ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #5866
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
Would like to take a short ride and follow up with a coffee to pay our respects to Dr Cool (avid ADVer) and the other fallen riders. .

Maybe we can get together later this week or early next. Anyone and everyone welcome to join us.

The female teacher that lost her life this weekend was very likely at the rally some of us attended in Niverville recently.

With luck today's accident at Deacons Corner will not add another name to the list of fallen riders.

We are thinking of you too Mel. Just thankful you are alright.
DRCool has also been on my mind.
In fact I was going to ride to the funeral (It's on Thursday, 1 PM), but realized this morning that I don't have enough time, as I can't get away until tomorrow.

Up until the 18th, I'm in for a regional ride and gathering . After that, Lee and I will be thinking of him as we ride the Cabot Trail later this month. We'll also be stopping in to see WaterLilly and Les in Stony Creek on the way out.

Current concerns have convinced me to take the RT on this ride and do the Trans Lab in the fall with the KLR.
Cheers, Brian
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #5867
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
...and yet another...oil slick downtown brings down a rider.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...161909705.html
AutoPac will try to charge the rider for the accident as he/she failed to ride according to the conditions of the road.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #5868
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream
 
jimtoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: The Peg 2 seasons short summer & long winter
Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
AutoPac will try to charge the rider for the accident as he/she failed to ride according to the conditions of the road.
You sure have that right. In the mid nineties a friend went down as he got caught in a situation where a sewer backed up a grate and pushed sewer slime on the road just as he got to it washing his front wheel out from under him. They deemed it his fault even though a off duty police officer provided a witness report that it was not avoidable. He sued the city and autopac. The city paid and autopac still said he was at fault. Dropped the case against autopac due to legal costs. Time to rid this province of the socialist government and end the unfair monopoly.
__________________
1967 Honda S65 "Unrestored Driver"
1967 Honda S90 "Resto Project"
1968 Honda 305 Dream "Restored"
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #5869
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
You sure have that right. In the mid nineties a friend went down as he got caught in a situation where a sewer backed up a grate and pushed sewer slime on the road just as he got to it washing his front wheel out from under him. They deemed it his fault even though a off duty police officer provided a witness report that it was not avoidable. He sued the city and autopac. The city paid and autopac still said he was at fault. Dropped the case against autopac due to legal costs. Time to rid this province of the socialist government and end the unfair monopoly.

Well said Jim. I can't understand for the life of me why the top brass at MPI haven't been fired or at the very least tuned up. I'm not saying get rid of MPI, but open it up to the competition. I think I pay more to insure my daughters 50cc scooter than my buddy in Edmonton pays for his 1100cc naked GSX-R streetfighter. There is something so wrong with this... particularly considering life in any major city on the prairies is pretty similar. SGI is government insurance... yet way cheaper than Manitoba - what gives!?
__________________
Spending my daughter's inheritance one motorcycle at a time.
Bikes currently owned: '91 Honda Gold Wing with sidecar, '92 Kawi KLR650 with Enduro sidecar, and '94 KLR650.
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5870
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On
 
Mark-II's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Well said Jim. I can't understand for the life of me why the top brass at MPI haven't been fired or at the very least tuned up. I'm not saying get rid of MPI, but open it up to the competition. I think I pay more to insure my daughters 50cc scooter than my buddy in Edmonton pays for his 1100cc naked GSX-R streetfighter. There is something so wrong with this... particularly considering life in any major city on the prairies is pretty similar. SGI is government insurance... yet way cheaper than Manitoba - what gives!?

I was talking to Jim at Triumph/Indian Fargo and down there he has several bikes insured for well under a grand. NOT to the same level of coverage that we have, but that is his choice to make.

On a similar note, I'm unclear on the concept of why we still buy 3rd party liability coverage to the tune of millions of dollars when under No Fault autopac has its butchers list of what gets paid out for specific sorts of injury. I hadn't thought about this until the news item came out of the pitiful level of compensation awarded to the estate of the stylist who was killed earlier this year by that rogue Jeep.

I'm probably being ignorant and comparing apples to gudgeon pins here, but I'd like to know who and under what circumstances does someone have access to these millions of dollars worth of coverage that I've been buying since forever.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #5871
rugbyrtcwka
railroader
 
rugbyrtcwka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 512
I think there should be a new movment

One that has everyone who moves out of this province writing a letter to their MP, news papers, and city hall, giving the reasons they couldn't afford to stay in this province any more.
__________________
Old enough to know better but probably do it again.
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #5872
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
In 25 words or less, can somebody explain to me why you 'tobans get such a great deal on your auto insurance, and get SO fucked on your bike insurance?
While you're at it.....who teaches some of the MORONS in Manitoba how to drive cages? Seriously. If a cage has Manitoba plates, I avoid it like the friggen plague! The shit they pull here in Kenora is absolutely criminal! Makes me think you guys should pay more for autos and get a break on bikes?
Red lights? They are just as red in Ontario! But the Manitoba cages never stop if there's nobody in front of them.
There are NO passing lanes in the City of Kenora.....they are LEFT TURN lanes. That's WHY they paint the big fucking white left turn arrows on them.......
Some days I wish I was a LEO. I could nail almost every 'toban cage with something! Fucking BOZOS!!!
End of RANT
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #5873
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,558
Lyle, you should not keep your feelings bottled up like that. Tell us how you really feel. After driving through Kenora last week (why did i do that?) I do see what you mean but it is not just the 'tobans. It is a small town with city traffic in the summer.

