Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #46
doubleu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Every motorcyclist should visit Cape Royal. The twisty asphalt road out there is really fun and there is little traffic.
(I'm sitting here at work reading your report, daydreaming of my trip next week) I'll be in the North Rim area (albeit on a cruiser) on Tuesday of next week. Thanks for the tip, I hope to make it over to Cape Royal while there
doubleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #47
preacher dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
enjoyin the report,all the times i've been on these roads it still is excitin to see them or think of travelin them again...i camp at toroweap, not at the campground but near the edge,better not sleep walk....thanks dave....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #48
Ledge End Hairy
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 288
Trade my bike...

It's this kind of report that makes me want to trade my FZ1 (which I love!) for a DS. Perhaps once this economy improves and money flows a little better...

Awesome report Dave! Thanks!

T
"We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us. Even while the earth sleeps we travel." - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
Ledge End Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #49
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Yay Dave!

Great pics man, as usual!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #50
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Dear Dave!!!!

Very nice Pics, and a great RR. . . . . Please keep it coming. My riding partner and I made it to the GC several years back but only to the South Rim from Laughlin NV and back in a day. Needless to say we didn't spend much time there. Looks like we'll need a return trip!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx for that.

Randy
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #51
ppfeifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Nice RR

Dave6253,

Enjoyed the pictures and seeing what the country is like up there. I would like to ride from Tucson to the Canyon and your report has motivated me to do that. I've got the route laid out now I just have to develop my action plans ;)

Cheers,

ppfeifer
Tucson
ppfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #52
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
Wicked Burma Road

The Burma Road (aka East Side Game Trail) starts out beautifully.

Then you drop down a set of switchbacks off the Plateau. There are too many trees to see much of the road at one time. This section of the road is barely visible on Google Maps.

This sign didn't lie.

I was getting tired when I got to a four way intersection. I thought the Burma Trail went straight ahead, but the GPS showed a maze of brown lines in that direction. The frustrating thing about navigating with GPS is there is no difference in the appearance of major forest service roads and trails that don't really exist. When you zoom out to get a better lay of the land all of the trails disappear. Anyway I was tired and saw the paved road was about 5 miles away if I turned left. Thinking it was a more direct route to the 89A I decided to try it out.

This sign is a LIAR! What it should have said is, "You know the plateau you came down slowly on switchbacks? Well, you are about to go STRAIGHT back up that hill. Oh, and it begins around the next corner". I'm not sure what they were thinking with the sign. It was 5 1/2 miles to the highway?

I tried to get a photo of the steep climb, but it's hard to capture in a photo. It was not difficult. There was plenty of traction and no big rocks, but I think it climbs 3000 feet in 1.5 miles.

Back on top of the plateau the road was really easy.

I made it to the highway and stopped to air up.

Someone else had to stop there too. The highway patrol officer was not to happy with whatever he caught this woman doing. He had his clipboard out and was writing a ticket when his radio chattered and he told her he had to go to an accident. He left a lucky motorist in tears.

After I got underway I realized I was on the 67 still. My "shortcut" had taken me back to the North Rim Road instead of the 89A I thought. I guess I should have paid more attention. I had planned to ride all of the Burma Road. No biggie.

I get underway and realize all the cops must be busy with the wreck, RIGHT? Good there's a fun section of curves ahead. About 5 minutes later I check my mirror. WTF! There's another highway patrol vehicle directly behind me. Oh Crap.................
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #53
nevada72
Clatto Verata Nicto

Oddometer: 508

Inspirational
Old 06-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #54
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,933
Super Mega Awesome!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #55
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

I was looking at the map of my route today and realized the campsite at the Saddle Mountain Trailhead was only 1.8 miles from Point Imperial.
In fact, this is a photo taken at Point Imperial of Saddle Mountain, which means I camped on the ridge to the left side of the photo. However; it's 36 miles by road! The photos from the campsite are poor because of the sun shining directly at the camera.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #56
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

GPX Files Sent

I emailed the gpx files to everyone that asked. It's gonna get crowded out there. Seven of you have requested them so far.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #57
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Aww! You got me, a cliffhanger! Cops, tryin' to snatch my crops!

Damn, it looks like you are getting great experience on all kinds of dirt, I'm jealous! My summer training regime is about to begin... New knobbies arriving any day now.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #58
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Great Report and fantastic pics, I've been on all those roads. You're error on the eastside of the plateau was that you went down the 213 to the 220 (eastside game trail) and then back up the onto the plateau at the 284 (if you had continued north on the 220 you would have come out on 89A just above the switchbacks on the eastside). Also, after seeing your bike tracks out to crazy jug you should have been happy that the family didn't attempt to drive down there with the mini-van. Unfortunately someone has pulled the no motorized vehicle sign from the trail at Crazy Jug and there are more and more folks pulling down to the overlook and ruining folks quiet time there....

thanks for the report,

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #59
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

After the cop followed me for a while I spot the first highway patrol officer I saw. He's standing around 10 or so heavy cruiser bikes at a pulloff. He's got the clipboard out and is apparently investigating the accident. No one appears hurt. I guess the curves were too much for them and someone scratched some chrome. I wonder if the cops would take a report for my scratched Jesses on Elbow Canyon? The second cop turned off to backup the first and I continued with the fun.

Weeeeee!

What happened to the curves?

I stopped in Marble Canyon for gas...

...and a healthy lunch. Mmmmmm.... Moon Pie!

A single cloud was determined to get me wet.

I saw about 7-8 horses ahead silhouetted on a ridgeline. I thought of stopping for a photo when I realized they were moving fast and would be out of sight by time I could get stopped. I then saw one of the horses had a rider. As the road curved I realized the horses were heading towards the road. I found a spot on the shoulder and jammed on the brakes. As the horses appeared I saw the single rider was an Indian boy about the same age as my kids. He cut two of the horses with the help of his dog, and I captured a few photos. He got a big grin and waved when he saw me taking photos(a shot I missed). That boy could ride! His horse was at a full run jumping over ravines. We waved to each other again as the KTM carried me full throttle down the highway.

The roads around the east side of the Canyon look alot like this.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #60
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher dan
enjoyin the report,all the times i've been on these roads it still is excitin to see them or think of travelin them again...i camp at toroweap, not at the campground but near the edge,better not sleep walk....thanks dave....
preacher dan,

The two campsites near the Toroweap Overlook have been closed and designated for day-use only. The campground further up the road is now the only place to legally camp there.

There are 9 single campsites that are first come. There is 1 group site, reservation required. If the 9 sites are all full I suggest asking someone to let you share their site. If not, it's a 6 mile ride out of the park before you can camp.