. Belive it or not the hardest part is to read the chart. I will scan my shim chart and post it to show how to read it as well.

The wr 400 and yz 426 heads are nearly the same (I actually have a wr400 head on my yz426 the porting, in my opinion, seems gives it a little more bottom end power)

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #93
weatherm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Do tell do tell...will be my first time also
weatherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #94
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I am about to replace the gearbox in my 426 so I will post the correct method of measuring clearances and installing the correct shim pads. Belive it or not the hardest part is to read the chart. I will scan my shim chart and post it to show how to read it as well.

The wr 400 and yz 426 heads are nearly the same (I actually have a wr400 head on my yz426 the porting, in my opinion, seems gives it a little more bottom end power)

That would be awesome!

Also, my Big Gun exhaust is a rusty piece of crap (I bought it that way). I'm thinking about going back to a stock exhaust (found a local one for $75) but need to find a header. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #95
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685
Quote:
That would be awesome!

Also, my Big Gun exhaust is a rusty piece of crap (I bought it that way). I'm thinking about going back to a stock exhaust (found a local one for $75) but need to find a header. Any ideas?
I got a complete biggun with a header I may be willing to part with. A friend of mine, from this forum, made me an insert and it is very quiet.. Recently repacked too.. Not rusty, but its used.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #96
Dragonknee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Curious about your exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I got a complete biggun with a header I may be willing to part with. A friend of mine, from this forum, made me an insert and it is very quiet.. Recently repacked too.. Not rusty, but its used.
How quiet or unquiet is the big gun pipe. I am buying a 2000 WR400 and the pipe thats on it is noisy and I pretty sure it will drive me nuts and everyone near me to. The bike I am getting is plated and the only draw back that I can come up with is that it is a kickstart only. I think that the newer cam set up for auto compression release is the call for that.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #97
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonknee View Post
How quiet or unquiet is the big gun pipe. I am buying a 2000 WR400 and the pipe thats on it is noisy and I pretty sure it will drive me nuts and everyone near me to. The bike I am getting is plated and the only draw back that I can come up with is that it is a kickstart only. I think that the newer cam set up for auto compression release is the call for that.
Mines not too noisy, but like I mentioned, Big Gun makes their exhausts from cheap uncoated pot metal and will rust into oblivion.

BTW, the auto-decompression is awesome.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #98
Dragonknee
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool

I really figured at 50 that I should have a electric start bike...but as usual I learn the hard way..(all my life) and so I am going with the kicker...I will look into the cam...what all do you need to do that? thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #99
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

2003 YZ450 cam, and shims. That's it. You can re-use the gasket.

WR400 motor is shim under bucket. Unless you buy a shim kit, this project may take you a day or two. Call around see if any shops carry them in stock.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #100
Dragonknee
Gnarly Adventurer

THanks..

Anyone got a used but good shape 2003 yz450 cam....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #101
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Just get a new one.. They are $160.. Worth every penny. You can also go with hotcams with auto-decompression, but I recommend YZ450 cam.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #102
Dragonknee
Gnarly Adventurer

any one got a cam for sale?

I just curious. What are the specifics for ordering the cams...why not use both of the hot cams...? What years cams work from yamaha. My parts guy said that the numbers were different on all of the cams..So I am just curious. Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #103
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Go with 2003 YZ450 exhaust cam.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #104
Dragonknee
Gnarly Adventurer

My bad

I see above that was said...thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #105
mweitz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
It isn't really too hard to check them. I haven't had to adjust mine yet, they are pretty reliable.

This thread on SBR goes through checking / adjusting them on a WR426F. It is applicable to the 400 and 450.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=21788

Notice how he gets a lot of dirt in the head. I am pretty anal about cleaning the bikes so I don't get a lot of gunk in there, but this is what I did to help keep gunk out of the head.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=856492

Best,

Mark

Quote:

mweitz is offline   Reply With Quote