User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #376
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,160
Hey guys

I am sure you guys are not letting the cold get to your fun of the ride! Some whisky will take away those numb fingers...Take care, ride safe, and make sure throw some pics up when you can! G...loved those Nissan wind deflectors on your GS! Great job buddy!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #377
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
You're all invited to the last day-trip of the season. (for me, anyway)

We're gonna follow the trail that on-off led some of you on last fall. We're hoping to reach the end, and maybe explore along the way.

On-off, any new tips? You gonna join us?

When, Monday, October 26, early start time, 7:30ish leaving Winnipeg. We'll have breakfast somewhere along the way or in the Whiteshell.

We will be home by 6:30pm (at least I hope to be)

Rain/shine/sleet, except for ice on the roads the ride is on.

PM for more details.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #378
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
Hey Greg. is Steve with you guys?

I phoned , his girlfriend said he's out for a ride.....
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #379
on-off
Six String Slinger

Oddometer: 242
monday

I would love to join you guys{Whiteshell},but I just took a day. Give me a PM and we can figure out how far you got last time and maybe further this run {dam I wanna go}. Saturday I got a new winter suit for the boggin' and Sunday never caught up to Bob M. but I did some track time.About 15 laps,a couple at a time, what a work out! Has to help with the reflexes and skills. This track will welcome sleds in the winter! Hell Ya!!
Yami 06 XT225 for sale
Yami 09 Blacked Out 650 Custom
on-off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #380
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
Hey Greg. is Steve with you guys?

I phoned , his girlfriend said he's out for a ride.....
Advances in science are amazing. What variety of sheep have they taught a vocabulary?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #381
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on-off
I would love to join you guys{Whiteshell},but I just took a day. Give me a PM and we can figure out how far you got last time and maybe further this run {dam I wanna go}. Saturday I got a new winter suit for the boggin' and Sunday never caught up to Bob M. but I did some track time.About 15 laps,a couple at a time, what a work out! Has to help with the reflexes and skills. This track will welcome sleds in the winter! Hell Ya!!
Last time we got to what seemed like a construction area, the trail area really opened up, and the trail seemed to curl up a hill. (I thought it stopped there...but Tobi later told me it continued on!). I'll see if I can find a pic...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #382
on-off
Six String Slinger

Monday's Ride

Looks like you guys made it down the main part of that logging road. From that point, there are several secondary two track roads. If you followed the road that G.Pickle pointed out it should go up by Caddy. When you guys got to that point and turned back, there would have been a road heading West up a small hill and you would see a wire gate that you drive around (as adventure riders do). You can follow that road which gets into a very small mining road that is quite overgrown but still driveable. When we went out this summer, a tree was knocked down and cut off the path, but like adventure riders do.....we rode around it. Where's a fricken axe when you need it! About two or three kms in that road you come to an old Star Lake gold mine, highlighted by old school buses and a shop. That would be an interesting ride for you guys, if you can find it on your way back to Star Lake. I wish you guys were going Friday, because I just realized that Friday, I can do. Safe journey anyways, let us know how it went.
Yami 06 XT225 for sale

on-off screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 05:09 PM
Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #383
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-off
I did some track time.About 15 laps,a couple at a time, what a work out! Has to help with the reflexes and skills!
What track are you talking about? I don't really know of any in the area that are maintained.

Would have been nice if you had come out to Seddons, I think the jeeps were intimidated by me, I was tearing across some of the open areas of sand and gravel at 100k+ only to slam on the rear brake, lean the bike over hit the gas, drift the corner and open it back up again. While they all had to keep it in first gear to avoid getting shaken apart or hammering their front end into the ground. They were all nice guys (one of the guys had put over $60,000 into his jeep) and they all certainly liked climbing sandy hills.

On the narrow trails with soft sand I had to keep letting them get ahead so I could keep my front end light through the hairy bits.

Long story short ADV riders are more fun then 4Wheelers, those guys are just too slow, it did give me a chance to practice my slow speed control in soft conditions.
BOBMUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #384
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,527
Ride report for trip to Northern Min. is located on the Northern Rally thread.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #385
on-off
Six String Slinger

Track time

Sorry,the track I was at is called "Hurricane Alley",out by Garson. 10 beans for a drop-in or twenty a month. Something different,close to{my}home,people to pick me up and dust me off when I go down. Hey what's the weather like for this weekend? Could we get out for a wind up ride,maybe a drink and mingle? Or is mingleing a faux pa,cause were pretty much hard asses by nature! Hey new patch idea"flatlander hard asses"
Yami 06 XT225 for sale
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #386
EnzoftheRoad
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 10
Winnipeg to Phoenix last week.

