Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #7921
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Caa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
This is a weird question.. but where can I get a reflective canadian flag sticker? My new panniers need one before the big trip.
Suspect CAA might even carry such. The stickers Jim Toews linked to, I know I've seen them somewhere locally - maybe Cdn Tire in the automotive section?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #7922
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
This is a weird question.. but where can I get a reflective canadian flag sticker? My new panniers need one before the big trip.

Mel, I bought mine at Canadian Tire, I believe it was in the bicycle section in May or June. But that was a couple of years ago.

They were awesome for us in our UK/Europe trip as they were conversation starters with the overseas bikers.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #7923
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Nice! Thanks for all the replies, guys. I can always count on ADVers to help me out, even with the smallest things.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #7924
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Not sure if they are reflective or not but I remember seeing some fancy Canadian Flag stickers at Cdn Tire, I think that's where I got mine that I had on my previous bike. Can't remember if they were reflective or not.
I'm planning on picking up a couple and putting on my rental bike in Phoenix! Finally found an R1200RT to rent. I was going to rent a Street Glide, but I may change that. Either way, a couple of CDN flags are getting stuck on!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #7925
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Yippee!!!

I am totally chuffed...Piffle and I went to Carter Honda Motorsports (Vancouver ) and I picked up a women's Joe Rocket Alter Ego 11.0 AST jacket in Hi-vis yellow and black at a 40% discount ... Ended up paying $215.00 + HST...yes, it is last season's model, but that is just fine for my purposes ...

Now, if only the snow would melt back in Winnipeg...I am so jealous of allege folks heading south I. The next week or so!!!:ymca:
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #7926
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
I am totally chuffed...Piffle and I went to Carter Honda Motorsports (Vancouver ) and I picked up a women's Joe Rocket Alter Ego 11.0 AST jacket in Hi-vis yellow and black at a 40% discount ... Ended up paying $215.00 + HST...yes, it is last season's model, but that is just fine for my purposes ...

Now, if only the snow would melt back in Winnipeg...I am so jealous of allege folks heading south I. The next week or so!!!:ymca:
Very nice. What are the specs on the jacket? I just got mine in a week ago and it is also an older year model but I love it! Can you send us some pics?

I find that now that I'm in the market for motorcycle gear, I'm more curious to see what other people have or what they're getting.

Also, on a side note... I managed to get some very very cheap racks online that are as good or better than the happy trail ones for the '07 and under KLR. If anyone is interested, let me know. I also have a welder in the city working on making me some custom panniers with all the features I want for (again) less than happy trail panniers would cost. It seems the only thing I DID buy from H-T was the quick-release pannier hardwear which I found to be totally worth it.

And on a side-SIDE note, John Fry came by our house today to drop off two fantastic reflective Canadian flag decals and a nice german motorcycle catalog so thank you, John.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #7927
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:

Lee, you have earned it. All the hard work and dedication is paying off. I look forward to seeing that bright coloured jacket leading an ADV run this spring!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #7928
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
BackRoader, how's the trip going? Hit any of those Tornados on the way down Hope your having fun!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #7929
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Update on the adventure... We are in Las Cruces New Mexico tonite. Managed to visit the Roswell Alien museum today... Been there done that now!

Heading to Phoenix tomorrow, and yes we are in scold snap!!! Only going to 50f tomorrow. Still have to wear a longsleeve shirt.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #7930
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
I picked up a women's Joe Rocket Alter Ego 11.0 AST jacket in Hi-vis yellow and black
Yellow and black? Will you look like a bumblebee on a Burgie? Now you need a high vis helmet to go with that!

I'm already starting to look forwards to spring... first full summer with the KLR - I can see lots of exploring going on.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #7931
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
BackRoader, how's the trip going? Hit any of those Tornados on the way down Hope your having fun!
We ran into one full day of fog, then another day of pouring rain, so I have no idea of what the country side looked like between Des Moines and Oklahoma.
Nice day yesterday, after we passed through the remains of a snow storm around Amarillo Tx. Crossed over a couple of small mountain ranges to Las Cruces. Nice place, found a great hotel, a Ramada Inn, with Mexican architechture, kind of a courtyard with a pool and bar/restaurant combined.
Will post some photos later.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #7932
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Very nice. What are the specs on the jacket? I just got mine in a week ago and it is also an older year model but I love it! Can you send us some pics?

I find that now that I'm in the market for motorcycle gear, I'm more curious to see what other people have or what they're getting.
Mel, I won't send pictures of me wearing it, but here is a link to the specs on the jacket itself (and a picture of it all put together):

http://www.gvps.ca/Joe-Rocket-ALTER-...uctId=17187774

What the write up doesn't tell you is that this jacket has 4 different options for wearing it - fully assembled; with the outer shell removed to leave you with a fully armoured mesh jacket; and with/without waterproof/windproof and thermal linings...For the past 3 seasons, I have been wearing a men's version of the same jacket - which, at the size I required, was only available in black...I loved the design though, and am delighted to be able to fit a women's jacket now that I have dropped 107 lbs...(there's still more to go, but I will get there in the next year). I am even more delighted to be able to look like a hi-viz bumblebee....As my grand-daughter used to say "It is all G" - just as long as I don't looking like a Bumbling B on a Burgie

MacNoob, after you, John Fry and I went to Kenora last season, I went out and bought a hi-viz HJC helmet - because I was so impressed by how far away I could see John when I was riding behind him. It was perfect for the Piffle/Whys Failed Electronics Tour 2012 - so that Brian could see me at a distance no matter how far back I was riding in foggy ol' Newfoundland. So fear not - my helmet and my new jacket are fully synced...

Thanks for your kind words, Greg...and thanks for noticing...It is true - I have been working hard at shedding the extra poundage, and even if I end up having to buy a new jacket again next year, that is okay, ' cause I have definitely earned the right to do so...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #7933
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Is it too early to be talking about planning a tech day still?
I am getting so excited to see all of you again and spend another 12 hours just working on bikes and learning from the best. And of course, getting SUPER anxious to get back on the road.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #7934
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Lee, I bought my old Joe Rocket jacket in 2001. It's dated, but no reason to update. The thing has done everything I've asked of it. They're well put together.
Greg, I'll be blowing into PHX next Saturday night. I may switch the Street Glide rental to a 1200RT. We'll see. Hope to break bread with you guys.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #7935
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lee, I bought my old Joe Rocket jacket in 2001. It's dated, but no reason to update. The thing has done everything I've asked of it. They're well put together.
Greg, I'll be blowing into PHX next Saturday night. I may switch the Street Glide rental to a 1200RT. We'll see. Hope to break bread with you guys.
Lyle
The weather is improving here, going to be in the mid twenties everyday.
Going to check out some bike rentals next week. Not in any big rush, got a month to scope things out.