Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #10681
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 614

Beautiful day at "No More NOR"....the view from the "Little Red 'Yak" this afternoon...

Sent from my iPhone

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #10682
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
That's nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post

Beautiful day at "No More NOR"....the view from the "Little Red 'Yak" this afternoon...

Sent from my iPhone

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Lee, tell me more about your kayak! This is one of those super lightweight take down foldables, eh? What brand & model is it? Angelika and I went for a long ride thru the Whiteshell yesterday... was absolutely gorgeous out, but windy!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #10683
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Day 1 in the Black Hills
Got to Keystone by 230. Riding by 3
Pics are west of Hill City near Bear Mtn
hey mark, where are the Sunday pics?
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #10684
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
And did you do some kind of fancy windshield and GPS on your KLR?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #10685
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 728
Here ya go Jing Met up with a couple from Nebraska on an 08 klr. Had breakie with them. Rode iron mtn then the evil dentist trail then castle creek Glen got a flat so that shortened the day a bit. Fixed it last night. Iron mtn again this morning then big rain wind and cold in Custer so no Cicero peak today. Just finished 125 km. hot tub now to warm up.

Victoria lake overlook along the dentist trail

Along castle creek

Rain in Custer

Ya Les. Trying out a laminar lip. And the Gps helped us find and complete the evil dentist trail. We were close in the spring.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #10686
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Lee, tell me more about your kayak! This is one of those super lightweight take down foldables, eh? What brand & model is it? Angelika and I went for a long ride thru the Whiteshell yesterday... was absolutely gorgeous out, but windy!
It is a 10 1/2 foot Innova Swing 1 - made in Czechoslovakia - and it fits on the back of my bike. I have had this up north for a couple of outings, and then brought it down to Winnipeg specifically to take to the NOR - I wanted to see how well it would work for travelling...

I am totally chuffed - it worked just fine - I got 3 hours of paddling in on Feliz' lake yesterday, and it was lots of fun. This is not a whitewater kayak, nor would I want to race with it....but it will definitely be going on some of my longer rides with me from here on in. I bought a 128 liter duffle bag that will allow me to carry it, along with my camping gear...

I bought it at Mountain Equipment Co-op, in case you want to know more about it...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #10687
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Thnx Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
It is a 10 1/2 foot Innova Swing 1 - made in Czechoslovakia - and it fits on the back of my bike. I have had this up north for a couple of outings, and then brought it down to Winnipeg specifically to take to the NOR - I wanted to see how well it would work for travelling...

I am totally chuffed - it worked just fine - I got 3 hours of paddling in on Feliz' lake yesterday, and it was lots of fun. This is not a whitewater kayak, nor would I want to race with it....but it will definitely be going on some of my longer rides with me from here on in. I bought a 128 liter duffle bag that will allow me to carry it, along with my camping gear...

I bought it at Mountain Equipment Co-op, in case you want to know more about it...
Would sure be nice for more protected waters... will look into this!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #10688
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Took the Wing into work today. Windy!!!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #10689
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,746
Introducing the newest member of the stable.
Mrs Backroader will be riding this one next year
JimToe and I picked up a pair of these through Finndian, thanks to the ADV connection.
(Thanks Gord)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #10690
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,238
Sherpas!

Very cool! I really like those bikes, and am looking forward to seeing Janet on the road with that little thumper. There is a thread on ADV of a guy riding to South America from Nebraska(?) on a 250 Sherpa. Great story!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #10691
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Floating an idea... Cypress Hills trip next year

Maybe far too early to mention this, but here goes... Carl/Calan818 and myself were discussing potentially doing a trip out to the Cypress Hills next summer to check the place out. For those that don't know, quite a bit of wild, wild west history to the area, and lots to see. I'd love to take the southern route, Hwy 2 in MB, 13 across southern SK thru Assiniboia, Shaunavon, East End. There's a few gravel side roads thru Frenchman Valley that look interesting too. Potentially I could be up for venturing further onward westerly to the Milk River and Writing-On-Stone Prov Park in southern AB. It'd be a camping gig (for me). Just tossing it out there - would be cool if we did another Wpg/MB group ride - any interest?

http://www.cypresshills.com/

http://www.albertaparks.ca/writing-on-stone.aspx

EDIT - adding another link: http://www.albertaparks.ca/cypress-h...e-history.aspx

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 08:15 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #10692
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 670
Did that a run a few years back. I spent about an hour with Carl looking for the bike keys. They were in a pocket I did not know I had.

The southern ride is far more interesting than the TrashCanada.

I always wanted to return to Moose Mountain in Saskatchewan
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #10693
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Me too, sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
Did that a run a few years back. I spent about an hour with Carl looking for the bike keys. They were in a pocket I did not know I had.

The southern ride is far more interesting than the TrashCanada.

I always wanted to return to Moose Mountain in Saskatchewan
Camped at the east block campground 2 or 3 years in a row actually myself (but not this year), but didn't do hardly any gravel travel there. Actually Moose Mountain/Kenosee Lake would be an ideal 1/2 way point to overnight at... have never stopped there myself actually (and would like to).

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 06:12 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #10694
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
Very cool! I really like those bikes, and am looking forward to seeing Janet on the road with that little thumper. There is a thread on ADV of a guy riding to South America from Nebraska(?) on a 250 Sherpa. Great story!
More Sherpa action here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post21371571

Yea I really like the Sherpa too. Been riding mine almost every day for running about/ errands etc.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #10695
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
I tried riding the dirt roads through Moose Mountain on three separate occasions. Each time I had to turn around : too muddy and wet.
It takes forever to dry out, and to make it through, you will need a long spell of dry weather/ little rain, before its passable on two wheels. I would like to eventually do it someday.
There's a cool route you can use as an alternate from Oxbow, south then through the Souris valley ( gravel ) that will connect you to Estevan and hwy 18.
If the water is high, there is a low level crossing that will be impassable . I know one rider who tried it and lost his bike, had to swim back to the road and walk out!!!!
Souris Valley just east of Hwy 9