But yes why good auto rates and krappy bike rates? (although I understand that auto rates are good until you have convictions or accident claims then they go up ....right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
In 25 words or less, can somebody explain to me why you 'tobans get such a great deal on your auto insurance, and get SO fucked on your bike insurance?
While you're at it.....who teaches some of the MORONS in Manitoba how to drive cages? Seriously. If a cage has Manitoba plates, I avoid it like the friggen plague! The shit they pull here in Kenora is absolutely criminal! Makes me think you guys should pay more for autos and get a break on bikes?
Red lights? They are just as red in Ontario! But the Manitoba cages never stop if there's nobody in front of them.
There are NO passing lanes in the City of Kenora.....they are LEFT TURN lanes. That's WHY they paint the big fucking white left turn arrows on them.......
Some days I wish I was a LEO. I could nail almost every 'toban cage with something! Fucking BOZOS!!!
End of RANT
Lyle
__________________
"The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he came to see.".
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5874
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
Anybody feel like a Saturday night steak in Ely MN., sometime in July or Aug? Feeling the need for meat!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #5875
siren98
Adventurer
 
siren98's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg, where the riding season is too short
Oddometer: 36
MB Drivers

As a Manitoban driver, I would have to agree with this. It's like a zoo out there which is why I like being on my bike - almost 360 degree view, I can see them comin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
In 25 words or less, can somebody explain to me why you 'tobans get such a great deal on your auto insurance, and get SO fucked on your bike insurance?
While you're at it.....who teaches some of the MORONS in Manitoba how to drive cages? Seriously. If a cage has Manitoba plates, I avoid it like the friggen plague! The shit they pull here in Kenora is absolutely criminal! Makes me think you guys should pay more for autos and get a break on bikes?
Red lights? They are just as red in Ontario! But the Manitoba cages never stop if there's nobody in front of them.
There are NO passing lanes in the City of Kenora.....they are LEFT TURN lanes. That's WHY they paint the big fucking white left turn arrows on them.......
Some days I wish I was a LEO. I could nail almost every 'toban cage with something! Fucking BOZOS!!!
End of RANT
Lyle
__________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
siren98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #5876
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
silencejinn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: WiNNiPEG
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Anybody feel like a Saturday night steak in Ely MN., sometime in July or Aug? Feeling the need for meat!
Lyle
I would like to join you for the ride out to Ely. Looks like a good place to tour around, plus the steak
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #5877
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Anybody feel like a Saturday night steak in Ely MN., sometime in July or Aug? Feeling the need for meat!
Lyle
I could be talked into it...have you looked into room availability for weekends?
Fortune Bay Casino has an oldies concert on July 28th. Tommy James, Paul Revere and Herman's Hermits. (Geriatric Medical Team will be on standby)
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Agust 11.....

So there may be a shortage of accomodations on those days.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #5878
rugbyrtcwka
railroader
 
rugbyrtcwka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 512
So much talk of this Ely place

I have most of August off. I think I'd like to check this place out.
__________________
Old enough to know better but probably do it again.
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #5879
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On
 
Mark-II's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 328
Werrl.. I'm looking for a trip to do this summer, so if there is a group going I might well join in. What sort of route is it? Good roads?
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5880
2whlrider
Where to next?
 
2whlrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Flatipeg, Manitoba
Oddometer: 785
Some Ontario driver's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
While you're at it.....who teaches some of the MORONS in Manitoba how to drive cages? Seriously. If a cage has Manitoba plates, I avoid it like the friggen plague! The shit they pull here in Kenora is absolutely criminal! Makes me think you guys should pay more for autos and get a break on bikes?
Red lights? They are just as red in Ontario! But the Manitoba cages never stop if there's nobody in front of them.
There are NO passing lanes in the City of Kenora.....they are LEFT TURN lanes. That's WHY they paint the big fucking white left turn arrows on them.......
Some days I wish I was a LEO. I could nail almost every 'toban cage with something! Fucking BOZOS!!!
End of RANT
Lyle
We were driving around Kenora today and I can assure you there are just as many moron Ontario driver's as Manitoba.
Manitoba does not have the corner on the market!
__________________
On two wheels....That's my Happy Place!
2whlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014