Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #76
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
If you put the Renthal grips over the stock do you still get heat from the heated grips?
Yes. It is diminished somewhat but I've only found it to matter when it's below 5 degrees Centigrade and raining or if you're bootin' it on the highway at near zero temps. So, for 99% of riding, there is enough heat. If you're off-road, there's so much moving back and forth that your hands don't stay still for long and thus don't really get cold.

If you find there's not enough heat, it's an easy change to reverse.

Also, FYI the heated grips really kick in over 4,000 RPM's so sometimes it's just a matter of dropping down a gear.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 AM   #77
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
If this is the only mod done, then there is relatively LESS throttle input for the same twist of the throttle.

I can try to explain. Let's assume that your throttle hand twists the throttle enough to pull 1cm of throttle cable. That means that 1cm of throttle cable will move off the throttle cam which for the sake of discussion will move the throttle 20 degrees. If you make the throttle cam larger by increasing its diameter with a piece of 14 guage wire/epoxy/tin foil you increase its circumference. Thus, 1cm of movement of the throttle cable on the now bigger cam will result in less than 20 degrees of throttle movement because the 1cm of throttle pull is being effected on a larger effective circumference.

Therefore the same amount of throttle input engages LESS throttle at the throttle pin by twisting it less than it would with the previous smaller cam.
Thanks, makes sense now Gonna have to give this a try.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #78
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA
If you put the Renthal grips over the stock do you still get heat from the heated grips?

Yep. I started the thread about that. I have been running them for 7000 miles. Heated grips work. Take a bit longer to heat up but work just fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #79
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Anyone have a link to which Renthal grips they used or does it not matter? Looking more to reduce hand fatigue and increase comfort.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #80
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Anyone have a link to which Renthal grips they used or does it not matter? Looking more to reduce hand fatigue and increase comfort.
I used the renthal soft compound diamond pattern. They worked well. Reduced hand fatigue & improved control. 7000 miles & showing a little wear. Next I'll try a firmer compound. See the link above for details.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #81
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 Ergonomics to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE
Excellent "How To". Thanks for posting.

I just purchased my F8, and am considering this mod.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #82
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I put a LeoVince Carbon pipe on my F800GS to have a slimmer exhaust to allow for a balanced luggage rack. I found that it also significantly smoothed out the throttle. Night and day. I posted on one of the exhaust threads here and others have found the same thing. No idea why, but it is no longer snatchy in both throttle on and throttle off situations. World of difference.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #83
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
I put a LeoVince Carbon pipe on my F800GS to have a slimmer exhaust to allow for a balanced luggage rack. I found that it also significantly smoothed out the throttle. Night and day. I posted on one of the exhaust threads here and others have found the same thing. No idea why, but it is no longer snatchy in both throttle on and throttle off situations. World of difference.
+1
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #84
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,261
Not sure were to post this, didn't seem appropriate to place it among the thread about it's competator's offering. Bought it to address the snatchy throttle, so here it is. Accelerator plug mod.

If you don't know, it is a resister map and sensor that plugs in line to the airbox sensor, tricking the ECU into believing it is colder outside, when the bike is running in the open loop. Doing so will, result in more fuel being delivered, typically when accelerting. The explanation is on the website.
http://sol2.be/Accelerator/English/index.html#

Frankly I suspected "Snake oil" but the explanation made sense so I spent the $80 bucks and it works.

I already have the G2 throttle tube, but the engine still runs lean at low RPM and that is a PIA if you are trying to ease over rocks at low RPM.

15 minute install and started the bike. The first thing I noticed a steady cadence of both cylinders firing. A far cry when I put it to bed wet the night before, when idle seemed like is was missing a cylinder. After 100 miles or so, it definitely feels smoother and seems like it has more torque when cranking on the throttle at low RPMs. Found a fairly steep hill in the neighborhood and rode up it at 1,500 rpm without a hiccup. So far the mileage is averaging the same as before.

To me, the bike feels like a well tuned carbed bike.

The bike does have a little more popping on low speed decel and every once in a while on a chopped throttle and immediately getting back on it, seems a little undecided how much gas to order up, but went away as I got used to it.

I don't like to recommend where other's spend their money, but those interested enough to read this thread, will find this worth while.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #85
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Thanks ... sounds like the same concept as the BoosterPlug ...

http://boosterplug.com/

only less expensive ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #86
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
^^ very cool solutions with the trick engine mapping devices you two. I am highly intrigued. Now my dilemma is which one to try out...

I suffer from chronic "the more expensive item is the better" syndrome unless I have experience or data... kind of the reason I ended up with a BMW (and I love it!)
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #87
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Not sure were to post this, didn't seem appropriate to place it among the thread about it's competator's offering. Bought it to address the snatchy throttle, so here it is. Accelerator plug mod.

If you don't know, it is a resister map and sensor that plugs in line to the airbox sensor, tricking the ECU into believing it is colder outside, when the bike is running in the open loop. Doing so will, result in more fuel being delivered, typically when accelerting. The explanation is on the website.
http://sol2.be/Accelerator/English/index.html#

Frankly I suspected "Snake oil" but the explanation made sense so I spent the $80 bucks and it works.
+1

I have a combination of an Australian Unifilter, a Leo Vince Carbon Exhaust and the Accelerator Module and I now have a very smooth bike, good bottom end, and a really smooth power curve. It also pulls better at low revs than my old 1100GS and produces more power up the top.

I think the Leo Vince apart from smoothing out the power delivery gave a good boost to the top end with the other mods.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #88
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
^^ very cool solutions with the trick engine mapping devices you two. I am highly intrigued. Now my dilemma is which one to try out...

I suffer from chronic "the more expensive item is the better" syndrome unless I have experience or data... kind of the reason I ended up with a BMW (and I love it!)
They both claim to be "smart" about how they trick the ECU into thinking that it is a lower temperature than actual.

This is key to proper function as the output of the factory temperature sensor is very non-linear. If you inserted a simple reisistor into the circuit it would confuse the hell out of things across the normal range of operating temperatures...

Comparing how well they work would not be very difficult ... if you had a precision ohm meter, a nice temperature controlled test chamber and one each of sensors to mess with... alas I've got none of that handy ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #89
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,343
Laugh The Super fix!

I built the Power Controller! Many Many Happy Customers!
15 minutes - plug and play!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709574

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
They both claim to be "smart" about how they trick the ECU into thinking that it is a lower temperature than actual.

This is key to proper function as the output of the factory temperature sensor is very non-linear. If you inserted a simple reisistor into the circuit it would confuse the hell out of things across the normal range of operating temperatures...

Comparing how well they work would not be very difficult ... if you had a precision ohm meter, a nice temperature controlled test chamber and one each of sensors to mess with... alas I've got none of that handy ...

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 11:17 AM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #90
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
coonass's fix

u all should buy this - it works and its made in the usa
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote