Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #6046
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Great ride to Thunder Bay yesterday. Met Dryden_54 for coffee and then pushed on for a 4:30 arrival.
Heading back Tuesday, was planning to go through the Fort.

Can anyone tell me if Atikokan is the only Premium fuel stop.?
It is the only one. Mine center has fuel but I do not think it has the good juice.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #6047
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
gpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by on-off View Post
GPickle,ride to Honda Bills on your KLR then ask to demo the used GL out to K Town.http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ398675098

Great idea! (unless their staff reads this thread ;) Thanks for the tip
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #6048
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
It is the only one. Mine center has fuel but I do not think it has the good juice.
No gas at Mine Center, only at Choke and Nickle Lake.

Came back through Sioux Narrows, way too slow, 80 Kms...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #6049
Oldrookie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Cheezies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
Yesterday's meanderings took us well beyond the anticipated 200-300 km day, as we ended up in Nepean ON, at the home of Old Rookie and his lady-love Linda...and made delivery of a limited edition, and totally unofficial, NoFAR Rally "Broken Clavichord Award" Commemorative T.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whyswom...in/photostream

We had departed from Parry Sound around 10 am, planning to take our time and find a quiet camping spot that would leave us set to hit Hamilton (and DSP) for a tire change first thing this am. Now, Brian put a set of Pirellis on the Burgie at the start of the season, and had anticipated changing out the rear one when we got to Ontario - hence the plan to visit Les and Catharine at DSP - but the tires, with almost 10,000 kms on them, still have plenty of life left and, in fact, Brian figures they will hold up until we get back into Ontario on our return leg.

Hence we started out slow and easy, taking country roads hither and yon through farmer's fields, and ended up stopping for lunch at Bewdley Corner Pizza (at Rice Lake ON), where they make the most amazing crust for the pizza...Here is a photo of Brian savouring a slice of his Hawaiian pizza - complete with the requisite "stringy cheese":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whyswom...n/photostream/

After being suitably fortified with the pizza, we decided to check and see if John and Linda would be willing to let us throw up a tent in their back yard (so we could keep up the pretence of "camping", but they said no - they had something better planned for us...So we got on the 401 and beetled it the remaining 356 kms from Bewdney Beach to Nepean ON, where we had a lovely visit...And camped on a great big ol' air mattress in John's Man Cave...

Today's plan is to find Brian a new visor somewhere in the region, before heading to Montreal and trying to find a replacement mic for my SENA (I broke mine), before setting our course for New Brunswick...

I hope everyone is travelling safely out there...
Hey Lee, Please tell Brian that he forgot his Cheezies and I'll hold them for him.
Old Rookie
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #6050
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Greg, what would happen if you ran one tank of regular through the GS? You have about 1/4-1/3 of a tank of hi-test in there to start, so the octane rating would be higher than with just the cheap stuff? Frankly, I wouldn't sweat it. Isn't there an octane "boost" you can get at CDN Tire you could keep on the bike for just such occasions?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #6051
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Greg, what would happen if you ran one tank of regular through the GS? You have about 1/4-1/3 of a tank of hi-test in there to start, so the octane rating would be higher than with just the cheap stuff? Frankly, I wouldn't sweat it. Isn't there an octane "boost" you can get at CDN Tire you could keep on the bike for just such occasions?
Lyle
Lyle you should know by now Greg could never trust a bike that had even been parked near a gas pump that had only regular. He would be forced to sell it. The bike would never run the same. Hell it might not run long enough for him to get home safe.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #6052
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Just got back from the Rockies

Did a loop up to Edmonton/Jasper, Lake Louise/Banff, thru Kananaskis (Hwy 40 - Yummie!!) and back through the Cypress Hills. Just worked it out - 3665 kms total in 8 days, and 3 of them were no riding days. I made it all the way back from Cypress Hills yesterday - 975 kms in 1 day, a personal best for me on any motorcycle, never mind a KLR! Rode thru a heavy, heavy rainstorm too (1 hour+). The KLR ran well, and really surprised me in it's ability to pull the sidecar up and over three 7000+ ft passes in the Rockies - talk about working hard! It burned close to 2 litres of oil, so close to 1/2 a litre per 1000kms - pretty decent in my books considering how hard the engine was getting flogged. So, in the spirit of no pics it didn't happen:

I brought a bunch of stuff - must have set some kind of record for loading down a KLR!

