ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #10651
toban
ADD with bike habit
 
toban's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 166
[QUOTE=GreatWhiteNorth;22345683]


I met Lee (from Calgary) this morning when checking out of the campground - Carl met him camping nearby at Wasagaming... he's a dualsport guy from Calgary who joined us for the ride.

Stopped further ahead. This is where a Black Bear crossed the road near us while we were stopped!




Mike Hutsal here:


Thought I should crash your thread. Lee - the dual sport guy from Calgary is Lee Myrah - originally from Neepawa.

10 - 15 years ago he was at the very top of the IBA's most difficult rides, all on a stock 1997 ST1100 with the stock seat.

A couple of photos from a little ride he did in 2001 (49 states in under 7 days)

This one was at 5:30 AM north of Santa Fe NM at the start of the 4th day.



Gassing up in Needles California later that afternoon - temp 110 degrees.



Finally, a picture the morning after we finished at HyderSeek in June of 2001. Lee Myrah, Ron Ayres, Mike Hutsal.




At that time we were the only ones to have completed 49 states in under 10 days. Interesting memories of rides past. I always want to take more pictures but really it is the memories of times and places that are the best reward. A camera can't capture everything!

You never know who you will meet out on the road!
__________________
Mike Hutsal
Winnipeg, Manitoba
IBA #258
'13 F700GS, '09 K1300GT, '08 Burgman Executive, '01 R1150GS,'00 K1200LT, '99 R1100S, '98 GL1500 F6 Valkyrie
toban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #10652
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 2,019
[QUOTE=toban;22358892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
...

At that time we were the only ones to have completed 49 states in under 10 days. Interesting memories of rides past. I always want to take more pictures but really it is the memories of times and places that are the best reward. A camera can't capture everything!

You never know who you will meet out on the road!
Impressive rides!

A camera can't capture everything, but the photos trigger the memories.
I use the photos as a revolving background on the big-screen TV (I don't always watch TV) and I'll glance up and the memories come flooding back.
Thanks for posting!
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #10653
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,476
Brian
I'm bringing the DR but you have to promise not to kill me? Or even try to. Okay?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #10654
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Brian
I'm bringing the DR but you have to promise not to kill me? Or even try to. Okay?
Lyle
No worries, we'll fly low and slow.
In any case, I'm bringing the RT as the KLR isn't currently insured.
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:01 PM
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #10655
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer
 
GreatWhiteNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
Oddometer: 1,869
Thnx for that!

Quote:
... Mike Hutsal here: Thought I should crash your thread. Lee - the dual sport guy from Calgary is Lee Myrah - originally from Neepawa. 10 - 15 years ago he was at the very top of the IBA's most difficult rides, all on a stock 1997 ST1100 with the stock seat. A couple of photos from a little ride he did in 2001 (49 states in under 7 days) This one was at 5:30 AM north of Santa Fe NM at the start of the 4th day... Gassing up in Needles California later that afternoon - temp 110 degrees. Finally, a picture the morning after we finished at HyderSeek in June of 2001. Lee Myrah, Ron Ayres, Mike Hutsal.
At that time we were the only ones to have completed 49 states in under 10 days. Interesting memories of rides past. I always want to take more pictures but really it is the memories of times and places that are the best reward. A camera can't capture everything! You never know who you will meet out on the road!
It was a pleasure meeting & speaking with Lee. He's on his way (soon) down south to Mexico to overwinter - ride safe Lee. Hope to meet again!
__________________
Spending my daughter's inheritance one motorcycle at a time.
Bikes currently owned: '91 Honda Gold Wing with sidecar, '92 Kawi KLR650 with Enduro sidecar, '94 KLR650, KL250 Super Sherpa.
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #10656
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.
 
BOBMUNZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Brian
I'm bringing the DR but you have to promise not to kill me? Or even try to. Okay?
Lyle
Don't worry, the rides aren't too difficult, I think the worst of it the last time I attended was just rough roads and some bad erosion on the tire tracks but nothing that was too complicated to cross. There was the one guy ( I've forgotten his name) that did the whole ride on a Buel street bike with street slicks, and was going far faster then I would have dared.
__________________
"Geez, all I wanted to know was if I should plan on covering 500 or 1000 kms per day. Not instructions on preparing for combat...."
BOBMUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #10657
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBMUNZ View Post
Don't worry, the rides aren't too difficult, I think the worst of it the last time I attended was just rough roads and some bad erosion on the tire tracks but nothing that was too complicated to cross. There was the one guy ( I've forgotten his name) that did the whole ride on a Buel street bike with street slicks, and was going far faster then I would have dared.
And you ride that KLR like a madman! Same bike this year?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #10658
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBMUNZ View Post
So we are meeting at fermor and lagimodiere at 7am?
Well it's official, Lee's flight was cancelled due to weather.
So, she'll be riding out on Friday with Jonathan.
See you at Deacons Corner tomorrow.
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #10659
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak
 
Whyswoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: WhinyNippy
Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Yup, make plans and watch them evolve... Just got a call from Jonathan and he's unable to ride out with us as he was just notified of a job interview on Thursday. New plan is he'll ride out on Friday...

Sad to hear that Isplat2 and crew won't be able to make it due to a collapsed well and a washed out road.
The only constant is change...
And then there was a cancelled flight...hopefully, I will get out of God's tomorrow morning, so I will be able to ride to TBay with Jono on Friday....
__________________
“Most people don't grow up. Most people age. They find parking spaces, honor their credit cards, get married, have children, and call that maturity. What that is, is aging.” Maya Angelou
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #10660
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.
 
BOBMUNZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
And you ride that KLR like a madman! Same bike this year?
Lyle
Yes, slightly upgraded, some more scratches and dents, but otherwise the same thing.
__________________
"Geez, all I wanted to know was if I should plan on covering 500 or 1000 kms per day. Not instructions on preparing for combat...."
BOBMUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #10661
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Well it's official, Lee's flight was cancelled due to weather.
So, she'll be riding out on Friday with Jonathan.
See you at Deacons Corner tomorrow.
Planning to go through Kenora or stay on the bypass? Going to try and catch up with you enroute.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #10662
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,742
We should be on the east side of the By Pass around 10:30.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GS (Arriving in March), 2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125 (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #10663
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Planning to go through Kenora or stay on the bypass? Going to try and catch up with you enroute.
Lyle
Straight through on the bypass... I'll have my Spot on so you'll see when we're getting close.
Spot address is in my sig line.
See you tomorrow.
Cheers!
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #10664
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,476
I shall be hoisting sail here about 10:00. Probably on the bike. I'm in a faded yellow Roadcrafter. Going to be had to miss. Suspect I may be in front of you, but I'll be doing a pretty relaxed pace so I'm sure we'll cross paths. Everybody ride safe, now!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #10665
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,192
Thunder Storms coming up from the south into Northwestern Ontario tomorrow...ride safe and see you guys there!
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014