Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #31
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio
I am finally getting the report finished. It sucks how life gets in the way of exploring.

-Terry
i know how that goes.....
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #32
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Oddometer: 548
Day 11

We were off the ferry by 5:15. We had no plans for where we were going to stay for the night and Port Angeles wasn't it. Heading south for an hour or so had us looking for a place to stay. We saw a sign for a cabin resort and decided to check it out. It was getting late and we were all cold and hungry.

Cabins on Lake Crescent......and a small restaurant too.....sold!

As it turned out it was fathers day......what a great place to be with my family.

Jack was stoked to have his own loft.

Our room after our panniers explode their contents once again....

The next morning as we headed south we stopped in Forks Washington. I have not read the books but my wife has. We stopped for a few photo ops and stickers.

From there it was south to Astoria Oregon. It was too cold to stop for pics that day. We made an uneventfull ride south enjoying the view.

Right before we crossed the bridge from Washington to Oregon....

And finally to our destination in Astoria. More wifi, laundry, and a real bed to sleep in.....oh yeah, a pool for the big guy and some kids to play with...perfect.

More later.....enjoy.
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #33
vidd
how was your lamb?

Oddometer: 630
glad to see this resume, thanks!
vidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #34
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,005
great report!

I love how you guys are traveling - well done. Safe, but still with plenty of adventure.

I hope to get my son on the back within 3-4 years. He's only 4 now. Where did you get Jack's riding gear?
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #35
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

He is using a BMW Stoke suit for the jacket and pants and mx boots. An adult medium helmet fits him well. The riding belt is
made by child riding belt. He started riding his own Honda 50 just before he turned 5 and was riding with me around town and to school about the same time.

-Terry
Old 10-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #36
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Great to see you up and about on the RR .
I have two boys 9 and 10 at the moment and they take turns rifing with me. MC closeouts or new enough frequently has very small gear for sale and black tourmaster womens (XS) gear is indistinguishable from the male except it's two sizes smaller. Keeping them in boots is another story.
Love the Rev Pack Mamoo. I keep wanting to get one but haven't had the call for it just yet. I took the Rev Pack excursioin pack on my ALaska trip. Very quality product.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #37
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
How wonderful!

I so wish I had had parents who were hip to such alternative views on life, travel and experience. You are imparting a gift that will far eclipse what the classroom and the dubious "safety" of the suburbs would foster.

Kudos to you all, and godspeed.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #38
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,782
Adventure Trio, great RR. I love the fact that y'all have made it a family affair.

Lookin' forward to reading the end.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #39
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Day 12

Up early to finish up a few things.....

Breakfast of champions

We headed south east towards Portland and eventually made our way to BMW Tigard for some new gloves for Jack, a quart of oil for me, and some free sodas.

After the not so quick detour we headed for Mt. Hood for a few nights of camping. We pulled in to Government Camp to check out the camping possibilities and ended up here.

When we parked the bikes and walked down to the water we realized that we had camped here once before.......8 years prior, to the day, we were on an RV trip with Sandy being 7 months pregnant with Jack. I couldn't help but smile and it made our stay there that much more meaningful.

We met another family that way nice enough to let us use their inflatable boat for a few hours. I enjoyed Jack's enthusiasm to paddle us around.

Sandy used the time to catch up on the Adventure Trio site......... http://adventuretrio.com

And by day 12 he was finally setting up a tent on his own......without arguing.

What an awsome place to stay. I'm getting used to hot dogs for breakfast......

The next day we were off to Bend
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #40
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Day 12 to 15

By this time in the trip we are realizing that we only have a few days left of care free travel. We departed Lake Trillium near Mt. Hood to make our way south the Bend Oregon for the night. I discovered that we did not take any photos of Bend as it was just an overnighter on our way to McCloud California where we have a trailer parked on a lot we own. On our way out we rode up to the lodge at Mt. Hood where there were skiers getting ready to head out. There was a team of Olympic atheletes from a disable team that were gathering their gear. Anyone who says I can't because it's too hard or because.... should speak with the one legged skier we chatted with or the guy in the wheel chair talking about his sport. I felt funny about asking for a photo of either of these guys but they were inspiring to talk to.

Welcome back to California....

Andy finally back to our second home in for forest

We all slept in and finally had to roust the big guy after 9am. We were trying to beat the heat as temps were predicted at over 100 degrees for the day. We made our way to the main breakfast spot in downtown McCloud for a proper meal and send off.

We departed McCloud for the 200+ mile ride home. We agreed to stop every 70 miles or so to cool off and keep everyone happy. (mainly my passenger who has been such a great sport in all of this) This gave is 3 or 4 stops on the way home to break up the slab time that we avoided on our way north.

I called a friend of ours from the neighborhood and asked if she could take some photos of our arrival home. About an hour from home we all started talking in the autocom about weather or not to just keep going. The thought of returning to suburbia and the grind didn't sit well with my wife and I. We made a lap through town on our way home to reintroduce ourselves to civilization.

We were soon home......

Finally home......with mixed feelings about it, but home nonetheless......

Someone was happy to see his house though......

I could hear him saying "I feel like a baked potato!" The quick removal of gear.

The bee that made the ride all the way from Vancouver.

2,465 miles and 15 days on the road

And now to celebrate a bit.....

Jack and a friend

Quenching thirst

And there you have it. Only took me 4 1/2 months beyond our return to finish this.

I won't lie here......it took us the better part of 2 weeks or more to get used to being home. The range of emotions about being on the road and away from the routine way of life made a huge impression on us all. Our son said he is would like to be home schooled some day so an extended trip is on our radar.

Enjoy,

-Terry
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #41
pheepster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Really enjoyed this. Thanks.

But you know, it seems like you kept buying half empty bottle of Jack.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #42
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Great RR..........Tks

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #43
robincx
Wherever u go, there u r

Oddometer: 109
Perfect, and with the family even better. Congratulations.
robincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #44
1JIMBO1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks for the report. Great to see a family affair.

-Jim
1JIMBO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #45
Burrito Bandito
burrito eater

Oddometer: 215
what a great ride, I'm very jealous!
Burrito Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote