Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #31
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Sez it all. That's why you need that extra gallon. 64 miles in and 75 miles out is safe enough. But what if you mis a turn? Mighty lonely out there...
The route I did from Mesquite to Toroweap then up to Fredonia was over 170 miles between gas stations. The 990 doesn't get good gas mileage when off road. I would have run out of fuel 20 miles short of Fredonia without the extra gallon. Yes I was worried about making a navigation error, but the routes were well marked.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #32
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Toroweap Overlook

This is as close as I'm gonna get to hanging over the edge.

The Colorado River 3000 feet below.

There was a large area to walk around at the overlook for different views.

I was really hoping the sun would peek out from behind the clouds for some good sunset lighting, but I was not in luck. I'll guess another trip will be required for better photos.

A common cause of death for males at the Grand Canyon is "urinating from high places".

I walk back to camp and fire up the Jetboil for a Mountain House dinner. While dinner re-constitutes, I set up camp.

There are only 9 campsites at Toroweap. I was there on a Saturday Night and there were 2 empty campsites.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #33
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Tuweep to Fredonia

I crawl out from under my rock...

Eat breakfast, and pack up.

I ride down to the overlook for some full sun photos.

Then head north back across the rocks...

...the bull-dust...

...and this time I remembered to take the detour.

After leaving the park I took off on another smooth, high-speed, gravel highway towards Fredonia. I need fuel.

The seemingly featureless desert is not without it's beauty.

It looks like I'll be playing cat-and-mouse with the clouds again today.

Did I mention it's a loooooooooooooooooooooong road?

I wouldn't want to cross this wash during a flash flood.

I gas up and head back into the wilderness.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #34
Still Running
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Wonderful pics. Thats far better than I saw at the South Rim.
Still Running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #35
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

West Kiabab Plateau

I headed southeast from Fredonia on the FR22, also known as the Ryan Road. Behind me are the Vermillion Cliffs.

The 22 is paved on the approach to the plateau.

As I gain elevation the desert gives way to forests.

And the pavement ends.

Great forest service roads on the west side of the Kaibab Plateau.

Did you know you can visit the Grand Canyon at some awesome view points without being in the National Park?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #36
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
My family and I visited the south (tourist) rim in March 2008. When my wife and I return we want to buy/hire a bike and do something similar to what you have done That is bloody awesome!

Thanks for showing us your part of the world!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #37
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thumb Crazy Jugs Point

I found a little mud to play in.

I knew I was getting close to Crazy Jugs Point. I guess I was expecting a parking lot, fences, signs,and guardrails. The road gets a little narrow. As I headed downhill I realized I was now on the walking path with nowhere to turn around. The next thing I knew I was at the edge with nowhere to go except over the crumbling edge.

The tiny cleared at the overlook was all sloping downhill, towards the edge. I rode my bike over to the edge then turned uphill. Now the hard part. With the Grand Canyon only a few feet behind you, let the brakes out and roll backwards. Easy Right?

Well, I did get it turned around. I decided, hey since I'm here already, let the bike pose for some shots.

I stuck a rock under the kickstand to keep it from tumbling over the edge.

The trail I rode down.

I made my lunch and decided to enjoy the beauty and solitude.

When a large group showed up and ruined everything. This photo kind of shows the sloping ground. I did ask the kids, "please don't push my bike over the edge".

I finished my lunch peacefullay after the loud family left.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #38
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
My family and I visited the south (tourist) rim in March 2008. When my wife and I return we want to buy/hire a bike and do something similar to what you have done That is bloody awesome!

Thanks for showing us your part of the world!
Thanks for the compliment jtb. The North Rim is much nicer than the South, and with some nice remote areas I almost don't want to give away the secrets. We wouldn't want Toroweap or Crazy Jugs to be as crowded.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #39
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

I rode out to Monument Point. There wasn't much of a view from the parking lot and it looked like an uphill 3/4 mile hike to the actual point. I kick myself now, but decided to just keep riding.

I wasn't sure the one with the horns would let me split between them and the calf.

I made it over to Parissawampitts Point and found another hike out to the point. I'd rather ride. I wanted to get over to the North Rim Lodge area then ride out to Point Sublime.

The only vehicle I saw out there.

I had to stop here to hide the camera from the rain and get the rain suit on. My luck with the weather was running out. I rode through a heavy downpour and light hail for about 30 minutes. The roads were still in good condition.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #40
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

North Rim

I gassed up at the North Rim. BTW, the North Rim and DeMotte have only 87 octane. The closest premium fuel is in Jacob Lake.

I went to the Lodge parking lot and walked out to the point. It was wet, but no longer raining. I looked like a dork walking around in my one-piece rain suit over all the other gear.

The storm is not clearing out. It seems to be hanging over Point Sublime. I see it's clearer to the east. I decide to ride out to Cape Royal today and return tomorrow for the assault on Point Sublime Road. (Point Sublime is down a rough 19 mile dirt road in the park.)

I stop at Imperial Point.

Every motorcyclist should visit Cape Royal. The twisty asphalt road out there is really fun and there is little traffic.

I cook dinner in the parking lot.

I carry the dinner pouch with me and hike out to the view points while the Beef Stew reconstitutes. Yummy.

Angel's Window

Cliffrose
Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #41
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Been There Done That

Here's a ride report from the 1st of May to about the 7th.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...utah+adventure

The roads you took were the same ones I took accept I could not go to the North Rim of the park as it did not open until May 15th. Plus after expieriencing the silt bed the hard way, I was not quiet up to it. I think I may have started the bypass on the silt bed at that location and it looks like a bunch of people must have taken the same route. It was alot easier going out. I was nervous about that all the way out to it until I saw the better way around.
By the way. The Bar 10 ranch that goes directly south of the school house does have gas available. Expensive but they do have it.
It looks like they made more progress of the bypass bridge at Hoover Dam compared to the pics I took on the 2nd of May.

Great report. I wish I could take better pics. Color on mine suck.

Mil T
Mil T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #42
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Cape Royal

I took too many photos.

About 8 miles away you can barely see the tower at Desert View on the South Rim.

Humphrey's Peak some 70 miles away.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #43
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Time to find a place to sleep.

I mount up and head out of the park.

On Cape Royal Road.

Once out of the park I head out to Saddle Mountain Trailhead 14 miles down this road as darkness falls.

Not many miles today, but a long day nonetheless. 8800'? Gonna be cold tonight.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #44
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Cry Assault on Point Sublime!

My lonely campsite. If you don't make reservations weeks, if not months, in advance you won't be camping inside the park. But I prefer free camping out here alone anyway. No loud neighbors. No generators. No rules. And literally tons of firewood, although I didn't bother with a fire last night.

And look at the view! This is actually pretty close to the park border and not far from Imperial Point.

These roads made riding pretty interesting last night. That stuff was like riding on marbles. Only the ruts gave me any lateral traction. This crap continued for about 8 of the 14 miles.

Back on the 67 I turn left and head back for the park. What a beautiful day for an assault on Point Sublime Road!

This was the road I was really looking forward to...

...but alas, it was not to be.

The gas station attendant said it was closed for deadfalls that had not been cleaned up yet. I don't know when it will reopen, but it's all the excuse I need to plan another trip up this way. Oh well. Let's go ride Burma Road (aka East Side Game Trail).
Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #45
bouncer
retired

Oddometer: 199
awesome pics !

we are actually going there tomorrow ahem in a couple of hours in the morning - unfortunately not by bike but with the Kommandofahrzeug, starting in Phoenix / Scottsdale our base camp for a couple of days :

dieseltowingresource.com/lupoblog (cross country in an old 6.5 Diesel Suburban called Kommandofahrzeug)

probably not aloowed to post NON 2 wheeled ADVentures but since we are going to the exact same locations I thought I could post a quick remark

and boy don't I wish 43 times a day i could do it all on a GSA ....

keep an eye out we may run across each other....
I always look for fellow ADV inmates.
bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote