Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7516
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
And yes! this guy Jill or Gill is supposed to come down and look at em on monday. And every other day I get an email asking about them. They go for like over 1000$ w/racks brand new so I'm asking 850. Does that seem fair?
I figure as long as you get enough to get the bags you really want, then it's a good deal for you, right?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #7517
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
I figure as long as you get enough to get the bags you really want, then it's a good deal for you, right?
Agreed. Happy Trail has this deal on where you can get a full pannier kit incl. racks and hardware for like 780$. I'm also getting them with a black finish since they're so cheap to protect the metal a bit (and make my new decals pop hehehehe)

OH! and if you spend more than a certain amount, you get a free 100$ gift certificate. so i basically get a sweet pannier set and 100$ towards a new display or tank bag that I've been wanting.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #7518
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
The master shed builder is Rugbyrtc..... I think builds cabins as well... Lol.

I purchased a shed from Star Building Products. They have some pretty designs and at reasonable prices.
Just took a look at their site... pretty nice stuff. Might give them a call, get an idea for pricing. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #7519
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Touchy. Err, I mean touche'.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #7520
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
I have another question for all of you.

I'd like to switch out my stock KLR rear brake bulb with a cluster LED one which is a million times brighter. I've had one guy tell me that's illegal. is this true?

And I also want to switch out the 4 signal light housings with something less ugly and again, with LEDs to make em brighter.

I have no idea where to look to find out what is/isn't illegal.

Heeeeeeelp!
I got one from either AVC or DSP (I'll try to find the receipt) after my wife followed me home one day in the rain and said she could barely see the stock light. I had already opened a conversation with the WPS about riding in the winter so emailed them back again and asked about the bulb. The response I got was something along the lines of "to be safe, it needs to say DOT on it somewhere". Unfortunately, the one I have isn't DOT certified but I spent the whole afternoon aiming it properly so it wasn't going to blind anyone behind me.

Some of the LED bulbs out there are called "dazzlers" which - while getting the attention of the drivers behind you - will likely also get the attention of police. I just wanted to be seen, not burn the corneas of the people behind me...

I just took a peek at both AVC and DSP and the kit I got isn't there anymore, hmm...

EDIT: It was DSP. But yeah, looks like they don't carry it anymore. It was a big improvement over the stock bulb, though.

SoSlow screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 04:28 PM
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #7521
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
In transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Hey everyone, haven't even had time to lurk lately but things have finally calmed down a bit. Hopefully it stays calm for a while at least. This year was kind of a wash - I think the farthest I rode this year was out to a tech day. No Lockport runs, no trips around the Perimeter... nothing

But I've had the itch to ride since the afternoon I put the KLR away and (for what it's worth) I'm determined to not let real life get in the way of my riding next year. So... I've dragged out the maps and all my old stuff and am starting to plan trip attempt #2 out to Bella Coola. My wife is either really supportive or is hoping to collect on my life insurance, as she's totally behind me again. I do believe I'll be skipping the FSRs this time, though.

I'm also looking to make Buddy more comfortable, especially in the winter. Someone here built a kick-ass bike shed a year or so ago... for the life of me I can't remember who it was and my search skills on ADV are somewhat lacking. If someone does have a good bike shed plan and is willing to share, let me know...

Can't do lunch tomorrow - while you guys are enjoying the food and conversation, I'll be stuck in a dentist chair.
My career is curently in transition and I have no idea what the future holds for me at this point. Once all the dust settles I might be starting up a small shed/deck/fence company. If that happens I'll let you know in case you want to aquire my services.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #7522
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Look at all the crazy blue headlights out there - I think automotive lights are not the highest priority for enforcement!
I always wondered how those blue and bright white lights passed muster. Sure, seeing farther or looking cooler is great, but I wouldn't really like the idea of blinding everyone who's coming at me.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #7523
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
I have another question for all of you.

I'd like to switch out my stock KLR rear brake bulb with a cluster LED one which is a million times brighter. I've had one guy tell me that's illegal. is this true?

And I also want to switch out the 4 signal light housings with something less ugly and again, with LEDs to make em brighter.

I have no idea where to look to find out what is/isn't illegal.

Heeeeeeelp!

I got this one (brake light only). Blinks a few times, then goes solid. It's bright and works well.

http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/klr/klr650.htm

Apparently there is a switch inside to make it solid-only (no blink) if the po-po ever give me a hassle. I've ridden 1.6 seasons with it without an issue.

EDIT: very long thread and the 1-man-show manufacturer here, as well as many happy buyers.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86280

humvee screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 04:41 PM
humvee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #7524
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
I got this one (brake light only). Blinks a few times, then goes solid. It's bright and works well.
Apparently there is a switch inside to make it solid-only (no blink) if the po-po ever give me a hassle. I've ridden 1.6 seasons with it without an issue.]
If you follow a fire truck you'll see the LED brake lights blink a number of times before going solid. They must see that it is a benefit the same as it would be for the add-on LED light for a bike.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #7525
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Hmmm... Unless you smoke along at 80 MPH (130 KPH), that's going to be too far between pee breaks for this boy. Certainly doable on the US interstates, but there'll be hefty fines in most of Canada with those speeds.

Guess I'll have to get a colostomy bag when I ride with you.
I don't understand how 130kph on a perfectly flat, straight, divided highway with clear lines of sight on each side of the highway for sometimes miles, and almost traffic free can be considered anything but a reasonable speed. Oh well, just gives me more reason to find even more less traveled roads I guess, although wish I was able to speed my 100km commute up a bit
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #7526
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Agreed. Happy Trail has this deal on where you can get a full pannier kit incl. racks and hardware for like 780$. I'm also getting them with a black finish since they're so cheap to protect the metal a bit (and make my new decals pop hehehehe)

OH! and if you spend more than a certain amount, you get a free 100$ gift certificate. so i basically get a sweet pannier set and 100$ towards a new display or tank bag that I've been wanting.

When I had my KLR, I had the Happy Trails 7" boxes on the sides and a rather large box on the top. They were are coated black...I really liked them, waterproof and tuff. Dropped the bike on them several times and the boxes and the rack held up. Only thing I might have changed on them would be to get them with the keyed locks instead of having 5 padlocks hanging of them and I might have gone for the lower profile top box. I taped up the locks so they wouldn't mark the boxes.

I later ran with two waterproof bags for tent and such on top of the side boxes instead of piling gear high...seemed to work better
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #7527
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
That is pretty high eh... Yeah I don't think I'm gonna get a top box.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #7528
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
That is pretty high eh... Yeah I don't think I'm gonna get a top box.
Mel, check out Loop Bags, as an option.

Piled high KLRs are pretty tippy. I know, I have been under one and got a good close up of the luggage from the underside !!!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #7529
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
Had a great time at lunch yesterday.

Went to Flo's after to hang out and discuss;
bikes,
girls,
geopolitics and,
the price of Bavarian themed nik-naks.

One new kitchen + one case of Heineken = ability to store bike in house
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #7530
gslf
Everything Wheels

Oddometer: 162
[QUOTE=rugbyrtcwka;20207276]One new kitchen + one case of Heineken = ability to store bike in house [/QUOT
One 10 year old kithen+a lot of cases of beer=ability to store 2 bikes(2 years ago) in house
Hey John what about the publishing rights of the pictures?
gslf is offline   Reply With Quote