Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #121
jessehere OP
Ridin'

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlynerd View Post
Just wanted to say thanks Jessehere...I bought a 'booster plug' last year and it helped but hesitated to put my new bike under the knife. Put the G2 throttle tube in as you suggested a month or so ago and really like it. Concerned about loosing grip heat I did put some high-temp fiberglass tape between the aluminum tube and the heater element for a bit of insulation but I think finding a thin, smooth grip is also important if you want to keep the factory heat output.

Ride safe!
Your welcome- to the asylum. Yes the G2 is a keeper!
jessehere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #122
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
Your welcome- to the asylum. Yes the G2 is a keeper!
Is there an aftermarket heated grip (for the right side) that I could just add to the G2 that would be compatible with the existing circuitry and with the existing left hand factory heated grip? Interested in the G2 but don't want to lose the heated grip on the right and I think I'd like to keep the factory heated grip intact so if I keep the option of returning the bike to "stock" condition.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #123
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
You do not need to lose the factory heated grip. Using a sharp knife, slit the stock grip without going all the way through. You can then tear it apart at that point.

The heating element is held in place with small perforations that fit over raised projections and can be peeled off.

The G-2 tube is a generic aluminum tube with an eccentric cable cable spool. Stock has a nifty slot that accommodates the wiring slack as the spool rotates. The G2 does not, excess wiring can be hidden in the housing if you pay attention to which way it rotates.

I spray hair sprayed the throttle tube and reapplied the element. I did the same with a K bike grip and slid that over the element.

Aluminum does soak up heat, so in hindsight, a layer of tape over it first may help, but I cannot tell the difference.

The F8 grips, only come as a set and expensive for my taste. The K bike grips can be bought individually for about $11. They are also a little thicker if you are sensitive to vibrations.

Aftermarket should work, but the wiring plug is probably BMW specific.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #124
Whirlynerd
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Another option for JGoody

In response to JGoody--I had a set of these on my SV650 and they worked really well. Solid state controller that's smart enough to turn off when it senses battery only voltage (bike not running) so you don't have to find an ignition circuit. (I would anyway, though) You might have trouble finding a spot for said controller, the F800 doesn't seem to have as many nooks for that sort of thing. ALOT warmer than the factory grips so pretty much guaranteed you can't just splice it in to the factory wiring. I've thought pretty seriously about ditching the factory grips myself, they're not as warm as my R1150R grips much less the 3rd party grips.

Whirlynerd screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 06:37 PM
Whirlynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #125
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Thanx for the info on both fitting the factory heating element and the aftermarket grips!
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #126
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
+1 for the G2

Installed the G2 on Thursday night (huge props to YetiGS for the pictorial and the beginning of this thread, it was a major help ) and was able to take it out for a proper test ride this weekend.

I could not be happier with the results!! A booster plug was one of the first mods I did for the GS, and while I was pleased it still never felt like how i thought it should. It was still very "snatchy" or "lurchy" in the slow technical stuff. The product description made sense and with the exception of the scotts steering stabilizer it's been the best upgrade hands down. (Side note: I recently switched to the off road version of the stabilizer from the on-raod version; that too has made a world of difference as far as fatigue and control). It got down to around 40 degrees so i was able to give the heated grips a little function test and there was a little less noticeable heat from the right grip but hardly enough to complain for the added benefit from the G2. In fact, probably run the G2 with handguards and no heated grips if those were my only options.

So specifically what I like: I no longer need to use the clutch so often to ensure smooth power deliver (for both traction and comfort) at low speeds. It makes such a difference to be able to be on the throttle and able to provide minute throttle inputs whereas before it felt like almost an on/off switch. Best bang for the buck mod I've made, a no-brainer for $80 if you ask me.
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #127
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
I just installed the G2 following Yeti's guide. Big thanks to you dude! Glad I wasn't the first to attempt this. Managed to save the heaters. A couple of minor changes, I put heat shrink over the throttle tube to minimize the heat sink effect prior to heater installation. I also carefully removed the offset slider from the wires, cut at that location, slipped small diameter heat shrink over the wires to the grip and soldered and shrinked everything up. (should have taken pics).
Very pleased with the results. A slight loss in grip heat but well worth it.
Thanks, Mach Z
Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #128
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Question

What s the benifit of the G2 versus Power Controller, Booster plug , or the Accererator . Cutting grips ? heated grip issues? I say that is not necessary to go through the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Z View Post
I just installed the G2 following Yeti's guide. Big thanks to you dude! Glad I wasn't the first to attempt this. Managed to save the heaters. A couple of minor changes, I put heat shrink over the throttle tube to minimize the heat sink effect prior to heater installation. I also carefully removed the offset slider from the wires, cut at that location, slipped small diameter heat shrink over the wires to the grip and soldered and shrinked everything up. (should have taken pics).
Very pleased with the results. A slight loss in grip heat but well worth it.
Thanks, Mach Z
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #129
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Ahh the beauty of the internet is a person can research to the n'th degree fixes to suite their own particular situation. I already have the Booster Plug which helped a bit. Budget restraints limit some of us. The G2 makes sense on so many levels plus the new grips are way more comfy!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #130
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Just ordered both the accelerator module and throttle tamer w/new grips.... Everyone seems to rave about it, so I thought I would give it a shot. Nothing like riding down a road with a drop on one side to have some throttle jerkiness almost send you off the edge.

G2 is having a holiday special, 20% off! So, if your thinking about this mod, jump on it now!
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #131
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
I have both and it makes all the difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #132
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
This will fix it...

I didn't do the throttle cam thing. I put this on and it completely fixed the jerky, snatchy throttle. One thing it might fix also which the cam throttle tube thing might not is the deceleration surging you get in the stock config. Easy to install, and totally worked.

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boos...00gs-208p.html
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #133
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

I too started with the booster plug. While the difference in snatchiness is mildly noticeable, it was not enough of a fix for me. There is also noticeable loss in fuel economy. The combination of the two seemed to bring it all to a livable level.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #134
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
snatch trottle

supposely they fixed this on the new models so all u have to due is go into dealership an get the cpu updated.................according to my service techs at my dealer.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #135
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Z View Post
I too started with the booster plug. While the difference in snatchiness is mildly noticeable, it was not enough of a fix for me. There is also noticeable loss in fuel economy. The combination of the two seemed to bring it all to a livable level.

I have the High Tech Coon Ass Throttle Controller of whatever he calls it. It had 2 settings and works like magic. Between that and the fatter grip mod that I came up with using a set of Renthal grips my bike has no snatchyness.