Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #6376
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscool View Post
Thank you so much to all who organized and participated in the ride in drcool's memory last weekend. Dave spoke fondly of his NoFar ride this past May and truly enjoyed meeting all of you. He shared many stories of the trip with us. I look forward to meeing all of you someday as I feel as if I already know you. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for your consideration and compassion. Keep your passion for motorcyling alive. mrscool
The ride was the least we could do. It was a pleasure to meet Dave and share a tall tale or two with him. The driving force behind this ride goes out to Backroader as he kept the drive alive in all of us.

Dave will be missed by all that had the pleasure of meeting him.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #6377
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Rode all over the city today before it sunk in that ALL bike dealers are closed for the weekend. Still - time spent on the road is time well invested.

Dragged that left peg feeler again too, turning left at a light. I'm either getting daring or sloppy, and I'm not sure which.

I should just take tweezers and pluck those remaining chicken strips rather than trying to scrub them off with the road.

Thinking hard about that Victory Cross Country. 1.9% financing isn't something to be dismissed lightly. It'll be higher in the spring. I'd like to take it for another test ride, IN town, this time, just to see how it would handle for my day-to-day riding.

I'm probably being daft, though - Tiger800 with hard bags and a few farkles would do everything I need it to from commuting to touring, be easier to handle in town, has "standard" riding position, cost less to insure, and cost less over all. No cruise control, but the KLR hasn't got it either and I didn't miss the lack of it much.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #6378
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post

Spending the night in Nestor Falls, On.
at the resort/motel I am at, I am a bit out of place as I am;
A-the only one not part of a large group,
B-the only one without a boat and,
C-the only Canadian guest.
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to meet and take advantage of. Ops. I am not supposed to think like that now. Passing the single guy torch to you John. Make me proud.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #6379
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Thank you so much to all who organized and participated in the ride in drcool's memory last weekend. Dave spoke fondly of his NoFar ride this past May and truly enjoyed meeting all of you. He shared many stories of the trip with us. I look forward to meeing all of you someday as I feel as if I already know you. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for your consideration and compassion. Keep your passion for motorcyling alive. mrscool
As jimtoe mentioned it was a pleasure meeting Dave at the NoFar rally in May. Backroader did a fantastic job of organizing the ride and hosting the BBQ afterwards. It was a great day to remember a great guy.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #6380
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Whereabouts...

Hi all you FFs.
I’m in Hay River NWT at the moment, visiting #2 son and wife.
Got here Thursday from BC, after visiting with my Mom in Kelowna for several days. She lapsed into a coma an hour after I saw her on Wednesday morning and died peacefully in her sleep early Thursday morning.

Heading out on a ride towards Fort Simpson (Sambaa Deh Falls) with Jono tomorrow, for a day or two of camping. He on his KLR (Jimtoes old beast), me on the RT. About 270 Km of gravel on the route, and hopefully it won't be a mucky mess. We did Deadhorse last year, but I wasn't on an RT running street tires. (I won't forget to air down. )
Alexandria and Sasha (their dog) will be following up in the car and carrying the camping gear and extra fuel for the bikes.

Whyswomen is stuck working in the north 4\5 days a week since we returned from the east, though hopefully she will be back to three days a week in a couple more weeks.

My most sincere thank you to all who sent their regards about my Mom.
Cheers! Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #6381
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
Rode all over the city today before it sunk in that ALL bike dealers are closed for the weekend. Still - time spent on the road is time well invested.

Dragged that left peg feeler again too, turning left at a light. I'm either getting daring or sloppy, and I'm not sure which.

I should just take tweezers and pluck those remaining chicken strips rather than trying to scrub them off with the road.

Thinking hard about that Victory Cross Country. 1.9% financing isn't something to be dismissed lightly. It'll be higher in the spring. I'd like to take it for another test ride, IN town, this time, just to see how it would handle for my day-to-day riding.

I'm probably being daft, though - Tiger800 with hard bags and a few farkles would do everything I need it to from commuting to touring, be easier to handle in town, has "standard" riding position, cost less to insure, and cost less over all. No cruise control, but the KLR hasn't got it either and I didn't miss the lack of it much.
Mark - you consider a BMW 800 or 1200GS? There's been a few used ones lately on MB Kijiji. Now is a good time to look at AB Kijiji - they have 10+ times the volume we see on MB Kijiji, and a lot more "adventure" bikes too... I've seen some very good deals posted there.

A few examples: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ377268936

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ408135913

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ406303308

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ403881346

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 08:04 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #6382
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,400
Brian, sorry to hear about your mom. At least you spent some time there. Ride safe
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #6383
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,592
Quote:
You are very welcome, Dave warmed up to us Westerners like we were family and hosting a ride was our way saying thanks.

I am planning on attending the EAOR next year, it may be good place to meet up. Who knows, there may be a group of us attending!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #6384
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Backroader did I see you on the HD northbound Lagimodiere at north Perimeter this afternoon?

Anyways: got my my KLR rear end all apart to grease suspension links (they all looked perfect, clean and no wear, not much grease in there though). Will need new rear brake pads sometime this fall. What's the best bet - order from aviciouscycle, or ????
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #6385
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Backroader did I see you on the HD northbound Lagimodiere at north Perimeter this afternoon?

Anyways: got my my KLR rear end all apart to grease suspension links (they all looked perfect, clean and no wear, not much grease in there though). Will need new rear brake pads sometime this fall. What's the best bet - order from aviciouscycle, or ????

What year is your KLR. I have brand new rear and front brake pads that never sold after I sold my 2009 KLR.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #6386
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
What year is your KLR. I have brand new rear and front brake pads that never sold after I sold my 2009 KLR.
I think i need a pair of brake pads for my 09, if Macnoob is not taking it, pm me.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #6387
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Mine's an 05. So back brakes completely different...
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #6388
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,592
[QUOTE=MacNoob;19505202]Backroader did I see you on the HD northbound Lagimodiere at north Perimeter ]

Nope, at home until 18:00 then rode the Honda 125 to the Show N Shine at the Pony on Grant.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #6389
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post

Order from http://www.dualsportplus.com. They helped organize the DRCool events in Ontario after Dave was taken by a deer on the Cabot Trail.
Les and Catharine are seriously good folks. If you don't see what you need on their new website, call. They'll get it if they don't have it.
Cheers, Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #6390
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Mark - you consider a BMW 800 or 1200GS? There's been a few used ones lately on MB Kijiji. Now is a good time to look at AB Kijiji - they have 10+ times the volume we see on MB Kijiji, and a lot more "adventure" bikes too... I've seen some very good deals posted there.

A few examples: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ377268936

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ408135913

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ406303308

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ403881346
Hio

Just got back from the lake, where fun of the machete & chainsaw sort was to be had.

Now I regret not riding a 1200GS when I had the chance, since I thought it was well north of the range of debt that I wished to be in service to, and wasn't going to pay $40 just to warm a seat for half an hour (got to quit second-guessing myself). I don't recall what year it was that they got the final drive reliability thing sorted out - which is one thing that worries me about older used ones. The F800, though, is just plain too short in the reach for me - I had to sit well back on the seat to get comfy on that one. Nice bike, though.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote