Oddometer: 4,591
Rondex, yup, good choice!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #7997
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
anyone have an a favorite motorcycle jacket that they use everyday but it's less than waterproof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IfUaKXasdD4

this stuff is insane, I'm unsure if it will change the color of material, it looks like it turns the boot at the end white, but still an awesome product!
For those with small children, you could coat your entire child with it! Or pets. As long as the manufacturer recommends it, of course....

Or spray your entire bike/car and never wash it again.

But...

$$$$$$$!!!!

MacNoob screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:14 PM
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #7998
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 650
Had a nice time Saturday afternoon at the convention center Powersports show hanging out with GWN and meeting old friends there. Too bad Jing got lost...

Wow the new 2013 yellow KLR is a beaut!

Another fun ride on the ice today in StMalo...temps were great. Next ride will be in Petersfield on Feb18 for anyone that is still thinkiing about trying it out. We'll be on a brand new track so that means it will be super smoooooth.

Also the planned Texas ride is being derailed....now IF it happens I will be leaving no sooner than Feb24 and back around March 5 or so. PM me if it might work for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #7999
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Snowcrusher 100!

If anyone here is looking for something REALLY different this weekend, come down to Letellier on Saturday.
We're holding a 100 mile race for pre '73 snowmobiles. They are all 1 lungers and mostly stock. The track is 4 miles long with lots of curves. Very high attrition rate as these things never lasted long when they were new! Should be 25 - 30 machines from as far away as Sask., ND and Minn.
I'll be co-driving a '72 Polaris Colt (#31) and will need much help getting off the thing after 50 miles
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #8000
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraisrider View Post
If anyone here is looking for something REALLY different this weekend, come down to Letellier on Saturday.
We're holding a 100 mile race for pre '73 snowmobiles. They are all 1 lungers and mostly stock. The track is 4 miles long with lots of curves. Very high attrition rate as these things never lasted long when they were new! Should be 25 - 30 machines from as far away as Sask., ND and Minn.
I'll be co-driving a '72 Polaris Colt (#31) and will need much help getting off the thing after 50 miles
Ian, the Colt was a great sled, my friends dad had one and we beat the crap out of it... Just kept on going and going, long before the enigizer bunny
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8001
Mark96
Way Out There!

Quote:
Right on! Thanks for the heads up on that Ian.

What time does it start on Saturday? Pretty good chance I'll come out for that. It will bring back some great early race memories for me.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #8002
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Had a nice time Saturday afternoon at the convention center Powersports show hanging out with GWN and meeting old friends there. Too bad Jing got lost...
Sorry Mark and GWN, didn't think it will take me that long that day and by the time I'm done, it's already dinner time for new year celebration. Hope you had a good time at the show and I'm sure we will have another get together before snow melt.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #8003
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post

So I have decided to remake my seat. I'm going to cut out where I want to reshape it and add different foam and have it recovered. Probably gonna do this next week when things aren't as hectic...

Anybody have any experience doing this? what materials should I get (what specific brands or makes)? Here is my draft list of things...

- High-quality foam
- low quality foam
- spray-on foam glue
- waterproof layer (not sure what yet)
- top layer for cover (either leather or marine vinyl) 2 colors

I want to make it lower and more 'dished' as opposed to tall and narrow. Kind of like a seargent seat!
Mel, here's a seat mod thread I found.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447496
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #8004
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,187
Don't like this time of year!

Lappeman was saying that he could not get a decent sled ride in yesterday. These are the dog days of winter for me. Really tired of trying to pretend that winter is awesome, even with snowmobiles. D and I went out for a zip on the MXZ and the mellow Polaris Indy Sunday afternoon, but my enthusiasm for riding snowmobiles is about 20% of the level of motorcycle riding. We have alot of snow out our way, but I am sick of the grey cloudy days! I want to feel some warm weather thawing temps!

