Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #91
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
u all should buy this - it works and its made in the usa
I've been using it for 2 weeks. It's like butter. Throttle on/off is smooth. More power low end, mid range is similar but it pulls MUCH further into the rev range. No clatter/clatter as it builds up.

I recommend it 100%
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #92
Big_D
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I believe!

Installed the Coonass Controller and it works like a charm. Easy install and no problems routing lines and switch.
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #93
Magoo_s Madness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I have used a booster plug , a good improvement on the stock snatchyness , I have since installed a power commander 5 with an autotune , the difference is like chalk and cheese . With a power commander u can do top gear roll ons that keep a stock 1200 honest , well actually more than honest . The overall increase in rideability is amazing , not to mention the extra power and torque with only a small sacrifice on economy .
PS I have a booster plug for sale
Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #94
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,079
do any of these, booster plug or power controller, affect the warranty on the bike?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #95
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA View Post
do any of these, booster plug or power controller, affect the warranty on the bike?
How could it. Takes less than 10 min to uninstall.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #96
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
Installed G2 throttle tamer cam $79- which opens the throttle at a slower rate for the first half of the throttles travel. Super inprovement in first gear especially while off road and standing. No more bucking bronco.
(Thanks for the tip Dockingpilot -Now go and buy one yourself- it works!) not on website but i called and had it in hand in 2 days.
http://www.g2ergo.com/

You lose your RIGHT heated grip but I was able to cut open a stock throttle tube and peel off the adhesive heated grip mylar film and stick it on the G2 aluminum throttle tube and wire it externally over the throttle cam housing.Plug and play- No cut wires. You then need a replacement grip which I used BMW part #32721458396 which is $12 bux

sorry camera is broken.
Is this product compatable with hand guards?
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #97
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7 View Post
Is this product compatable with hand guards?
Yes it is. I've got one on my bike, see HERE
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #98
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,424
Question

How does the power COMMANDER work? How does it interface with the bike?? Does it modify ECU inputs or does it change the programming in the ECU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo_s Madness View Post
I have used a booster plug , a good improvement on the stock snatchyness , I have since installed a power commander 5 with an autotune , the difference is like chalk and cheese . With a power commander u can do top gear roll ons that keep a stock 1200 honest , well actually more than honest . The overall increase in rideability is amazing , not to mention the extra power and torque with only a small sacrifice on economy .
PS I have a booster plug for sale
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #99
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,063
http://www.powercommander.com/eng_default.aspx
Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #100
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
It looks to me, it is an add on. http://www.fuelmotousa.com/faq.htm. Capable of creating your own dialing in of how much gas to add and when over the stock setting, or down load a map where those calcs have been done for you.

In addition you can add a Power commander along with a wide band oxygen sensor:
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc..._autotune.aspx
I suspect the Wide band sensor is needed due to the inability of the stock sensor to read exhaust out put below a certain level. If true it is no longer needed and if left in place probably will foul anyway. This is supposed to change mappings automatically on the fly.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 07:28 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #101
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
How does the power COMMANDER work? How does it interface with the bike?? Does it modify ECU inputs or does it change the programming in the ECU?
I run a power commander in my Honda trx700xx quad. The unit gets spliced into the oem harness, and operates as a piggy back off of the oem computer. The unit requires a software download and connect via a laptop to change the fuel values throughout the entire rpm range. Once a proper fuel map is loaded into the PC, it would not need any further tuning unless a change is made to the motor or the exhaust. The unit basically allows for unlimted fuel map tuning.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #102
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,424
Laugh

For the BMW.... I dont know of anyone who can tune a ECM on a BMW. The Power Commander is only changing "sensor values inputs". In-line with the ECM. Just like my Power Controller i am assuming.

the web site has no details at all!

One can :
modify the air temperature sensor (my Power Controller, Booster plug, or Accelerator plug) to the ECU.
modify the throttle position sensor input to the ECU
modify the O2 sensor input to the ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post

Just dont cut the heated grips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The install on the Power Controller (or booster plug - plugs in the same)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Step one.....

Step 2.....

Step 3....

Step 4 ....

Use sticky to stick down a base and tyrap the sensor to the "stick base"

this is where i have my switch....

operations: the "red paint" on the switch is for -10 offset (above 85 deg F) away from the red paint or blue is for -20 deg c) when temperature is below 85 deg F.)

any question PLEASE send me a PM!!!!!! I check a few times a day!!!

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 05:46 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #103
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Here are the installation instructions. http://www.powercommander.com/downlo.../eng12-009.pdf. I still don't understand how it works, though it appears it takes the place of the ECU. Obviously you remove the stock connections to the injectors and TPS. I do not understand what they mean when they speak of reinstalling in-line with the sensors. Replace or piggy back? If a replacement it should light up your fault meter.

It appears to me that it replaces all sensor imput with a preprogrammed map, doing away with the oxygen sensor in the process.

They do sell another componant called auto tune that uses a wide band oxygen sensor that automatically changes mapping on the fly. I changed my previous post to a reference for that device.

If it is a replacement device it can't be as sophisticated as the stock ECU, using maps instead of sensors that select mapping based on the environment.

Maybe some one who has installed one can speak up on how they work.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 08:39 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #104
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I still don't understand how it works, though it appears it takes the place of the ECU.
No, it can be looked at as more or less just a sophisticated, tunable version of the various booster plugs out there.

It goes in line with the TPS to monitor throttle position, and 'replaces' the O2 sensor so it can provide its own inputs to the BMW ECU during closed loop (basically 'steady state') running. It also modifies injector outputs (dwell/firing duration) from the ECU to provide more or less fuel than the ECU is attempting to send for a particular situation. You tune it by telling it how much more or less fuel you want compared to the fuel map in the ECU at particular throttle positions and RPMs. I'm not sure exactly how many cells each map has, but the ones I've seen have tuning points every 250rpms and at 10 points on the throttle position. Basically, you say "at 2500 RPMs and 40% throttle, I need 8% more fuel than BMW wants to give me". Then do that a hundred times or so for other RPMs and throttle positions.

The trick part with the PCV (over the PCIII) is that you can tune each cylinder separately (which probably isn't that useful for our p-twins, but certainly is for I4s or v-twins where some cylinders run hotter than others) plus you can create maps for each of the gears....not to mention you can load multiple maps and switch them on the fly. Also, the autotune feature is kind of snazzy (for another $250...), but I don't know how it works in real life. In theory, you just plug it in and it tunes itself based on a particular A/F ratio.

Is it technically 'better' than the fixed units out there, like the booster, accelerator, and HTCA models? No question, and none of the proprietors of those products would argue. Is it better bang for the buck? At four times the cost of a HTCA unit, probably not. Not enough for me, at least. Its one of those 95% vs. 100% things, where you have to spend all the money to get that last 5%. Now, if it also had timing adjustment, and still cost $400, that might be a different story...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #105
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

It also modifies injector outputs (dwell/firing duration) from the ECU to provide more or less fuel than the ECU is attempting to send for a particular situation.

That makes sense, said the guy who who owns his first FI bike. From the photos and verbage, I could not see how the plugs from the Power Commander could be connected to stock injecter modules inline, but I guess I just had to be there.

Still seems like there might be some situations where the sensors cause the ECU to dial up a leaner mixture, altitude for instance, where the Power Commander adds more fuel anyway because it is following a map that does not account for that. I guess they all do that.

Maybe that is what Auto Tune is all about.