Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #3736
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPickle View Post
under Manitoba Graduated Drivers licensing Law You need to be in the Learner stage for 9 months.

My suggestion to you is to contact the rental store, and explain your situation. Perhaps if you show them your Columbian License and the Manitoba Learners, they will grant you the rental as you shown that you hold a full license in another country.
And the MPI "screwing" of bikers in Manitoba continues...
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #3737
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
And the MPI "screwing" of bikers in Manitoba continues...
Ohh... I hope this doesn't open a can of worms...... but.... I couldn't disagree more.

Forcing new motorcyclists to Graduated licensing is a good idea in my books. Both for our collective insurance rates and the safety of the new riders. In fact I'd like to see motorcycle restrictions on graduated licensing. It's completely absurd to me that a 17 year old kid with a motorcycle learners permit can legally buy and drive a Hayabusa pushing 170 bHP.

Being licensed in another jurisdiction doesn't prove that your skill set or experience equals our standards, so you're in the program again.

Everytime I read about another dead or heavily injured rider I wonder if it was inexperience or lack of respect for the machine's power. I'm all for GDL and would absolutely love to see a 500cc or 650cc limit on riders that don't carry a full license
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #3738
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Ohh... I hope this doesn't open a can of worms...... but.... I couldn't disagree more.

Forcing new motorcyclists to Graduated licensing is a good idea in my books. Both for our collective insurance rates and the safety of the new riders. In fact I'd like to see motorcycle restrictions on graduated licensing. It's completely absurd to me that a 17 year old kid with a motorcycle learners permit can legally buy and drive a Hayabusa pushing 170 bHP.

Being licensed in another jurisdiction doesn't prove that your skill set or experience equals our standards, so you're in the program again.

Everytime I read about another dead or heavily injured rider I wonder if it was inexperience or lack of respect for the machine's power. I'm all for GDL and would absolutely love to see a 500cc or 650cc limit on riders that don't carry a full license
Just because a rider isn't licensed in Manitoba does NOT make him some "squid". We're talking about a rider with experience from another country. MPI is a Government money grab in the motorcycle world. I'm for limiting cc's for NEW riders, and safety as much as the next guy, but your system in Manitoba is complete and pure bull shit across the board. When it costs more to insure a CB125 than a 650 cc Bergman, there's bull shit somewhere. Time for Manitoba to privatize insurance.
Why force people to ride Royal Enfield Bullets, only to get T-boned crossing on a GREEN by one of Winnipeg's colour blind idiots?
The worms are out of the can!
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #3739
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just because a rider isn't licensed in Manitoba does NOT make him some "squid".
Whao....Hold up there pardner.

Did I say that because some guy comes from another country that he is automatically a squid? Nope.

however. in some countries you don't need to show the same skill as here. Countries with different traffic laws, and traffic levels may have completely different laws. Somebody that's not familiar with our traffic system perhaps, shouldn't be driving at night, with a passenger or with a non zero blood alcohol level.

Since that's the difference between 6F and 6L I don't see it so harsh.

The problem is..... you can't change the licensing laws dependent of the riders country of origin. It would be completely unfair to tell and American immigrant that he/she can go straight to 6F and say an Indian immigrant. Now this has nothing to do with Race religion or anything like that... merely the requirements needed to be licensed in another jurisdiction. This is a video that shows the requirement to obtain a license to drive in India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #3740
stubblejumper

Oddometer: 193
Manitoba Bike Licence

Yep the can of worms is open. I agree that there should be a cc. limit on bikes for new drivers and that the graduated system is a good one. I`m sure that if I moved somewhere else and wanted to get my motorcycle licence I would have to follow there rules and regulations, I may not like it but tough for me. If you have driven for years and have a current bike licence, maybe the graduated licence part could be replaced with just a driving test but you still should have to have a test. Yes MPI rates for bikes are way to high, but what am I going to do, move? The government doesn`t really care. We could all stop riding bikes and it wouldn`t mean anything to them. We still have to get around so we would have cars and they have to be insured by MPI. The gov`t gets their money anyway. I haven`t checked lately on what a scooter costs to drive but it was alot less than the motorcycles to insure. And that is wrong, 2 wheels and a motor, looks like a cousin to a motorcycle to me. Pay the same for insurance to be on the road. So if you want to have a Manitoba motorcycle license you have to follow the same rules as everyone else. I think the rates should go according to the drivers driving record. Good driver = lower rate, not so good driver = higher rates. And thats for driving any kind of vehicle in Manitoba on the roads. Have a great day and be safe on the roads.
`11 Ram SLT Hemi 4x4

stubblejumper screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 07:29 AM
stubblejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #3741
skysailor
Rat Rider

Let me reiterate. I do agree with limiting the displacement for new riders. However, that's not always the best yardstick. My 650 Bandit will eat my buddy's Vulcan 900 for lunch, so in that case, maybe limit the BHP output?
I do think my Manitoba neighbours do get a little "milked" by MPI New riders and old dogs as well.
Is there a cc limit in MB for new riders? Is there some reason a guy in Texas pays 200$ a year for a GSXR, while a guy in MB pays over 2.5K for a GS500? I think you guys really need privatized auto/bike insurance.
And, Pickle....NO offence intended.
Lyle
Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #3742
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pickle....NO offence intended.
None taken. In fact you're arguing a different point than me completely. I made no reference to premium rates. My opinion was solely on licensing.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #3743
kamlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
insurance

be careful what you wish for. private insurance comes with its own misery, and here in ontario, i don't believe you actually save that much, let alone the aggravation of looking for and finding a company that won't make collecting on a claim, an exercise in frustration.

each company here has their own restrictions as to what they think you should ride or not, and not much of it makes much sense. don't expect private insurance to be any different than manitoba, cause it is all about the money here.
kamlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #3744
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamlander View Post
be careful what you wish for. private insurance comes with its own misery, and here in ontario, i don't believe you actually save that much, let alone the aggravation of looking for and finding a company that won't make collecting on a claim, an exercise in frustration.

each company here has their own restrictions as to what they think you should ride or not, and not much of it makes much sense. don't expect private insurance to be any different than manitoba, cause it is all about the money here.
I've always been a big fan of letting the American insurance companies into Canada. And American cell phone companies.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #3745
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Who really has disposed of a shock absorber in a fire? Is that warning necessary?
You know, until I saw that warning I had no desire to toss a shock absorber into a fire...
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #3746
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
None taken. In fact you're arguing a different point than me completely. I made no reference to premium rates. My opinion was solely on licensing.
Actually you did!

"Graduated licensing is a good idea in my books. Both for our collective insurance rates and the safety of the new riders."

In my opinion, the Graduated licensing, even though its a great coarse and everyone should take it, has done nothing to decrease our insurance. In fact our insurance's have been increasing since graduated licensing was adopted. The only thing that has reduced our premiums is the fact the the PUB has been holding MPI's feet to the fire for making too much money off of the public and not adjusting the premiums accordingly.

Don't kid yourself, MPIC is a money grab coorperation, plain and simple.

rugbyrtcwka screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 02:06 PM
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #3747
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDJ View Post
I realize the magnitude of what I am about to ask, but I can't think of any other options.

I recently moved to Winnipeg from Colombia, where I used to own a '08 KLR650. I am currently getting my Canadian Motorcycle License and have reached the point where I have to take my road test (already taken knowledge test, and completed 21-hour course). Problem is, I don't currently have a bike to do the road test on (I don't intend to get one until next year).

I need to get my Full License (6F) before then, because I have a vacation planned where I intend to rent a bike.

I have looked into motorcycle rental here in Winnipeg, but I can't find anything.

Is anyone here in Winnipeg willing to loan me their motorcycle so that I can take the road test? Perhaps we can come up with a way where I can make it worth your time/effort/trust.

Thanks!
I might have your solution, but we have to talk. PM me.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #3748
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,558
A New Camping Gear Store

Just stopped by to check out the new shop... TRAIL DREAMS, clothing and gear.

Excellent little place, which handles light and ultra light gear.

I would say they are priced well, within the limits of MEC and Cabellas.

Located at 12 - 1500 Dakota St., next to the Sobey's.

www.trail-dreams.ca
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #3749
skysailor
Rat Rider

Wilderness Supply at 623 Ferry Road is a pretty good spot along the same lines. Really nice folks to deal with. Hiking, camping supplies etc. I find MEC to be a little too, well, MEC. Cabela's is just too overwhelming.
Lyle
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #3750
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,558
Quote:
Wilderness Supply at 623 Ferry Road is a pretty good spot along the same lines. Really nice folks to deal with. Hiking, camping supplies etc. I find MEC to be a little too, well, MEC. Cabela's is just too overwhelming.
Lyle
Wilderness may be out of business...I believe I heard they were have a closing out sale last month.