Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #6466
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Very nice Tobias. Only concern I saw was when you turned the lights on when finished, the tail lights were as bright as the headlight!
true enough! In person it was brighter than on camera, but I agree. I think I'm going to order two more and mount them on the bottom of the plate. with 4 LEDs shining on the plate I should get good coverage.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #6467
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPickle View Post
true enough! In person it was brighter than on camera, but I agree. I think I'm going to order two more and mount them on the bottom of the plate. with 4 LEDs shining on the plate I should get good coverage.
No worries, the camera's flash when you ride by too fast
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #6468
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
so guys (and gals), i have a question for you all.

does anyone have advice for a seat cushion, be it gel or sheepskin, keep in mind it cant be large as it has to fit on my sports bike. after riding around for 4 hours today, i learned the hard way that my seat is terrible for long distance.
suggestions on brands, types and where to get one are welcome

Thanks
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #6469
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Ugly but functional - i.e. suitable for a KLR

...but likely not what you're looking for. This little gem goes on sale fairly often at Cdn Tire for $9.99 - $15. It's wide, and ugly too, but your a$$ will thank you: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #6470
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
...but likely not what you're looking for. This little gem goes on sale fairly often at Cdn Tire for $9.99 - $15. It's wide, and ugly too, but your a$$ will thank you: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
I bought two of those when they were on sale very cheap. They zip open and you can remove the gel pad. I have TWO gel pads installed in one cover (there is enough room to do so). It makes for a pretty heavy cushion that will raise your seat height quite a bit. Works on my old Goldwing well enough I can ride 5 hours or so before complaining too hard.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #6471
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,772
Back home from our BC trip. Many of the best roads in the US and Canada. Going to the Sun road, around Kootenay Lake, Out to the island and over the twisty road to Tofino, Sea to Sky and Hwy 99/Duffy Lk road. Fabulous scenery great riding and out of 15 days we were only under cloud for about 4-6 hours and 1 hour of rain.

Stats from the GPS
15 days ... 6,751 kilometers in total
total moving time was 83 hours and 52 minutes.
average moving speed was 80.5 kilometers/hour.
overall average speed was 51.4 kilometers/hour.
stopped, for breaks and meals (does not include when we were finished for the day), 47 hours and 30 minutes.

Ride report to follow

Big summer of riding. Trip to Alaska was 14,000 km. My 2010 F800GS now has over 36000 km on it and has not skipped a beat. Time to change the oil and look at putting the BMWs away.

Fall is KLR season!
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #6472
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post

does anyone have advice for a seat cushion, be it gel or sheepskin, keep in mind it cant be large as it has to fit on my sports bike. after riding around for 4 hours today, i learned the hard way that my seat is terrible for long distance.

Thanks
I use an airhawk http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...spx?brandid=61 and Egli sheep skin. http://eglifarm.com/index.php/cPath/...0b9fd99121a5f5

Have done 900k days with that combo
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #6473
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post

Thanks
I swap a sheepskin between the KLR and RT, but I've widened the KLR seat and the RT has a wide seat to start with. Both seats are good for 1700+ days when fitted to my ass. They can sometimes be found at Costco and cut to size, otherwise cost a bit more from other sources.

I've used a gel pad on the KLR and found it too squirmy for technical control. YMMV.
The main thing that has helped for longer days is to get the seat wide enough to support all my butt, not just a couple of pressure points.
Cheers, Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #6474
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Back home from our BC trip. Many of the best roads in the US and Canada. Going to the Sun road, around Kootenay Lake, Out to the island and over the twisty road to Tofino, Sea to Sky and Hwy 99/Duffy Lk road. Fabulous scenery great riding and out of 15 days we were only under cloud for about 4-6 hours and 1 hour of rain.

Fall is KLR season!
Congrats on a successful run, you sure had some great roads!
Cheers, Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #6475
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,742
Sounds like retirement riding is agreeing with you Garth. I have fallen behind you and Brian this season. I may only make the 16000 kms this season. Seems the more bikes I get the less I ride!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #6476
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
They can sometimes be found at Costco and cut to size, otherwise cost a bit more from other sources.
I bought a sheared sheepskin pad at AeroStich in Duluth, after riding around the top of the Great Lakes on my first big ride in 2010. I paid about $65.00 US for it, and found it to be totally useless, as the system they used to affix it to my seat was cumbersome.

Later that same summer I spied a sale on full sized sheepskin matts, unsheared, in a variety of colors. I purchase one for about $34.99, draped it artfully over my seat and backrest (no cutting necessary), affixed it with a bungee cord, and there you have it - the story of how the Wooly Mammoth found her skin.

I love my sheepskin - I wouldn't go on a long trip without it - and at full size, I know that if I needed a makeshift pillow, it would work well if rolled up. Gotta love your mff's (multi-function farkles)...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #6477
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,742
I had a sport bike, FJ600, and every where the sport bike went, Mary's little lamb (skin) went too. Unlike the wooly mammoth, the lamb skin has short thick fur, not sure if you can still find them, I know they still make lambs.......
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6478
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Sounds like retirement riding is agreeing with you Garth. I have fallen behind you and Brian this season. I may only make the 16000 kms this season. Seems the more bikes I get the less I ride!!!
Ha ha, I can see that

Forgot to mention both of our wives made the trip on their F650GS and they loved it. Although some sections were a bit terrifying to them with hairpin 20k switchbacks and narrow passes with sheer unprotected drops they rode like troopers. This is Denise's second ride through the mountains but Cindy's first. My ride report will actually be the blog my wife wrote. I think they are both hooked.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #6479
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
Gotta love your mff's (multi-function farkles)...
Ha ha

That (the multi function farkle) could be a thread unto itself.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #6480
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Back in my youth when all I had was a motorcycle we used to think a 10,000 mile (16k) was a big year so you are not doing too shabby. Actually I can remember that we considered a bike done after 10,000 miles and would trade it. Little did we know that those old Honda bikes would have gone a million miles with the right amount of oil changes and TLC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect