Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #571
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Oddometer: 484
One other thing I just thought of is making sure the stator on the bike has the juice to run the lights.

Apparently a lot of people who do legalizing forget to check that and their bikes either wont run or they need to charge their battery every day because the new stuff draws too much current.
BOBMUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #572
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
Well, he called MPI and they gave him another number to call, the guys who know all the rules...

They told him unless Honda makes a kit to add to the bike, he's SOL.

Stubble, can you get more info on that CRF in Winkler?

Next I told him to call a couple shots and see what they can do for him.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #573
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

GermanPickle saw a scooter on Friday, and a Hardley downtown today...

Who wants to meet up for coffee tomorrow? Hooked up the battery charger today.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #574
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee
GermanPickle saw a scooter on Friday, and a Hardley downtown today...
Who wants to meet up for coffee tomorrow? Hooked up the battery charger today.
Bike's still in pieces, though I dropped off the cylinder with the new 705 sleeve in it - for machining at Outboard Rebore at Deacon's Corner today.
With luck it'll be ready for pickup on Monday. I may just have a working bike this month. This warm weather sure has me getting antsy!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #575
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

With this little snowfall, we should be having an awesome early spring. Almost makes up for the crappy summer.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #576
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Careful what you say, it could turn into a wicked snow storm come early April and that would just screw us over...
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #577
stubblejumper

Oddometer: 179
Weather

You are right BOB. Winter isn`t over yet and living in Manitoba you just never know what is around the corner as far as the weather. Still quite abit of snow here in Morden. Sledding is still good. Haven`t seen any bikes out, way to slippery unless your tires are studded. I will find out about the CRF in Winkler. The guy is a mechanic at Janzens car dealership in Winkler. I think the kit he put on was a Baja Designs kit. Honda as far as I know isn`t into those kits. His bike sure looks good. It really catches you eye just like the Blonde Next Door Just checked the Baja Designs site. Looks like the kit will cost you about $460.00 in US dollars. Starts to get kinda pricy after awhile.
`11 Ram SLT Hemi 4x4

stubblejumper screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 06:34 AM
stubblejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #578
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Hey guys, just got this from my boss (long time rider, but its a harley )

For buying anything from the states he uses a parcel service just south of the border in Pembina ND to ship it to.

He then drives down on a quarter tank of gas in his truck, picks up the package fills up with gas and drives back, saving loads of cash on the brokerage fees for having things shipped across the border.

Its a little old lady named Heady and she charges a flat rate of $5 USD per parcel, and it can be any size.

If ordering tires ask the seller to wrap them all together and the same goes for multiple items, get them in one box.

Address is

Pembina Parcel Service / (your name)
276 South Cavalier St.
Pembina, ND 58271
United States

Adding the name on the end there is important as she may ask you to prove you are who you say you are when picking up the package.

I know this will save me some cash when I decide to get a new seat in the spring/summer. Also keep in mind that items made in the states dont have duty on them so its just sales tax.

One more thing, don't go to pick up your package at some ridiculous time as this is her home, aim for the middle of the day, and somebody will always be there, it used to be the honor system but people weren't dropping their 5 bucks in the tin on the way out.

EDIT: The phone number is 1-701-825-6205 and the web site is http://www.pembinaparcel.com/
Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #579
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Good to know, thanks for the tip...
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #580
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBMUNZ
Hey guys, just got this from my boss (long time rider, but its a harley )

For buying anything from the states he uses a parcel service just south of the border in Pembina ND to ship it to.

He then drives down on a quarter tank of gas in his truck, picks up the package fills up with gas and drives back, saving loads of cash on the brokerage fees for having things shipped across the border.

Its a little old lady named Heady and she charges a flat rate of $5 USD per parcel, and it can be any size.

If ordering tires ask the seller to wrap them all together and the same goes for multiple items, get them in one box.

Address is

Pembina Parcel Service / (your name)
276 South Cavalier St.
Pembina, ND 58271
United States

Adding the name on the end there is important as she may ask you to prove you are who you say you are when picking up the package.

I know this will save me some cash when I decide to get a new seat in the spring/summer. Also keep in mind that items made in the states dont have duty on them so its just sales tax.

One more thing, don't go to pick up your package at some ridiculous time as this is her home, aim for the middle of the day, and somebody will always be there, it used to be the honor system but people weren't dropping their 5 bucks in the tin on the way out.

EDIT: The phone number is 1-701-825-6205 and the web site is http://www.pembinaparcel.com/

I was there in the evening a few weeks ago to pick up some furniture I ordered. It was on the honor system. (I assume she was eating supper or something) I'm as honest as the come, so putting my money in the basket was a no-brainer...but it was seeing the boxes with "HONDA" and such that weren't mine that really tested my strength. oh yes, and you could just run off with that basket (tupperware container) of 5ers too.

I'm sure she has boxes go missing from time to time.

FYI, to avoid the busy border, there is also a service in Gretna. Just do a search, it'll be the first hit on google. He charges a little less for small stuff, but it goes by weight. They also have a forklift for the big stuff.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #581
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

The only thing I don't know about how it works (because I haven't used it yet) is if you have to set up an account online to use it now or if you can just send it and pick it up.

Oh and by the way her name is Hetty not Heddy, my bad.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #582
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

I setup my account a year or two ago...but the first time I used it was 3 weeks ago.

The account is only there so she has your contact info and you can track whether your package was received or not (if the shipper doesn't give you that info). Also, when you use the form to tell her a package is coming, you tell her your name, size+contents of the parcel.

When you get there, basically a garage/workshop and all the packages are in alphabetical order. Each parcel has your name and an ID# from her website. take your package, put $5 into the envelope and drop it in the box and you're on your way.

She must have an absolute gold mine there. Must have been 300 packages there on shelves and on the floor when I picked up my furniture.

I would say setup your account beforehand, why not...it takes 60 seconds.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #583
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I've used Menke's several times. "Snooky" will serve you well. The port is much easier to get through as far as time is concerned.
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #584
champ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Parcel services across border

Just have your package sent to the parcel service address. I also give them a heads up email but was told it wasn't necessary.
You need your receipt once your coming back across as you will have to pay the taxes but you've saved $ on the brokerage fees. It works great, I don't even have to pick it up as a co worker uses this service at least once a month and I give her a few bucks extra for gas with the tax $ she will need.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #585
champ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Reading

Just read "Race to Dakar" which got my blood going on doing some adventure riding, was even considering changing rides for a bit (can't afford 2 bikes and insurance) but looking forward to this season. Going to upgrade the seat though, those long rides to the adventure areas are a real pain in the but.
Is the "ice breaker" going to be on this year? Can it be later in May ( with our springs the last couple years it will still qualify for Ice breaker probably)
Anyone else read this book?
champ is offline   Reply With Quote