Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #11176
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
This time of year is a crap shoot on the Hiway. Good to hear you made it home safely. Looking forward to seeing the Barbie Bike!!!!
Barbie needs a little TLC - I checked the valve clearances while in Edmonton (all too tight), and had a look at the cam bearing journals - they're good. Although it seems to run well and rides good, it was (I think) unloved It has about 70k on it. Might be a good candidate for a replacement piston. too.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #11177
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
If you want to experiment with Barbie plastic, sand it in stages down to about 1500 grit to get rid of existing sanding marks. Then you can either experiment with a heat gun to get the gloss back, or try rubbing it with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid (not any other kind of fluid as it will damage the plastic).

The brake fluid brought back the chalky pink plastic from my '05 to near new.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #11178
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Re plastic renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
If you want to experiment with Barbie plastic, sand it in stages down to about 1500 grit to get rid of existing sanding marks. Then you can either experiment with a heat gun to get the gloss back, or try rubbing it with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid (not any other kind of fluid as it will damage the plastic).

The brake fluid brought back the chalky pink plastic from my '05 to near new.
Les, actually while in Edmonton, we spent quite a bit of time hanging out in the garage at buddy Reg's - he had a PC Racing plastic renewal kit on hand (nice guy - gave it to me), and I tried it on a few pieces on a few different bikes. The stuff works. The trick is patience like you're saying, wet sanding the bad spots with increasingly finer grades. Also, we tried Maguire's PlastX polish - simply amazing stuff! ... it made such a difference on his DR650 and the little KLR250. I have a good heat gun... will further experiment on bits and pieces over the winter, but not sure yet - might still paint the Barbie KLR...

BTW, anyone have a stock Gen 1 KLR windscreen that they're not using and would part with cheap?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #11179
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

KLR engine related...

Dragged the spare KLR frame, assorted parts and engine into the house today... cleaned up the engine with degreaser (was filthy) so I could have a good look at it. This engine appears to have died from doohickey failure... counterbalancer chain broke and seized up the engine! I just happen to have a good spare bottom end donor engine that I can rob the needed bits from to repair this engine!

The engines:

The top sprocket where the chain is jammed and broken:

Maybe I can bring that engine back to life.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 02:18 PM Reason: correction
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #11180
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,668
Kawasaki does not like to talk about "doo" failures. My 07 puked at 6500kms, two months after the warranty expired. The dealer did the repairs, Kawasaki replaced the parts free and the dealer charged me labour. Basic damaged control for a flaw in design!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #11181
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,217
New KLR

Just so I have a clear picture in my mind...you drove straight through from Edmonton yesterday hauling bits and pieces of KLR, and today you are pulling engines apart? You are a true KLR aficionado with severe symptoms!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #11182
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Yup

Quote:
Kawasaki does not like to talk about "doo" failures. My 07 puked at 6500kms, two months after the warranty expired. The dealer did the repairs, Kawasaki replaced the parts free and the dealer charged me labour. Basic damaged control for a flaw in design!
Yup, major design flaw. Did yours jam up and break a chain too? The other ways KLRs seem to die is cam bearing journals eating themselves, or the KACR (automatic compression release mechanism) coming apart (spring breaking) and flailing itself to death. I got a valve cover with that spare bottom end, and you can see where the KACR was beating on it - damn near chew through it. Would sure suck to be on a long trip away from home and have a failure like that.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #11183
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post

Just so I have a clear picture in my mind...you drove straight through from Edmonton yesterday hauling bits and pieces of KLR, and today you are pulling engines apart? You are a true KLR aficionado with severe symptoms!
Yup. Sorting through what I picked up. Reg bought that KLR250 in Canmore a while back, drove down on a Friday after work, and on the way back stopped in Calgary and picked up the KLR parts bike for me. Got a shitload of stuff for $140 - unbelievable deal. Was well worth the drive up to Edmonton & back. Also, he bought that KLR he sold to me locally in Edmonton... he was going to keep it, but decided to pass on the good deal to me (he already has that nice DR650).
Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #11184
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Great ride

Took advantage of the amazing weather and went for a ride out to Portage sandhills today. We explored a bit (no map!) and found a gravel "River Rd W" out of St Eustache that follows the dike along of the south side of the Assiniboine. We wound up taking a shortcut down a few miles of dirt road getting the bike filthy! There was icy patches in shady areas, and in the sandhills, a little snow and ice... pretty slick actually at times. Great ride - hope it's warm enough tomorrow to go to a carwash!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #11185
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,668
JimToe and I held a mini tech day... Bikes were serviced, dogs were cooked and beverages served! I believe that officially qualifies for a tech day.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #11186
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
JimToe and I held a mini tech day... Bikes were serviced, dogs were cooked and beverages served! I believe that officially qualifies for a tech day.
I would say yup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #11187
2whlrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Sure looks like a tech day! Wish I was able to enjoy the great weather instead of working.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #11188
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 659
Had a good day with Greg.

Thanks to Greg I was more a spectator, food devourer and beverage consumer than worker bee. But two of the Toews Toys are now tucked away for the winter. Just two to go.

The parts bike will just have to live outdoors for another year.

This one may spend the winter in a museum. Have not decided yet.

One more will be snuck into the basement for winter restoration project. Parts are already there and some are at work getting tweeted and the rest are in boxes in various locations or still on the parts bike above.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #11189
stubblejumper

Oddometer: 208
Dead KLR

Quote:
Ya I remember that day. Your KLR was all cleaned up and then I showed up and we went for a little spin. West side of the Red River bridge by St. Adolphe.
`11 Ram SLT Hemi 4x4
stubblejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #11190
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
It sure feels like winter is here. Spending my extra long weekend at home this month and sure has been crappy weather! Being a somewhat sombre day, cold and cloud seem appropriate. We went to the jets game last night and they had a short presentation with a moment of silence. If was about 30 seconds but 15,000 plus were utterly silent, just the hum of the ventilation fans in the building. I was waiting for some drunk to yell out but just silence, very cool!

This is the only day of the year the church bell rings in Graysville. Always makes it a special day.
I was at that game too, Carl. It's a great game and the moment of silence was something and I really enjoyed that vs. "make some noise" sign...
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote