User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
pelvis_98 OP
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,979
Best Place to Retire (Thats not B.C.)

I've been out to BC, many, many times but its not for me.

I prefer out east and I dont care if it snows in the winter.

Seems the other thread is only suggestions for BC, but Canada is a big place. I'll admit the mountains are sure nice to look at, but every province has something going for it.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
I retired in N.B. The place has some good points, like everywhere else. There is no work here and most things cost more than they should. The province is bankrupt and the government is not prepared to stop spending on their sacred cows. You can get by on little money if your prepared to live little, lots of people do that. The last 2 years have been mega snow falls here. This year is the worst. It has been -20 here for two months, seems to me this is not normal. If you were to come here pick your location carefully. Some areas are a lot better than others.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 AM   #3
DianneB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I grew up in southwestern Ontario (as much as I ever grew up!) in the 1950s & 1960s and the climate there wasn't bad but the whole area is now so densely populated that the cost of living has gone WAY up.

I have family on Newfoundland and it is a beautiful place but the off-shore oil has driven property values through the roof!

I lived in Ottawa for a time and it is TOO DAMNED COLD! It might not be too cold according to the thermometer but the humidity seems to always be high and the wind is just BITTER.

Montreal was a nice city, but not if you don't speak French.

Edmonton is quite cosmopolitan but too damned cold in the winter.

I have been in Manitoba since 1977 and the summers are nice but the winters are long and FRIGGIN COLD!!!!! The prairie dogs have the right idea here - go underground and sleep all winter!

If I had money, I'd spend summers here in Manitoba and winters somewhere in northern Texas or Arizona, but I don't so I am stuck with 6 months of -20C

I wish, when they were dividing up North America, they had taken a slice north-to-south for Canada instead of east/west! LOL!
DianneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
P.E.I.

- reasonable real estate (comparatively speaking)
- health care
- beautiful
- winter is no worse than the rest of anything else down east

Retirement? Does that mean zero work or does it mean doing what you want to do to earn a few bucks and not caring how much or how little of those bucks you make as long as you enjoy what you're doing to keep the brain / body awake?
- part time PEI bike / boat / nature tours
- crafts / furniture / other making from local natural (or reclaimed) resources
- small lodge/ B&B, etc
- medicinal weed grow-op? :)
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #5
pelvis_98 OP
Havin A Time

Will have been working for the same company for 35 years with a good pension. Have been pretty good with my money. So working for me will be to keep busy make little extra income.

I hadn't considered the medicinal weed grow-op, that could really boost up my cash flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
P.E.I.

- reasonable real estate (comparatively speaking)
- health care
- beautiful
- winter is no worse than the rest of anything else down east

Retirement? Does that mean zero work or does it mean doing what you want to do to earn a few bucks and not caring how much or how little of those bucks you make as long as you enjoy what you're doing to keep the brain / body awake?
- part time PEI bike / boat / nature tours
- crafts / furniture / other making from local natural (or reclaimed) resources
- small lodge/ B&B, etc
- medicinal weed grow-op? :)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,770
Military fella from the Rock, lived and still have a house in the Halifax area, lived in BC and now in Ont.

We like NS but taxes and the gvnt will get you. Short mild winters but a cool spring/summer lasts a while. I had planned to go back there but the longer I'm away the less desire to return.

BC and I never got along. Not sure why exactly, but party due to it's people. Loved the yr around camping, no bugs, and lots of fishing. Would never back to live, even though I could probably get posted there this summer if I wish.

Ont has a lot going on and we like it here more than we expected. Winters are cold, but the warm spring comes quick. I think Ont has the cheapest cost of living when all things are factored in.
I can get a pension now and pack it in, but I'm 45 and daughter is 13, son is 8. I'll let the kids and wife decide where we'll go, and play a role in how long more I'll stay in the Military.

Right now looks like Carbonear Nfld will be the spot. 6k people with Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Hospital. 45 minutes to St. John's. and when i'm 55 i'll escape the winters with a house in Fla.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Newfoundland is awful expensive cost of living and really cold weather. Nova Scotia some how is more bankrupt than New Brunswick if that is possible. I think the trouble is a succession of crooked governments/officials. The weather is a bit warmer around Halifax and the south shore of N.S., less snow more rain. N.S has close proximity to the ocean which is good and bad. All these places N.S., PEI, and N.B. your vehicle will rust like crazy, a 10 YO vehicle is scrap. Any of these three places houses are a lot cheaper than average in Canada big cities. You can hire a carpenter or a mechanic, or bodyman for lot less than the going rate elsewhere. And the person is going to be highly skilled not some green apprentice. New Brunswick has major issues with English/French. It is getting worse all the time, been that way for years and years. Certain areas are much worse in this regard. There is a certain quality of live back this way, relaxed and easy going people. The population here is aging fast, average age is much older than other parts of Canada. If Quebec were to separate it would be very bad news for these small provinces. No one knows how this would turn out but it is a little scary. In actual fact N.B., N.S. and PEI should join as one province, lot less expensive administration but it will never happen as the government officials would have to vote themselves out of a job and that isn't going to happen.

I'm not trying to be negative here. Just trying to state facts as I see them about this area. I have no doubt that some will disagree with some of what I say here but it is a free country.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
ZZR_Ron
Looking up

Oddometer: 8,139
I'm stilling loving it next to the big lake, in Thunder Bay! Reasonable cost of living, 60,000 km of dirt roads, unlimited fishing...all within 2 km of my house.

Scenery has a bit of everything, rolling hills, mounts, lake views.

I have lived in a lot of Canada, but will stay here.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
pelvis_98 OP
Havin A Time

I think its the people for me too.

That is the big difference between east and west as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Military fella from the Rock, lived and still have a house in the Halifax area, lived in BC and now in Ont.

We like NS but taxes and the gvnt will get you. Short mild winters but a cool spring/summer lasts a while. I had planned to go back there but the longer I'm away the less desire to return.

BC and I never got along. Not sure why exactly, but party due to it's people. Loved the yr around camping, no bugs, and lots of fishing. Would never back to live, even though I could probably get posted there this summer if I wish.

Ont has a lot going on and we like it here more than we expected. Winters are cold, but the warm spring comes quick. I think Ont has the cheapest cost of living when all things are factored in.
I can get a pension now and pack it in, but I'm 45 and daughter is 13, son is 8. I'll let the kids and wife decide where we'll go, and play a role in how long more I'll stay in the Military.

Right now looks like Carbonear Nfld will be the spot. 6k people with Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Hospital. 45 minutes to St. John's. and when i'm 55 i'll escape the winters with a house in Fla.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
pelvis_98 OP
Havin A Time

I do like northern Ontario too.

Love the wilderness, trees, lakes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
I'm stilling loving it next to the big lake, in Thunder Bay! Reasonable cost of living, 60,000 km of dirt roads, unlimited fishing...all within 2 km of my house.

Scenery has a bit of everything, rolling hills, mounts, lake views.

I have lived in a lot of Canada, but will stay here.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
MiltonHog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I am watching this thread with great interest. I have been living in Burlington Ontario almost 20 years. Retired almost 4 years and wanting a change. I will start my search for a final move this spring.

I am very discouraged with the mess this province has become. We are still working at hobby jobs more to keep us busy . The last couple of winters in Ontario have me looking for a milder winter .

Last year we were in Nelson BC and thought it was a pretty cool place. I am afraid the winter season would be a deal breaker for my wife and I. If any of the BC folks could chime in I would appreciate the info.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
ZZR_Ron
Looking up

Oddometer: 8,139
I have to admit, we usually have at least reasonable winters, but not the last two!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Oil boom has driven housing costs up but mostly on the Avalon. Price of living is higher if you live like a townie. Baymen here got it figured out. Catch your fish, cut your wood, hunt your moose/ rabbit /turr/seal, grow a garden. It all adds up to quality time and little money spent.
Temps are cooler and winters can be long. Only one storm this year and hammered constantly last year.
Leaving is expensive and a PITA but staying is grand.
Spent some time down south and out west. Each has its bright side and I consider them great places to visit but I would not want to live there again.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Newfoundland is awful expensive cost of living and really cold weather.
Gets colder in every place in Canada but south west BC. Most of Nfld rarely gets beyond the minus mid teens in the winter and most days are low minus single digits. Much colder weather in Hailfax but not as long, but the weather on the rock is cooler sooner and goes later.

There's only 3 weeks of real summer and why most Nflders can't swim.

Nfld will be a few cents/bucks more expensive in just about everything you buy, but in retirement your not buying a lot of stuff. Stay away from St. John's a little and real estate really drops off like any other city.

The laid back, no stress, easy living is what i'll be looking for. Nfld has that, like no other place.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonHog View Post
Last year we were in Nelson BC and thought it was a pretty cool place. I am afraid the winter season would be a deal breaker for my wife and I. If any of the BC folks could chime in I would appreciate the info.
There's a large thread of BC retirement places already going and pretty current.