User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
northern OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Yukon thieves steal round the world motorcycle

Bostjan Skrlj has travelled around the world on his motorcycle, only to have it stolen during a stay in Whitehorse.

https://soundcloud.com/cbcyukon/yuko...rld-motorcycle

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...halt-1.3073626
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,724
Passed thru 41 countries... black eye for Whitehorse.

Never been there, but I wouldn't think a bike like that should be too hard to find.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
helmethair
likes beer

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for the heads up

I'll be traveling thru Whitehorse next month on my way to the D2D in Dawson. I'll be there long enough to have lunch with a friend. I'll keep both eyes open looking for your GS and looking out for mine.
helmethair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
matty86suk
Buccaneer

Oddometer: 92
I've talked to a few world travellers and most will say North America is the most sketchy place to travel...
matty86suk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
hellyhans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
How the hell can a GS1200adv go unnoticed like that in that region?
Let me tell you how.
1: police don't give a shit.
2: 10$ that bike is located in a region where police (RCMP) have no access/ authority.
ex: Indian /first nations reserve.
hellyhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Anyone going to D2D in Dawson? A stolen GS could blend in. Or not...

Keep an eye out, eh.

Ride Hard or Stay Home
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
While traveling through Canada last summer, Whitehorse was the only location where I double locked my bike and parked it directly in front of my tent.

My traveling partner and I commented at the time on the types of people that certain parts of WH attracted. They didn't appear to be locals, more like dirtbags passing through.

Who knows who the real thieves are--professional bike thieves or scumbag transients--that'll be seen, hopefully. I'm just commenting on some of the folks I had the displeasure of camping next to while staying the evening.

I sure hope he has his bike returned ASAP and the responsible parties brought to justice.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,406
I've tried telling people this for awhile, thieves steal what they can sell, or sell parts of. When adv bikes were rare and sport bikes were plentiful we were bypassed and sport bikes targeted. There has been a huge shift in the amount of market share that adv bikes command. More of our bikes out there, more of them will be stolen.

YT has a huge population boom in the summer months. A massive transient population will lead to more theft, and other issues.

In other countries they have fashione cranes in the bed of pickups. All they do is roll up next to the bike, put a strap on it and hoist it into the bed of the truck. No messing with the ignition or the locks (unless it's locked to something).

I hope the bike is found quickly and in one piece. It truly would be like the loss of a good friend at that point
Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
sue.t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I don't like leaving my boring/average car alone in Whitehorse. Just being parked on the street while I'm at work it has been assaulted and damaged. Would never leave a unique & special bike in a driveway, especially in Porter Creek. There were numerous thefts in that area throughout the past year, including numerous car arsons. Whitehorse has some issues. Mostly bored youth, IMHO.

That's why we live in the bush 60 km from Whrs, with a GPS coordinate for an address. Prefer dealing with bears, elk, lynx, bison, hares, wolves, coyotes and fox. They're predictable and want nothing to do with machinery or technology.
sue.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 551
It is very disappointing as a Canadian, so see something like this happen, especially to a foreigner who has put so much energy in his world travels.

It is also disappointing to see a fellow Canadian in a post above to vent in a racist manner.

CanadianRocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,125
Sucks Shit when this happens . I Too had my bike stolen in surrey BC Canada. I hope the RCMP up there aren't like down here where they don't bother looking for it. Really Hope It turns up . AT least with this there is some News coverage which should lead to someone whom knows something speaking up. I remember a couple of years ago out east the same thing happening to someone from Japan and they found it within 2 weeks locked up at someone house.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:39 AM   #12
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,511
That sucks. I followed the link to the news story, which also provided a link to his blog. It hasn't been updated much, but has a nice writeup of his trip to Deadhorse in the winter. Hope he gets it back really quick so he can continue his journey.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,905
Please keep the generalizations as to the ethnicity of the thieves to yourself. Some inmates take offence to it and report it.

Let's see, this bike cannot be started without the chipped key. The ECU is looking for matching code from the EWS ring antenna around the keyhole. Once the thieves realize this, will they try to part it out? I doubt there's a market for BMW parts in Whitehorse.

If anyone on here is a Whitehorse local, maybe contact the CBC reporter in the above link and tell them a group of fellow riders are putting up a reward for tips leading to the location of the bike, it might encourage the thieves to abandon it and call in a tip to get the reward. I'll throw in a $100 towards the reward. (yes, I know it might encourage more thefts but we're trying to help a fellow traveler who's a long way from home.)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,406
GB I like your style, enough bitching about the problem, focus on the solution. I'm in for $100
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
GB I like your style, enough bitching about the problem, focus on the solution. I'm in for $100
Yup, lets get this guy going, I am in also.

CanadianRocky is online now   Reply With Quote