Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #9946
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvegas View Post
Hey guys! My dad and i are starting our bike trip soon july 26th heading from Thompson mb, down to Deals gap then up to newfoundland, i can't wait! anyone else planning a ride down to Deals this summer? anyone have good paved road options besides just taking the most direct route south? My dad is on his Goldwing so we'll probly be staying close to the tarmac. we want to camp when the weather's nice to so any input from fellow inmates would be apreciated.
Want to ride down there in the worst way. Not specifically Deals gap but the whole Blue Ridge parkway and Smokey Mountains area. Will do it in the fall to escape the heat and humidity and family RV crowd.
Some pretty bland country between you and there but if you do a little research and are open to some side roads etc I am sure you can come up with a great route.
Here are a couple of links for road planning
Best roads in New England http://www.newenglandriders.org/Best...NewEngland.htm
Motorcycle Roads - http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ great for road planning and you can download gps files etc.
FYI Just read yesterday that a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed due to slumping. If that was in your plans you may need to have a detour.
Here is the post
A 20-mile stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina might be closed for months due to a slope failure beneath the roadbed. The parkway will be closed between mileposts 355 and 375, perhaps through the end of the summer. A detour will be established near Mount Mitchell State Park that will direct travelers to Asheville.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 05:43 AM
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #9947
on-off
Six String Slinger

Oddometer: 242
fellow riders

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused.....I hear from a fellow rider today about a funeral on Friday for Jared from Custom One Cycle in Selkirk. Now as I am reading the forum, it has been mentioned that a fellow from Capital Motorsport has passed and his funeral is on Friday. Is this just coincidence or has there been two accidents?

Terrible and tragic either way.

Ride safe brothers and sisters!

on-off
Yami 05 660r Raptor quad
Yami 09 Blacked Out 650 Custom
on-off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #9948
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by on-off View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused.....I hear from a fellow rider today about a funeral on Friday for Jared from Custom One Cycle in Selkirk. Now as I am reading the forum, it has been mentioned that a fellow from Capital Motorsport has passed and his funeral is on Friday. Is this just coincidence or has there been two accidents?

Terrible and tragic either way.

Ride safe brothers and sisters!

on-off
7 dead in moto accidents this weekend. I didn't know anyone in the accidents this past weekend, but "Jared" is identified in this facebook page as passing on Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/ourmotorcycleangels

...and browsing the obits...yes, a worker at Capitol also died on the weekend.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #9949
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Oddometer: 1,192
I know it has been a tragic weekend for the motorcycle community in MB, hopefully some pictures from our East Coast trip will bring some uplifting thoughts to you.. Here we have just crossed confederation bridge to PEI.
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #9950
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Passed this guy wringing the throttle on his moped going about 70 kph, everyone else zooming around him!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #9951
calan818
All squint eyed&confused

Just to make sure we did not get lost, I used 2 GPS devices! Spending the night in Summerside PEI, having a blast with my wife!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #9952
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Just to make sure we did not get lost, I used 2 GPS devices! Spending the night in Summerside PEI, having a blast with my wife!
High tech GPS mount Great pics, have a safe journey also!!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #9953
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,139
Seat cushion...

Who uses a seat cushion and what type? I have a flat corbin but I'm looking for a little more padding. Can't seem to find anything around the TBay area...no surprise there. Had an Alaskan sheep pad on my '09 before but wasn't anything special. Anyone have any experience with the ATV padded covers or I also heard that those beaded seat covers are good in the rain also?

Any info is appreciated...
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #9954
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Who uses a seat cushion and what type? I have a flat corbin but I'm looking for a little more padding. Can't seem to find anything around the TBay area...no surprise there. Had an Alaskan sheep pad on my '09 before but wasn't anything special. Anyone have any experience with the ATV padded covers or I also heard that those beaded seat covers are good in the rain also?

I built one out of one of those car seat gel pads they sell for under $10 at CTC occasionally. Just cut the gel portion to fit. Use that and an Egli sheep skin. Sewed an elastic strap that I pull over the "horn" of the seat to hold them

Good for a couple hours at a time

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 07:14 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #9955
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Who uses a seat cushion and what type?
I have a few....

The $40 ($10 when they go on sale) Canadian Tire sort. I actually put two pads in the cover to make a 2" thick gel-like pad. Good on the Goldwing but most bikes would need it cut down some. Heavy.

The $20 Walmart-Coleman-Stearns ATV seat cover. Used it a little on the KLR before I put the Seat Concepts seat on it. Took the edge off the pain.

Some kind of generic gel pad. My wife used that on the Goldwing too.

A small sheepskin from Costco (about $35). Covered both seats on the Wing neatly.

The hot ticket on the Wing was the double gel for me, the generic gel for my wife, sheepskin on top.

Drop by and test out any combination you like....
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #9956
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Great pics and nice bike!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #9957
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 883
Quote:

I have a hacked-up chunk of sheepskin to make the KLR seat more comfortable, it really surprised me how much of a difference it made by itself. I don't think it'd help something like a sore tailbone or legs going to sleep but it really helped me with butt muscle burn and is really nice on a hot day...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #9958
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 654
Quote:

Haven't used a seat cushion for the last 15 or 20 years or so but back in the Harley days I did use a cheap sheepskin I picked up in Sturgis and I remember it making a huge difference.

I guess now I have so many other aches and pains that a little pain in the ass is a great diversion
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #9959
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
She's Away...

After several false starts (in typical Lee fashion) Whyswoman finally got underway at 0730 today.

Note: the following took place outside the apartment in the rain over the course of an hour...
- First casualty, missing IPhone. Wasn't physically located after bike was loaded, so bike was unloaded and searched. Still missing.
However, it was still linking to the Sena and playing music, so an executive decision was made to locate it at the next stop.
- First casualty part two, topbox lock tumbler came out in Lee's hand and wouldn't re-insert. Gloves thrown across sidewalk in frustration. I finessed the lock back together and suggested she take gentle pains when using it in future. Bike re-loaded.
- Second frustration - Bike keys now missing. Bike unloaded, contents searched, still missing. Eventually located in apartment where she had put them down while looking for IPhone. Bike reloaded.

And she's away! Let the adventure begin! Good luck Lee!

Cheers!
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #9960
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
After several false starts (in typical Lee fashion) Whyswoman finally got underway at 0730 today.

Note: the following took place outside the apartment in the rain over the course of an hour...
- First casualty, missing IPhone. Wasn't physically located after bike was loaded, so bike was unloaded and searched. Still missing.
However, it was still linking to the Sena and playing music, so an executive decision was made to locate it at the next stop.
- First casualty part two, topbox lock tumbler came out in Lee's hand and wouldn't re-insert. Gloves thrown across sidewalk in frustration. I finessed the lock back together and suggested she take gentle pains when using it in future. Bike re-loaded.
- Second frustration - Bike keys now missing. Bike unloaded, contents searched, still missing. Eventually located in apartment where she had put them down while looking for IPhone. Bike reloaded.

And she's away! Let the adventure begin! Good luck Lee!

Cheers!
Ha ha that is about how my trips go. If I only come back to the house once I think for the next hour that i must have forgot something.

One of the ways I remember my phone is to have it always playing music through the Sena. That is one of my pre-go checks is that there is sound coming from the phone.

No rain here in Dryden yet but looking like it is coming. .