Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #8011
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
If my bike wasn't in pieces, I think I would be riding it right now. It's warming up!

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #8012
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Found a place!!!

Found a place to live. My stuff got packed up today and movers are coming tomorrow. Flying back to Calgary on Friday and begin training on Monday. Will be nice to get back into a routine. It's been a very intense couple of months.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #8013
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Where's the Piffle?

A brief update on the PiffleMaster...

As I am typing this message, he is closing in on Los Angeles!!! He has been downright ebullient about his riding experiences over the previous two days - he has been hugging the coastline down the length of California and has, in his own words, done some of the best riding he has EVER experienced...Lots of time leaning almost vertical into twisties, getting a thorough workout in the process.

I am so jealous...yet at the same time, I am absolutely delighted to see him aglow with healthy high energy when I talk with him on FaceTime... I have finally decided to apply for a US waiver so I can do one of those winter rides next year...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #8014
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Found a place to live. My stuff got packed up today and movers are coming tomorrow. Flying back to Calgary on Friday and begin training on Monday. Will be nice to get back into a routine. It's been a very intense couple of months.
awesome! hope you enjoy your new diggs! hope to be out there in the next couple months as well. keep checking this thread and we will get in touch!

also:

theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #8015
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
...dang reply button is missing. I have to guess where the hot spot on the page is...

I just ordered one of these http://www.omni-cruise.com/

It looks like a decent device, and the maker has a 12% discount for ADVers if you use coupon code ADVLK44

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

Otherwise I managed to spend far more money than I thought I would on a VERY few farkles, consisting of cylinder head guards, potentiometer guard, a tyre plugger, and a big mofo tank bag (they call it The Elephant - LOL). I'm glad there's a sale on at dualsportplus...

I guess you are assumed to be a banker if you ride a beemer (whereas Harley riders are merely expected to have a large line of credit or a second mortgage )

Still, unless I end up needing a better windscreen or bar risers, I think I will be set for the season.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #8016
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 711
Impressed with DualSport Plus.

Great deals on tires and very quick delivery. Ordered some KLR stuff Thursday afternoon, delivered Monday afteroon

Hunting around for a Honda ST1300 to add to the stable (preferably an '05 cuz i like the red color that year and it's in my price range). Been checking Kijiji in Canada, and Cycle Trader, and Craigslist in the US. Any leads appreciated......
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #8017
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
...dang reply button is missing. I have to guess where the hot spot on the page is...

It looks like a decent device, and the maker has a 12% discount for ADVers if you use coupon code ADVLK44

Otherwise I managed to spend far more money than I thought I would on a VERY few farkles, consisting of cylinder head guards, potentiometer guard, a tyre plugger, and a big mofo tank bag (they call it The Elephant - LOL). I'm glad there's a sale on at dualsportplus...

I guess you are assumed to be a banker if you ride a beemer (whereas Harley riders are merely expected to have a large line of credit or a second mortgage )

Still, unless I end up needing a better windscreen or bar risers, I think I will be set for the season.

That looks like an awsome device! I've been looking for a good cruise control tool that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I've also been farkle-ing out my bike. I just got new racks from www.dirtracks.com, quick release pannier hardware from happy trails, new riding pants, jacket, helmet, and just bought this doodad ---> http://www.buyijet.com/top-products/...ite-black.html

You can mount it to your handle bars and lets you change your songs, play/pause and +/- volume wirelessly.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #8018
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
Bought a similar device to use on our BMWs. Got them at Aerostitch for $15 on a special. They work great allowing you to stretch your right arm etc. and the take a bit of a load off of the throttle after a long day.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #8019
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Congrats - that must be a load off your mind!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #8020
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
A brief update on the PiffleMaster...

As I am typing this message, he is closing in on Los Angeles!!! He has been downright ebullient about his riding experiences over the previous two days - he has been hugging the coastline down the length of California and has, in his own words, done some of the best riding he has EVER experienced...Lots of time leaning almost vertical into twisties, getting a thorough workout in the process.

I am so jealous...yet at the same time, I am absolutely delighted to see him aglow with healthy high energy when I talk with him on FaceTime... I have finally decided to apply for a US waiver so I can do one of those winter rides next year...
I always like it when I read something where in my mind's eye I can see the person grinning. Good to hear he's enjoying some great riding! Good luck with the paperwork!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #8021
SoSlow
Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
If my bike wasn't in pieces, I think I would be riding it right now. It's warming up!
No kidding... if it weren't for the ice/slush on my street and the roads/lots at work, I'd be out riding. I suppose the downside of riding at this time of year is you'd practically be able to hear the salt eating away at the bike whenever you stopped.

Hey, has anyone tried one of those anticorrosion sprays?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #8022
SoSlow
Having fun

Summer Trip

My plans for a (hopefully) triumphant return to BC this summer are coming together quite nicely. I'm hoping to meet up with BC Brian again and if all goes well do some riding with him. Maybe take a quick detour to Alaska...

Going to skip the FSRs this time and stick to (mostly) pavement. Even after a year, I still get the heebie-jeebies whenever I'm riding in sand or on dirt roads.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #8023
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Salt corrosion

13 months ago I'd just finished hanging my sidecar on my Goldwing and was dieing to try it out. We had a nice few days of warm weather that early January and took it out on 3 seperate occasions... interesting riding thru the slush and snow. Come spring, I was shocked to see how badly pitted the bare aluminum front wheel was - I actually had to sand the pitting away with fine sandpaper prior to polishing! Not gonna do that again
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #8024
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 711
Just mounted and balanced a new front TKC80 Continental on the KLR. Kinda choked that Continental does not put a spot of paint for balancing. Had to mount it 3 different times in order to get it to a reasonable amount of balance weight. Ended up with 1.5 oz worth of weight to get it perfect. Seems like every other manufacturer puts a balance mark on their tires. Really like these fronts but jeez that was a pain....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #8025
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Just mounted and balanced a new front TKC80 Continental on the KLR. Kinda choked that Continental does not put a spot of paint for balancing. Had to mount it 3 different times in order to get it to a reasonable amount of balance weight. Ended up with 1.5 oz worth of weight to get it perfect. Seems like every other manufacturer puts a balance mark on their tires. Really like these fronts but jeez that was a pain....
Some people have all the fun.

I was stuck in the hot tub!!!! Nothing to balance but a wine glass.