Speaking of sleds...I know there are many of you riders with knowledge of older snowmobiles. Our 1999 MXZ 670 cc is rocket, but the throttle gives Deborah a sore hand. It is not easy working that heavy carb cables for her, or me for that matter! Any suggestions? You guys seem to know about sleds dating back to the 1970s, so any suggestions for us?

C:\Users\Owner\Videos\Pictures\2010-...s 2010 159.JPG
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #8005
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Sorry Mark and GWN, didn't think it will take me that long that day and by the time I'm done, it's already dinner time for new year celebration. Hope you had a good time at the show and I'm sure we will have another get together before snow melt.

The show wasn't very good to be honest, but it was great to meet and catch up with a few guys. Couldn't believe how poorly represented some brands and models were. Kudos to those dealerships that did come out. See you again soon... spring (and riding season) is almost hear - I can smell it
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #8006
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Plus 10, sitting by the pool, no one here, lol, apparently it's too cold. I should have brought my ... Definitely going to next year.

There may be some ice on the water,
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #8007
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Lappeman was saying that he could not get a decent sled ride in yesterday. These are the dog days of winter for me. Really tired of trying to pretend that winter is awesome, even with snowmobiles. D and I went out for a zip on the MXZ and the mellow Polaris Indy Sunday afternoon, but my enthusiasm for riding snowmobiles is about 20% of the level of motorcycle riding. We have alot of snow out our way, but I am sick of the grey cloudy days! I want to feel some warm weather thawing temps!

Speaking of sleds...I know there are many of you riders with knowledge of older snowmobiles. Our 1999 MXZ 670 cc is rocket, but the throttle gives Deborah a sore hand. It is not easy working that heavy carb cables for her, or me for that matter! Any suggestions? You guys seem to know about sleds dating back to the 1970s, so any suggestions for us?

The Skidoos of that generation (I had a 670 once) use a 2 stage throttle system. Easy pull till 40-50mph then pull harder for the rest. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do assuming cables, etc. are ok. I can't remember for sure but wonder if the rotary intake valves or RAVE valves are cable driven and connected to the throttle. The S chassis Skidoos were great sleds, my favorite was an '03 Renegade 800. Never could get happy with the newer models after that one!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #8008
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

The Snowcrusher starts at noon. It's at a farm on the SW side of the #75 and #201 intersection, across the road from the town of Letellier.
There will be food and refreshments and a hill to stand on to see the race.

Greg, some of those old sleds were bullet proof and we still destroyed them
Others were just junk including the Skiwhiz 300 that I had!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #8009
Mark96
Way Out There!

Quote:
The Snowcrusher starts at noon. It's at a farm on the SW side of the #75 and #201 intersection, across the road from the town of Letellier.
There will be food and refreshments and a hill to stand on to see the race.

Greg, some of those old sleds were bullet proof and we still destroyed them
Others were just junk including the Skiwhiz 300 that I had!
Thanks Ian

I agree, there were a lot of junky sleds in that early era. But shortly after they started to improve really fast.

Here is the only pic I have of my '74 Sno-Jet Thunder Jet 340 that I raced back in the day. Yamaha powered free air motor. It was a really competitive sled in its first year of production but got overshadowed quickly as race sled technology was improving so quickly. Moto-Ski Sonic, Mercury Sno Twister, and the new Arctic Cats were hard to beat as they upped the horsepower war.

I know...funny hair

This pic I found online of a '74 Thunder Jet (not mine)

Mark96 screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 09:39 AM
Mark96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #8010
Mark96
Way Out There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post

Hey Carl, as Ian said many sleds came with the 2 stage throttle assembly. If yours doesn't have one then that would be a good mod.

Carefully check the cables. They may have developed a crack in the outer casing that would let some moisture in and then eventually they would rust creating a stiff throttle pull. As well, check that the cables are routed properly and that they are lubed using a cable lubing tool with a good light lubricant. My fav is LPS 1 for cables. If you don't have the tool, you can borrow mine next time you're in the city.