Makes for deluxe camping tho...

Exiting the Rockies, in the foothills just west of Longview. We camped back a ways at Greenford (very nice!).

The "Lookout" looking north onto the prairies from Cypress Hills - spectacular! Some nice trails in there. I'll be back!

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 01:48 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #6053
skysailor
Rat Rider

Great shots!! A KLR with a hack? Who'd a thunk it?
Lyle
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #6054
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
an update

the Piffle/Whys Maritime Meandering continues...we are now happily ensconced in the North Star Inn in North Sydney, Cape Breton, waiting to sail to Newfoundland tomorrow evening. We scarfed back a lovely feed of haddock for dinner, and are both feeling replete, and ready to "veg out" for the rest of the evening.

Today started early - we both woke up around 3 am, and gave up trying to sleep at 4. We grabbed coffee at a Timmy's in Moncton, then hit the road at 6:05 am. It was a short riding day, as we arrived at the Ferry terminal around 2 pm, hoping to sail tonight, but alas, it was not to be, and we had to make a reservation for tomorrow instead.

We hit some serious fog outside of Truro, which lasted until around Antigonish -- and I felt extremely "hard-core" when I got to the other side of it, although Brian says that was nothing...It was big to ME though...

I am starting to recognize that we may not be able to pack in the Cabot Trail this time around, as the timing of the ferry rides just makes it difficult to line things up properly...In addition to visiting our friend Susan in Newfoundland, we are also making a 3 day stop in Aylesford NS, to visit another woman named Susan, whom I have not seen in a great many years .... If something has to give, it will be the Cabot Trail...

Anyway, we are getting along as well as can be expected - given the fact that we have very different riding styles and skill sets...My kudos to the Pifflemaster who is learning (as am I) that sometimes we just need to bite our tongues...For the most part, he has done a great job of navigating the mercurial mood-swings of an overtired/overstimulated Whyswoman...and I love him for that

Most of the pictures I have taken thus far have been done with my iphone - and posted on my FaceBook pages...I have yet to pull out the DSLR, which i am holding back on until we get on the ferry to Newfoundland
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #6055
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,772
My F800 is the only one that actually requires it but I use premium in all of my bikes. Most places it is the only gas you can get that does not have ethanol in it. On our trip to Alaska there were a few spots where we could not get premium but either used an octane boost or the tank was already half full of premium so used the regular as a top up. There was one point where I drove 20 k extra to get premium. I get over 300 km to most tankfuls so normally south of 60 getting premium fuel is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #6056
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Anyway, we are getting along as well as can be expected - given the fact that we have very different riding styles and skill sets...My kudos to the Pifflemaster who is learning (as am I) that sometimes we just need to bite our tongues...For the most part, he has done a great job of navigating the mercurial mood-swings of an overtired/overstimulated Whyswoman...and I love him for that
Ha ha been there done that. Good for both of you!
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #6057
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
I filled in the Choke, then ran to Sioux Narrows.. put 3 liters of regular 87 then rode to Falcon Lake for a fill of #1... I was on fumes, took just under 17 liters on a 20 liter tank. The low fuel monitor indicated 68 KMs to empty when I stopped....cut er pretty close.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #6058
skysailor
Rat Rider

3 litres of regular? You Rouge!

Don't you have some way of carrying an extra few litres of fuel on that space shuttle you call a motorcycle? LOL
Lyle

skysailor screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #6059
siren98
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Piffle/Whys

Good to hear everything is going well. Safe travels!

Quote:
the Piffle/Whys Maritime Meandering continues...
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #6060
siren98
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Great idea from MN - Kickstand Kritters

Kickstand Kritters - Great idea but I'd be worried that someone would steal it...
www.kickstandkritters.com