Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #7036
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,713
Lee, I saw the Hack and the Wooly Mamoth heading east on Dugald at the Perimeter as I was going northward on the Perimeter enroute to Universal.

I was still a little cool, hope you enjoy the ride.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #7037
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
If this city had a bike rental outfit, they'd be making a lot of money off me these last few weeks!

....except that Ma Motorrad has all my money...

Took my dad down to meet Joe at Canadian - they knew each other back in the 50's, and Joe remembered him, despite the years

Went down to Wildwood to look at shiny things. I see they have the new C650 scooter (the touring one). That's a BIG machine to be carrying the title "scooter"!

While there he got to talking to someone in the parking lot on a Sportster. Now he thinks he might want to find a mid-2000's Sporty for cheap. I know he's all over the map, but you only shop for your first bike once, so it ought to be an adventure ;)

I see my KLR is absent. I hope the new owner treats it right 'n gets it dirty.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #7038
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
I had read that article a few years ago and the following two quotes are what I took away from it...

"Shell Rotella-T Synthetic is available at Wal-Mart for $13 / gallon, so I consider this the motor oil of choice."

Cheers!
They've changed the nomenclature a bit since that article was written.

Rotella T is conventional. T5 is semi synth. T6 is synthetic.

Just got back from the U.S. - Rotella T 15W40 conventional oil is about $13/gal. Rotella T6 5W-40 is more like $22/gal.

Both are great bike oils with JASO ratings. I ran the T6 in my Goldwing the last two years. This year it got T just because I bought a 19L pail. The T 15W40 is actually way cheaper at Walmart here (when they have it for $54) than you can get it in the U.S.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #7039
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post

Who's Royal star is that? I know it's not mine albeit identical.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #7040
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Sorry my mistake!

I see that that is a Venture Royal, not a Tour Delux. It is the same color though.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #7041
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

KLR work

Alrighty then. Finished the valve adjustment. Chickened out on using 245 shims to be at the top end of the clearance range (as any errors might put some valves over the top end) so I went with 250. That left me with .007in intake and .008in exhaust. Perfect. Bike has 26k on it so I don't think they're going to change very fast.

Filled up with gas - 5.1L/100. That's the first full tank since removing the Dynojet and Big Gun exhaust and going back to stock_plus_.22C_mod configuration.

Also this morning drained the fork oil (didn't actually look too bad) and installed Belray 10W @170mm from the top with 12lbs of air.

Then adjusted steering head bearing (way loose, could feel the play in the bearing).

Buttoned it all up and went for a ride this afternoon (65km). Woo hoo! Like a completely different bike with actual suspension. More stable on the highway and less wiggling around in ruts on dirt roads.

Oh yeah and my new Coleman ATV seat cover really does help my tailbone survive.

Positive all around.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #7042
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Watching my weather window carefully. Thinking of heading to PHX in a week or two, storing the bike and flying home. Repeat in reverse the begging of April.
Figure 4-5 days? I'll plan 6. Just wondering how late I can leave it?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #7043
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Went for an afternoon run on the KLX, did 80kms of gravel roads and aside from an uncomfortable seat (mine) all went well.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #7044
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Lee, I saw the Hack and the Wooly Mamoth heading east on Dugald at the Perimeter as I was going northward on the Perimeter enroute to Universal.

I was still a little cool, hope you enjoy the ride.
I certainly did enjoy the ride - and yes, it was cool this morning, for sure...and on the way back - as the sun started to get low in the sky...Poor Angelica was a little chilled...

Saw somewhere between 20 and 25 deer on the roadside, primarily in the stretch between WestHawk and Caddy Lakes...Fortunately, not a one of them threatened to jump into our paths...It was a beautiful afternoon for Man, Women, and Beasts alike....

Many thanks to Daryl and Angelika (sp?) for having me along on their ride...we put about 360 kms (by my count, anyway)...
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #7045
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Went for an afternoon run on the KLX, did 80kms of gravel roads and aside from an uncomfortable seat (mine) all went well.

Wondered how your geriatric ass would do on that 2X4 you call a seat on the KLX! Funny thing, my DR seat doesn't bother me at all.....for at LEAST ten minutes!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #7046
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:

Hey BackRoader, I rode my buddies KLX and that seat is down right nasty. I thought mine was bad. After 200kms on mine, I ache if I sit too much. Can't imagine 200kms on the KLX. I mostly ride standing up, which helps a lot. Don't know if that will work for you since your probably used to sitting on that big HD

Keep up the practice on it. Try some rough slow stuff, practice on that and the rest will be a breeze in Utah! Just watch it though, that KLX is still over 300lbs

By the way, just got kicked in the nuts and my situation went from cheery to blow your head off...not sure what I'm going to do though. PM me where you guys are staying in Utah...might hook up for a ride if...
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #7047
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe you need a Coleman ATV seat cover too? You're welcome to try mine.

Seat Concepts makes a KLX450R (is that what you have?) seat kit:

http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=8776234

They tell me in about 3 more weeks they will have a tall version of the KLR seat kit. Might go for that.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #7048
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Great ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
I certainly did enjoy the ride - and yes, it was cool this morning, for sure...and on the way back - as the sun started to get low in the sky...Poor Angelica was a little chilled...

Saw somewhere between 20 and 25 deer on the roadside, primarily in the stretch between WestHawk and Caddy Lakes...Fortunately, not a one of them threatened to jump into our paths...It was a beautiful afternoon for Man, Women, and Beasts alike....

Many thanks to Daryl and Angelika (sp?) for having me along on their ride...we put about 360 kms (by my count, anyway)...

I'll piggyback off what Lee says... what a great ride. Cool, sure, but nice weather and the winds stayed down until we headed home. It seemed as soon as we left the protection of the bush in the Whiteshell we met a headwind. The poor little KLR spent most of the return trip pinned (again!).

No kidding about the deer we saw - I have never seen so many deer grazing alongside the road as we saw in the West Hawk/Caddy Lake area! Our destination/turnaround point was Toniata on Falcon Lake where we eventually found the HSC lottery dream home (cabin) - although we arrived at a decent time, it was closed! An unimpressed neighbour said they'd taken down all the signs... kind of explains why it was a little harder to find

Big thanks to Lee for her great company on the ride - was fun! No plans firmed up for any kind of group ride tomorrow?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #7049
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Brian - you joining us for that ride? Re the synthetic thing, in one of those links it was said that only a few oils are fully synthetic, and that many oils have some synthetic oil in them!? Sounds like many oil blends are semi-synthetic anyways. I believe in the benefits of full synthetic oil, just not sold on paying so much for it. When it comes to oils, and lubes in general, it's a marketers dream - there will always be people that don't mind paying a premium to get slightly better quality.

OK...here goes my 2 cents on the oil thing. I purchased an '87 Connie with 20k on it many years ago. Checked the valves clearances right away and was mortified to see that the cams had already pitted. Contacted the dealer and was told by the mechanic that those early Connies had bad cams and to keep an eye on them. Was going to sell the bike but decided to run it a bit to see how the cam lobes got worse. I blended Mobil 1 15w 50 (100% synthetic) with Castrol 10w40 M/C oil at a 50/50 ratio. Fast forward 11 years and 100000km with that blend and the cam lobes did not get any worse and the bike ran like new when I sold it.
As a result of that experiment I've been using that blend at various ratios depending on the seasons. In the fall/spring I use 10% Mobile 1 with 90% Castrol. In the heat of summer up to 50%
Everyone's got their own oil story...that's mine
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #7050
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Hey BackRoader, I rode my buddies KLX and that seat is down right nasty. I thought mine was bad. After 200kms on mine, I ache if I sit too much. Can't imagine 200kms on the KLX. I mostly ride standing up, which helps a lot. Don't know if that will work for you since your probably used to sitting on that big HD

Keep up the practice on it. Try some rough slow stuff, practice on that and the rest will be a breeze in Utah! Just watch it though, that KLX is still over 300lbs

By the way, just got kicked in the nuts and my situation went from cheery to blow your head off...not sure what I'm going to do though. PM me where you guys are staying in Utah...might hook up for a ride if...
I did not sit that much at Moab last year... between the all the technical riding and the photos opps... I hope this bike will be fine.

I do like the quickness of the bike, 0 to 100kms is pretty good given I go through all the gears to get there. I'd still be in 2nd on the GS