Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #10561
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
mackinaw was 'interesting' as part of the paved lane was closed for repair.... Had to use the metal grate partway. Glad I had new tires on. Big freighter went under the bridge just as we passed over.
I think I'd be scared shitless going over there... why I asked. Hope you guys are having a great trip.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #10562
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,574
Went over the bridge in a car.... Shitless came to mind as I looked down through the grates... Rain would have pushed the thrill over the top... especially on a bike...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #10563
BackRoader
Heading There Next

2whlrder and the Mrs. are enroute to the East Coast..... updates and photos would be nice ... hint ..hint
Old 09-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #10564
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
I think I'd be scared shitless going over there... why I asked. Hope you guys are having a great trip.

Ya The Mac bridge is always an experience. I think it's always under construction and they put up those barricades so bikes have to run across the grating. It's even more of a treat running knobbies in the rain.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #10565
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Went over the bridge in a car.... Shitless came to mind as I looked down through the grates... Rain would have pushed the thrill over the top... especially on a bike...

I remember the experience well - which happened on my first big ride with Brian - when we did the Great Lakes loop in 2010...Squirrelly is how it felt to me on the Burgie...I white-knuckled it over that grating!!!

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #10566
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
I would LOVE to launch you and your Kayak in Pine Bay on Superior...so spooky cool, it hurts! (Yes, I have other interests that may not be motorcycle based)

And yes, I have lived on both Lake Winnipeg, and Superior. There is NO comparison!
I would love to launch out on that lake too, have no doubt about that, my friend...and some day, I likely will.

In the meantime, I live in Manitoba, and rather than whine about how boring the landscape is here (which I do NOT believe is true), I will continue to delight in the subtle beauty of an autumn day on the prairies. I am alive, I am able-bodied, and I am a Manitoban....and there is nothing wrong with that!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon, Ron...in the meantime, enjoy your life wherever you are living in the moment...it is far too short to waste pining for some other place to be...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #10567
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:

Mackinaw Bridge? Shit mate, I flew a DC3 UNDER that bridge.....nothing to it. LOL! Seriously.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #10568
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
I would love to launch out on that lake too, have no doubt about that, my friend...and some day, I likely will.

In the meantime, I live in Manitoba, and rather than whine about how boring the landscape is here (which I do NOT believe is true), I will continue to delight in the subtle beauty of an autumn day on the prairies. I am alive, I am able-bodied, and I am a Manitoban....and there is nothing wrong with that!!!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon, Ron...in the meantime, enjoy your life wherever you are living in the moment...it is far too short to waste pining for some other place to be...
There is nothing like a kayak (or canoe) in Superior! Used to canoe out of Rossport. Truly beautiful. The water is gin clear.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #10569
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
The shown n shine today... The Miller Gals were checking out the little Honda

There was a 1979 XS 650... Doing a burnout.. It was the lady's first try... Good job girl.

The fellow to the right behind the the miller girls is Gerry Gendron. He was one of the best hill climbers in the 70s.

He rode modified Triumphs and still has the original bike he used to compete with as well as a few older and one new Triumph. The man was amazing at pulling horsepower out of those old bikes.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #10570
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Wooo nice pics. Nice to see everyone's having a good riding season.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #10571
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire has their motorcycle jacks on sale for 1/2 price. $65 if anyone needs one!
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #10572
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
mackinaw was 'interesting' as part of the paved lane was closed for repair.... Had to use the metal grate partway. Glad I had new tires on. Big freighter went under the bridge just as we passed over.

Generally speaking, any time in the summer they are doing maintenance on the bridge. You can count on being diverted to the metal grates.
The bike will do a gentle wiggle all the way. Don't fight it. Let it wiggle. Firm grip on the bars and leave your elbows and shoulders "loose".

Wind is the worst. There have been times when the bike is heeled over into the wind, but you are travelling straight. ....and then you pass the upright supports ..no wind...the bike snaps up straight...pass the support and lay 'er over again. Cool.
I usually try to drive beside a transport or "box" van type of vehicle to use as a wind break. (if its 2 lanes.)
Enjoy the scenery.

The devil in me actually likes the reaction of some "pirates" who blast by you on the pavement and then slow to a white-knuckle crawl when they are pushed onto the steel grates. You can almost smell their fear.
I wiggle past them going the same speed as I run on the pavement.
Embrace the wiggle!!
ADV bikes rule!!
isplat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #10573
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Eloquently said Dan, as always.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #10574
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
Here's an image from Winnipeg kijiji...what's up with the front suspension? Almost looks like the forks are moved WAY up in the tree?

I can see sliding the tubes up one inch for lowering but......
Some dealers never do the PDI correctly. I think they come low like that for shipping but the dealer is supposed to slide the tubes out during PDI
Some nice KLR on kijiji but used bike prices are high when the Edmonton dealer has the blowout prices on the 2013 model at $5900
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #10575
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I can see sliding the tubes up one inch for lowering but......
Some dealers never do the PDI correctly. I think they come low like that for shipping but the dealer is supposed to slide the tubes out during PDI
Some nice KLR on kijiji but used bike prices are high when the Edmonton dealer has the blowout prices on the 2013 model at $5900
Dealer in Grand Forks had new 2011 KLRs for $4780 last week. Couldn't figure how to buy one and get it home though.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote