Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #9076
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
Is anyone going out for a ride later today?
Ilsa the she-wolf (Mrs GWN) has a rare day off... so I probably should be spending it with her, but there may be a plan percolating for a few of us getting together for a ride later. I might be up for a spin in the country somewhere.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #9077
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
At noon it was still only -1... and Env Can now shows no signs of heat for the next week (after posting teasers of +9 on Wednesday).

There was a big crowd of scooterists at Wpg Suzuki this AM.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #9078
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
DR is in WSL in Kenora for a front brake job. Front brake does nothing on that bike. Never did. The "guy" is also going to re-torque my head bolts, seriously lube my side stand and clean my chain! Total will be less than the GMC costs to round trip to the 'peg. I'm going to start using these guys. Nice to have a bike mechanic in Kenora. Even one who rides a KTM!
BTW....sun is shining here! But, it's COLD!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #9079
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by d251man View Post
A friend of mine is down in Moab right now. Lucky guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZdV...em-uploademail
I get all panicky just looking at that. I might consider climbing that on foot. No way on a bike.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #9080
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone up for a (chilly) ride later?

... maybe head out in the country around 2:30? Was thinking of Headingly - Rosser - Gross Isle - Warren - Stonewall & back to the city. If we're up to it (i.e. freezing masochists) we could extend that to Oak Hammock Marsh, Lockport & back to the city along River Road. Anyone up for that... maybe meeting at Headingly Kawi dealer at 2:30?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #9081
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
... maybe head out in the country around 2:30? Was thinking of Headingly - Rosser - Gross Isle - Warren - Stonewall & back to the city. If we're up to it (i.e. freezing masochists) we could extend that to Oak Hammock Marsh, Lockport & back to the city along River Road. Anyone up for that... maybe meeting at Headingly Kawi dealer at 2:30?
I can do that...I haven't got cold weather gear yet, but I will start out with you, anyway, and see what happens...it has shipped, and cleared customs 2 days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #9082
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Right on... anyone else?

Right on... anyone else? Just came in from prepping the bike (oil top-up, check the tire pressures, oil the chain...) - it's very nice out. Lee - that way I've got planned out includes about 10 or 12 km of gravel, one 5 mile section I haven't ever ridden on. It's likely OK, but if it's sketchy looking I'll not drag you thru there unless you're game.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #9083
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,744
Rode around for an hour and found it OK, though I had the heat turned on.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #9084
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Turns out neither of us were freezing masochists...we met at Headingley, rode out to Rosser, then Marquette and then back towards the city via 26 - I was getting too cold (especially my hands, which are quite sensitive to cold) - still waiting for my warmandsafe gear to arrive...probably in time for next weekend's chilly outing...LOL...

Thanks GWN - it was good to get out there...
Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #9085
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Was nice ride... Thnx for coming along!

Was nice ride... Thnx for coming along! Now I know what Marquette looks like (not much!). Glad we got the ride in - just watched the weather forecast... snow expected again! Will it ever end ?

Edit - just remembered to check odo as I had a suspicion a milestone was passed on todays 100km ride... have already done over 1000 kms of (bloody cold) riding this year! Made possible by the makers of Hanes long johns and Gerbing heated gear.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 05:49 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #9086
Emerald Bull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Riding Gear

Does anyone know where to get riding gear in or around the city ?
Specifically looking for black leather gauntlet gloves.

Thanks,
Rob
Emerald Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #9087
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

[QUOTE=Emerald Bull;21232402]Does anyone know where to get riding gear in or around the city ?

Thanks,

I got my black leather gauntlet gloves at Headingley Sports...last year...
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #9088
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Bull View Post
Does anyone know where to get riding gear in or around the city ?

Thanks,
Rob
I have two pairs I've been looking to sell cheap. PM me if interested. They are size large to extra largeish.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #9089
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Karen and I finally got out for our first ride of the year. Got all the work done on the KLR and Karen had her first ride on her new V-Strom. She did great having not been on a clutch bike for about 4years.
Was nice to get riding again.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #9090
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Gauntlets? Headingley and Wildwood both have the usual makes and the best selection that I've seen.

I made it out today by 3:30, but I guess I missed you guys. I even rode into Beaudry Park this time - just in case!

In any event it was too damn cold for me to do much at higher speed. I'd already been outside all morning at the rifle range and it was just draining the heat out of me too quick.

I wore the Gaiters, though, remembering how my pants ride up and give me a draft sometimes. Kept my shins nice and warm! A fleece under the armour helped the chest, so right now the main cold spots would be thighs, back of neck and backs of hands/fingers. Havn't got long johns. I could probably wear sweats over pants under overpants.

Right now I feel like the illegitimate lovechild of Darth Vader and the Michelin Man when I'm dressed...

And I found out that the GS can accelerate quickly to stupid speeds in second and then third gears... stupid to me anyway. I think I'm at the point in break in where I can do short bursts at 7000rpm.....very short, anyway. We're both very content to keep it under 4k though. Very much content...yes...
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote