Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #6571
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 659
Hey Marc...Heads up on the Scooters...they have a short life span.. I over heard a mechanic at a dearlership comment about .... 6 or 7 K and they are baked.

My brother has a Yamaha scooter with almost 20,000K and a friend has one with over 30,000K. Both are untouched originals with only the speed restricter removed. Both are still running strong.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #6572
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
Hey Marc...Heads up on the Scooters...they have a short life span.. I over heard a mechanic at a dearlership comment about .... 6 or 7 K and they are baked.

My brother has a Yamaha scooter with almost 20,000K and a friend has one with over 30,000K. Both are untouched originals with only the speed restricter removed. Both are still running strong.
I am about 1100 k shy of rolling over to 50,000k - achieved since I put the Burgie on the road in April of 2010....I anticipate putting her to bed with somewhere around 51-52,000 by the end of the riding season - with 20,000+ kms put on this season alone.... The Wooly Mammoth is going strong, and I am hoping to put another 50,000 on her before I am looking for a new scooter.

The new BMW scooters look pretty sweet, to be sure, but this is the first year of production (if i am not mistaken, they have just been released now) - an earlier version apparently failed abysmally and things had to be re-engineered...I am guessing that by the time the Burgie is ready to be put out to pasture - say another 2-3 years, perhaps the BMW scooters will have all their bugs worked out....

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #6573
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

scooters - redux

My bad...I assumed the discussion about scooters was about maxi-scooters, and so jumped on the thread with a ringing endorsement for the Suzuki Burgman...I stand by the endorsement, but realized that Mark II's mom might be looking at something smaller than I was thinking of....

Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #6574
2whlrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Karen had a 49cc Yammy and had 8500km when she traded it for a 125 scoot. The 49 was still going strong.....as strong as 49cc's can be that is.

As Lee stated Karen's Burgie is a beast, very smooth power.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #6575
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Well, I figure *I'd* certainly burn out a 49cc scooter pretty fast

It's a pity that they don't have a few scooters available for the Class 6 course. When I went through I know there was at least one older lady who was going through just to get into a scooter in the 150cc range, and she ended up on one of those Kawi Eliminators. She passed fine. The point being that they already try to cater to a broad spectrum of what a potential rider sees themselves getting into: cruisers, sport bikes, standards, and now I understand they have some small dual sports. Having a few scooters would be a natural progression for the crowd who have no intention of ever having to deal with a clutch and foot controls.

It's about learning how to ride and pick up basic survival skills, after all. The operational stuff becomes muscle memory with time.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #6576
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
THanks to all for the tire offers. Got a free used one from Jack. Just need to get through the season so, it should be good.
But, if anyone wants to bring another freebe to the tech-day, I might swap it out for one with more life left.
John, are these tires the type that require air pressure exceeding 4 lbs. ??
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #6577
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Bmw c1

Lee - I think the failed BMW scooter you're referring to is the C1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_C1

I saw one up close in Cologne (Koln) Germany... thought it was kind of neat actually. Their new super scooters look amazing! http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/urbanMobility/ http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91244.html
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #6578
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,217
Greetings

From the stone-headed President state. Mark and I arrived in Keystone at 6pm and are just out of the hot tub where there where no hot babes! Looking forward to some excellent riding Saturday and Sunday before Jing and Jack arrive. Keystone is an awesome place! Will take pictures as the adventure unfolds, so far I29 did not warrant any space on my camera card.
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #6579
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
From the stone-headed President state. Mark and I arrived in Keystone at 6pm and are just out of the hot tub where there where no hot babes! Looking forward to some excellent riding Saturday and Sunday before Jing and Jack arrive. Keystone is an awesome place! Will take pictures as the adventure unfolds, so far I29 did not warrant any space on my camera card.
Do you have wifi where you are staying?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #6580
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Tech Day...

I didn't make it out to St Andrews yesterday to check on the garburator situation for tech day, as the battery on the RT was flat.
Some stupid bastard had left a couple of USB devices plugged in for two days.
Of course the extensions I had planned to put on the battery leads so I don't have to pull the plastics to access the terminals aren't installed. Grrr.

Going out this AM (0830) to retorque the head bolts on John Fry's KLR and will check then on garburator situation. If anyone is in the neighborhood, feel free to pop in for a visit.

Cheers, Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #6581
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
, so far I29 did not warrant any space on my camera card.
Never met an interstate that did. Have a great ride. We had plans to be out there around this time but they did not materialize. Take pics and keep a GPS track if you can.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #6582
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Lee - I think the failed BMW scooter you're referring to is the C1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_C1

I saw one up close in Cologne (Koln) Germany... thought it was kind of neat actually. Their new super scooters look amazing! http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/urbanMobility/ http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91244.html
Grant, the guy who sold Brian the RT, is always sending me motorcycling magazines for my perusal after he has finished with them - and he always has them loaded with sticky notes to make sure I read specific articles. He has gotten it into his head that Brian and I should both be riding BMWs - and so flagged several articles on BMWs entries into the maxi-scooter world....Now, as I said, I would expect the bugs to be ironed out by the time I am ready for a new one (another 2-3 years, methinks), and I might consider a BMW if they live up to the hype that is currently surrounding them. Another consideration would be whether they use plastic/nylon pushpins to hold the tupperware on , or something more durablen(I'm thinking of the PiffleMaster here)...

I notice they are pretty much priced to compete with the Burgie and other maxi-scooters, and that the BMW C600 Sport is several pounds lighter than my Burgie...but then, the windshield is only manually adjustable...(you have to go to the C650 GT for the ease of automatic, and therefore available-on-the-fly, windshield adjustment)....

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #6583
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Quote:
Most likely. The Shinko Run-Flat tire is hard to come by.
John, I could probably give you an old Bridgestone...but then you would probably have some problems with your bike's geometry

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #6584
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
THanks to all for the tire offers. Got a free used one from Jack. Just need to get through the season so, it should be good.
But, if anyone wants to bring another freebe to the tech-day, I might swap it out for one with more life left.
I have a couple. Are they for a Klr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #6585
strommergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

Hope you had a great day of riding and don't worry about the "hot babes" not being around the hot tub, your "babe" is at home, riding around on the Tenere, lol! Hahaha!!!!
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
strommergirl is offline   Reply With Quote