Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #7486
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Cdn Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
So question... What's a good inexpensive KLR gps? I just want something that shows roads on a decent sized screen. I don't care about them fancy features. I just don't want to take wrong turns. Let me know!
Keep your eyes peeled for deals in the Cdn Tire Flyers. I have a 4.7" Magellan I paid $75 for (a door crasher), and a 4.7" Garmin with free included lifetime updates for $100. Each has their advantages/disadvantages, but I find the Magellan easier to use actually. Have no experience with TomTom. These are automotive GPSs, so you need to keep 'em out of the rain and try not to beat 'em up too bad. I'd recommend one of these: http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/pr...productid=2140 Thinking of buying one myself actually.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #7487
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Keep your eyes peeled for deals in the Cdn Tire Flyers. I have a 4.7" Magellan I paid $75 for (a door crasher), and a 4.7" Garmin with free included lifetime updates for $100. Each has their advantages/disadvantages, but I find the Magellan easier to use actually. Have no experience with TomTom. These are automotive GPSs, so you need to keep 'em out of the rain and try not to beat 'em up too bad. I'd recommend one of these: http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/pr...productid=2140 Thinking of buying one myself actually.
Awsome. Great info there. Thanks!

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #7488
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,773
I use a Garmin Map76 CSX

These are the KLR level quality features. Cheap, takes map chips, runs for 2 days on a couple double AA batteries and completely waterproof (it floats) and a great companion to a map. Has RAM mounts available.

The units are discontinued but can be found on EBay

Stay away from touch screen units as they fail with a glove on.

Quote:
So question... What's a good inexpensive KLR gps? I just want something that shows roads on a decent sized screen. I don't care about them fancy features. I just don't want to take wrong turns.

Let me know!
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #7489
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
So question... What's a good inexpensive KLR gps? I just want something that shows roads on a decent sized screen. I don't care about them fancy features. I just don't want to take wrong turns.

Let me know!
TomTom doesn't hold up for motorcycle use. Period. I've used two, both died.

Magellan is hard to spell, but they are easy to use because they don't have many features. However in my experience they have issues with durability on motorcycles. I've had one and it died. That said, I would try one again.

I currently have a couple of Garmins, (both automotive and motorcycle) and am happy with them, however they are not without their quirks. (Updates are a bitch!)

I would stay away from MAPs as the audio and trackback functions don't work worth a damn. However they do have a built-in failsafe function when the battery gives out, as long as ambient light is high enough to read them.
That said, if a properly wired GPS battery fails, you've got bigger problems...

I would avoid units that don't have Bluetooth or an audio jack. No audio isn't a big deal in the boonies, but it's sure nice to have going through places like Chicago or Montreal the first time in peak traffic. And yes, you will go through them eventually. Also, spoken reminders that a turn is coming up are useful when you get grooving or otherwise distracted.
Good luck. :-)

PS. I've only had touch screen units... and all have worked with gloves.

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 06:25 AM
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #7490
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
PS. I've only had touch screen units... and all have worked with gloves.
Hmmm my garmin refuses to work with my leather gloves, but it is an older one

on the flip side the Garmin 550 is a decent motorcycle unit. They are weather/water proof to a fault and lots of mounting options available. One downside of some of these auto types are that the screen is difficult to see with direct sunlight on them and some form of shading may be needed.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #7491
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Thanks for the info, Brian. I was looking at a TomTom but now I know.

I hope you're still on for saturday morning! I'm excited to do some wrenching

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #7492
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Magellan on sale

In todays Cdn Tire flyer, there is a Magellan 5" Roadmate with free lifetime updates on sale for $100... which is 1/2 regular price! Helluva deal. BTW, the bigger GPS's like this may not fit in the available handlebar pouches. Hint - I used a clear plastic sandwich bag, that I'd kept handy for the purpose, to keep water off/out of the GPS during my last trip. Seemed to work OK. I thought my GPS died during last trip, but it was the charger adaptor. It occurred to me to try the charger leftover from the little 3.5" Magellan that I had stolen, and it worked (back in business). I guess I didn't need to buy that replacement Garmin after all!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7493
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Hi folks cross posting this to both the Winnipeg and Northern Riders pages.

PM me if interested rather than answering this page

I ordered a poster and it came but it seems that we want to get the stretched canvas instead.

It is Rodney White's "Life needs more green lights" in portrait (see picture below). This is a premium quality poster 50x102 cm (approx 20"x40") on heavy bond paper. It lists for $54 and I paid $60 including shipping etc but would sell it for $50 if anyone is interested. I can return it but the shipping is at least $15.

Here is the search URL for it http://www.allposters.ca/gallery.asp...E5B6395B4A44E9

I would bring it up to Winnipeg or Thunder Bay one day in the next couple weeks as I have another trip there that has to be done before Christmas. My loss your gain.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #7494
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
Good God Girl! It's a KLR buy a cheap gps. Do not spend big bucks on fancy features you do not need, like waterproofness. An easy DIY solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80aXEkWqIes

Bike wrenching?!?

Bike wrenching = working on the bike.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7495
gslf
Everything Wheels

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
Got bored on my way back from Montreal.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....e=3&permPage=1
KW 660 from reimer? looks like you had good weather, driving the northern route can be a pain, i'd rather use my bike but that is something for the summer. You coming tomorrow too?
gslf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #7496
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
King's Head

I'm in for lunch. Be there about 11:30.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #7497
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
Hey everyone, haven't even had time to lurk lately but things have finally calmed down a bit. Hopefully it stays calm for a while at least. This year was kind of a wash - I think the farthest I rode this year was out to a tech day. No Lockport runs, no trips around the Perimeter... nothing

But I've had the itch to ride since the afternoon I put the KLR away and (for what it's worth) I'm determined to not let real life get in the way of my riding next year. So... I've dragged out the maps and all my old stuff and am starting to plan trip attempt #2 out to Bella Coola. My wife is either really supportive or is hoping to collect on my life insurance, as she's totally behind me again. I do believe I'll be skipping the FSRs this time, though.

I'm also looking to make Buddy more comfortable, especially in the winter. Someone here built a kick-ass bike shed a year or so ago... for the life of me I can't remember who it was and my search skills on ADV are somewhat lacking. If someone does have a good bike shed plan and is willing to share, let me know...

Can't do lunch tomorrow - while you guys are enjoying the food and conversation, I'll be stuck in a dentist chair.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7498
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
...My wife is either really supportive or is hoping to collect on my life insurance, as she's totally behind me again. .... Someone here built a kick-ass bike shed a year or so ago... for the life of me I can't remember who it was and my search skills on ADV are somewhat lacking. If someone does have a good bike shed plan and is willing to share, let me know...

Can't do lunch tomorrow - while you guys are enjoying the food and conversation, I'll be stuck in a dentist chair.
Damn near snorted wine out my nose over the life insurance gag..

The bike shed I think you're remembering was BackRoader and "Rugbyrootswickers" concoction...
Cheers, Brian
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #7499
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
The master shed builder is Rugbyrtc..... I think builds cabins as well... Lol.

I purchased a shed from Star Building Products. They have some pretty designs and at reasonable prices.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #7500
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslf View Post
What is wrong with a map? Cheap, no fancy stuff and does not break.
I did my east coast run with all sorts of maps folded nicely on my tankbag.
^^ This

There's something about a dog-eared rumpled bit of paper with drawn and scribbled out pencil lines, highlighter, and which becomes impossible to fold back the exact way that it came and eventually simply falls apart (but still works).

...which reminds me that I still need to find a tank bag that I like, with a full sized map pocket (fewer stops required for "updates").
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote