Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #5731
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
The reality of my situation is that I'm at the heavy end of the scale for a rider, and likely always will be (trying to drop those last 50lbs is difficult, but doable, and I'll still be at least 240 all geared-up). Also - top cases of any sort aren't going to do it for me - I've flexibility/balance issues that make mounting with anything on the back rack next to impossible, physically.

So it's not that I don't like the KLR - I'm just asking an awful lot of it. And in the end I can afford to own and keep 1 motorcycle, and so that bike has to fulfill every role from daily commuter to potentially a long distance tourer. As far as ADV bikes go, honestly I think it's down to the Tiger 800/XC or F650/800GS, and the Tiger is a hard sell since you can't bloody well test ride one.

I'm not exactly certain how some of these manufacturers expect you to buy a bike just by sitting on it in a show room. Harley does it right, as does BMW, (and presumably Honda and Yamaha, but I've not been to their demos) and the rest just leave their dealers hanging out in the wind and the customers hoping a trade-in is available to test.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #5732
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Hope 685 or 705 kits can provide enough power for this purpose.
PM will probably chime in once he gets home from Hay River (hopefully tonight), but I know that he has put the KLR through its paces in several challenging locales, riding through mountains, big hills, and many other places...I have never heard him complain about not having enough power since he put the 705 kit in...

He and I will be riding out to Nivervill
e sometime on Saturday, but I am not so sure we will catch the parade...We will catch up with folks when we get there...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #5733
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
I looked at this very carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Hope 685 or 705 kits can provide enough power for this purpose.
I have a 685 kit on order from Happy-Trail. It's on sale right now for $243.50 (plus head gasket): http://www.happy-trail.com/Kawasaki-...85-KLR650.aspx

705 kit costs twice that... for only 18cc displacement gain!? Not worth it IMO. That money would be better spent on cylinder head work. These guys explain this well here: http://www.mtechmotorcycles.com/perf...5-705-kits.htm

As my bike is a '92, I had to buy a '96 (or newer) cylinder assembly for the 685 kit. Found one for a decent price on eBay. The 685 kit should be here any day. Am in no hurry to do the work... maybe wait 'till winter?

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 02:49 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #5734
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
The reality of my situation is that I'm at the heavy end of the scale for a rider, and likely always will be (trying to drop those last 50lbs is difficult, but doable, and I'll still be at least 240 all geared-up). Also - top cases of any sort aren't going to do it for me - I've flexibility/balance issues that make mounting with anything on the back rack next to impossible, physically.

So it's not that I don't like the KLR - I'm just asking an awful lot of it. And in the end I can afford to own and keep 1 motorcycle, and so that bike has to fulfill every role from daily commuter to potentially a long distance tourer. As far as ADV bikes go, honestly I think it's down to the Tiger 800/XC or F650/800GS, and the Tiger is a hard sell since you can't bloody well test ride one.

I'm not exactly certain how some of these manufacturers expect you to buy a bike just by sitting on it in a show room. Harley does it right, as does BMW, (and presumably Honda and Yamaha, but I've not been to their demos) and the rest just leave their dealers hanging out in the wind and the customers hoping a trade-in is available to test.

If you don't mind a drive the Triumph dealer in Fargo would likely let you test drive a Tiger.
I bought a Thunderbird off them a couple of years ago after they actually trailered one up to the border so I could test drive it!
I also have a friend locally that's talking of selling his Tiger so PM me if you're interested.
Ian
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #5735
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Well, turns out at least one person liked my resumé... the manager at Wholesale Sports. So I'm starting work in the Camping department on tuesday :)

Thanks to everyone who tried helping me out when I was panicking about being jobless. If this gig turns out to be super sitty though, I'll look at the options you guys gave me again cause I seriously considered some of them.

- Mel
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #5736
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Well, turns out at least one person liked my resumé... the manager at Wholesale Sports. So I'm starting work in the Camping department on tuesday :)

Thanks to everyone who tried helping me out when I was panicking about being jobless. If this gig turns out to be super sitty though, I'll look at the options you guys gave me again cause I seriously considered some of them.

- Mel
Congrats!!! So are you coming out on Sat with us?
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #5737
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 652
Be Careful !!!

Selling a bike on Kijiji and I got this reply

Thanks for the response Does it need anything to be replace or repair
if theirs please specify,i will take it for the listed price,Payment
will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as
well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your
location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. I would
appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too,since
i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to
send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

I googled the guys email address and found this page

http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6821068-0-asc-30.html

.....obviously a scam attempt ! There are some REAL low lifes out there. Be careful.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #5738
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Quote:

- Mel
That is great news Mel. I have done some camping shopping there in the past and have had good experience with them. Good luck.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #5739
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Selling a bike on Kijiji and I got this reply

Thanks for the response Does it need anything to be replace or repair
if theirs please specify,i will take it for the listed price,Payment
will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as
well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your
location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. I would
appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too,since
i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to
send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

I googled the guys email address and found this page

http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6821068-0-asc-30.html

.....obviously a scam attempt ! There are some REAL low lifes out there. Be careful.
It's a scam. I get something similar often. I always text back to give me a call or I will call. They send another text and I reply with forwarded to RCMP and suddenly they no longer text.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #5740
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 823
Quote:

- Mel
Congrat's on the new job Mel.
Hope you like it.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #5741
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraisrider View Post
If you don't mind a drive the Triumph dealer in Fargo would likely let you test drive a Tiger.
I bought a Thunderbird off them a couple of years ago after they actually trailered one up to the border so I could test drive it!
I also have a friend locally that's talking of selling his Tiger so PM me if you're interested.
Ian
Why's he thinking of selling?

I was planning to head down to Fargo anyway at some point in the next couple weeks, so I'll take my gear, though I'd feel a bit of a schnook riding a bike I wasn't going to buy from them.

BMW is going to be doing demos again in August too, so I'll get another go at the F650/800

I was basically given a value of $4700 for my bike, as it sits, for trade-in. Salesman was pretty insistent that I had dropped it, due to some scuffs on the right handguard and bar-end weight. I told him I park it next to the house and it sometimes gets rubbed on the tyndal stone. Not sure if he believed me, which I was rather insulted by (my bike has NEVER been down).

Honda demo was a non-starter for me - no NC700 and nothing else that I was remotely comfortable sitting on, which is a shame because I was even eyeing up the CBF600.

Once more I'm swinging over to the thought of keeping the KLR till next spring. Haste makes waste, and all that stuff!
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #5742
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,594
First......... good on you Mel....I make a number of trips to Whole Sale Sports and buy gear there as well. (The last time I tried to buy sleeping bags, there was no staff..eneded up talking to the shoe sales guy, who was no help) I am looking forward to seeing a familiar face...

Second.... I hear Finndian got 4th in the Dacar...not sure which one, still waiting for a report..

Third.... Mark96 reported a scam... there has been 4 false adds on Kijiji in the last month. A bike is for sale, limited information. An email response from the seller, sounds similar to Marks story. (Check the address provided by the seller, it has been the Winnipeg Musem)

4th... don't forget the Antique Bike Rally this weekend. Stop in for a visit on Saturday.. Show N Shine starts at 10:00 am until 13:00.

5th...Everyone have a great long weekend and Happy Canada Day !!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #5743
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll love it. Camping is something I love so come on down when I'm working if you like.

And unfortunately no, I won't be attending this saturday because I'm flying out to go see Chris in Edmonton one last time till the end of summer, so it's pretty important to me that I go.

-Mel
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #5744
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll love it. Camping is something I love so come on down when I'm working if you like.

And unfortunately no, I won't be attending this saturday because I'm flying out to go see Chris in Edmonton one last time till the end of summer, so it's pretty important to me that I go.

-Mel
Have you ever considered getting into the environmental stuff?

I work at a fly out camp, they are always looking for ppl like that!

PM me for more details
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #5745
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Anything. I haven't a full university degree yet, but I'm a couple years in. besides that, my main field of expertise is in arctic survival and then temperate weather hiking/camping. So naturally, I'd like a job that is outdoors, but like I said, I can't be picky if im desperate. Or I guess I haven't said that on the forum yet but in some PM replies. Anyway, you get the point haha,
If you like working out doors, keep your eye on the CPR web site. They are still trying to fill their conductor classes.