Hi all,

Long time (many years) lurker - usual reasons: someone asks my question first, better or... plus this is more of a dirt than street forum. Regardless, someone asked for more info on our ride, so here's what happened. The bikes: '01 Honda ST1100 w/factory ABS & Traction Control, CB, Zumo 550 & heavily farkled; '09 Honda ST1300 w/ABS & Zumo 660 & '04 Honda GL1800 w/ABS, CB, Zumo 550, heated grips, electric jacket and lots of Tupperware on all of 'em.

You may remember the snow we rec'd on Friday, October 9th.

Sunday, October 11: left Winnipeg ~10 a.m. waiting for roads to dry, temp was ~3c. Temp stayed stable most of the day, late afternoon started to drop slowly. As it hit 0c it started to snow heavily. Made it to Dell Rapids, SD and we got off the road a.s.a.p.

Monday, 12th: snowed a few inches overnite. Didn't get on the road until 11 a.m. Temps were 1c and stayed there for several hours. LOTS of trucks including semi's in the ditch from the nite before. Weather channel was saying temps were 20-40F below seasonal norms. Lots more snow just west, I think Rapid City, SD rec'd 5 inches. Temp slowly increased to 5c and then popped to just over 10c for the last couple of hours. Made it to Emporia City, KS. Figured the freezing was behind us, actually looked forward to the rain (vs. snow/ice behind us) the next day.

Tuesday, 13th: weather forecast was wet and fog. On the road by ~9 a.m. About 7c. Rode in fog/light mist/drizzle basically all day. Fog quite heavy as we approached Amarillo, Tx. Reached a high of 14c at that point. Then just as we entered Amarillo, the fog lifted and the temp went up from 14c to 24c in about 10 minutes. Rode in mid-20's the rest of the day. V. nice as we rode into the setting sun. Did about 1000 km's today. Don't think I've ever been on this stretch of I-40 - interesting (and typical) high dessert with some nice vista's, views and colors. The last 4 hours was all at about 4-5000' elevation as per GPS. You may know that most of I-40 in Arizona is 6000' + and 7,000' thru Flagstaff. Supposed to be warm the rest of the way but 30-50 MPH (not kph) winds tomorrow so it might get a little interesting. Ended up in Santa Rosa, NM, about 100 miles from Roswell (aliens...).

Wednesday, 14th: Temp started in mid-teens and went to ~25c by end of day. Wind was 20-30 mph out of the west all day so a little interesting passing trucks and around some curves - especially as you crested a big hill and especially when all 3 happened at the same time! Elevation from 5000' to 7,200' at continental divide back down to 5,000' or so thru Albuquerque and up to 7,200' again at Flagstaff. Stayed in Sedona. Had a great tex-mex meal and went for a long walk thru town this morning before we got on the bikes. Sedonna is v. touristy and v. pretty - like most things in the States, I would have loved to see it ~40 years ago. BTW, there was a Porsche 356 convention in Sedona - someone said ~300 cars. Not sure about that but there were more than I've ever seen in one place. Took lots of pix - another fun thing to dream about/spend $ on...
Thursday, 15th: Rode from Sedona to Phoenix. Temps went from tall teens to 33c by noon.

We rode 75+ mph (as per GPS) most of the trip. Our route took us south to I-40 and then west to try and get around the miserable weather. Will likely come back via Denver in spring 2010. All bikes ran flawlessly but my GL blew the rear valve stem on Friday in Phoenix. Full credit to my guardian angel for keeping that from happening in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. We thot about riding around Phoenix but it was 102F (40c) so we just did a few day loops.

Bikes are in storage - hope to go down for a ride at least once over the winter. Otherwise, fly back in spring and ride 'em home.

Thanks for reading.
EnzoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #387
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Nice to see a ride report.... sounds like you guys had it all for weather.

Did you get a chance to take photos ?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #388
EnzoftheRoad
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 10
Yes, I have pix but not sure how to post. My pix are probably too big too so I guess I will need to shrink 'em first?
EnzoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #389
BackRoader
Heading There Next

I use photo bucket..... will PM you with instructions
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #390
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Oddometer: 484
So there are some murmurings of a ride taking place this Sunday, I am definitely up for a good run around, Chime in if you are interested.
BOBMUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote