Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #12931
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post
I had a fella come look at my KLR last evening, battery had been on the tender all day and was still installing it when he showed up. Turned on the fuel and it fired up right nicely! He had been a mechanic with a Honda store when he was young so he knew his stuff. He said the engine sounded great and was very impressed with the bike. New tires, chain, sprockets, and all washed up looking great. End result was that he was just in the area today and wanted to see the bike, he was also headed to Europe on a family vacation so was only planning to buy in April when he got back.
He was not ready to buy and after showing off the bike I am not sure I am ready to sell!
Greg saying the KLR was still on of his favourite bikes rings in my ear. It is a wonderful machine and I am beginning tothink I will kick myself for selling it...

SELL IT!!!!!

I only got 80,000 or so thousand kms on a bone stock motor (minus doohickey) before the speedo cable crapped out. Now I have no idea how many kms are on this $1800 piece of shit. True, it still runs like a top, but there's no way I'd ever buy another one....

...unless I had $1800.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #12932
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,219
Klr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwokentoof View Post
SELL IT!!!!!

I only got 80,000 or so thousand kms on a bone stock motor (minus doohickey) before the speedo cable crapped out. Now I have no idea how many kms are on this $1800 piece of shit. True, it still runs like a top, but there's no way I'd ever buy another one....

...unless I had $1800.

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #12933
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,677
Started our trek north from Phoenix today. As we climbed out of the valley towards Flagstaff, the weather quickly went from pleasant to nasty.

The sky started to turn brown and the winds picked up significantly.

28 plus mpg at 70mph

A number times, the visibility was nil!

Will upload more photos later

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #12934
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,165
Big storm coming across from Colorado and up into Northwestern Ontario over the next 2 days...drive carefully or sit it out!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #12935
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
North Dakota and southern Manitoba is gonna get clobbered too. Low visibility across half the continent!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #12936
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,219
safe travels

Careful on your ride home, sounds like you are going to be driving through another "last winter storm" through the midwest. Looks like you are already in some nasty weather!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #12937
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,677
Supper in Moab tonite...
All you can eat soup, salad and pizza at ZAKS.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #12938
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 681
I was wrong....the track was pretty darn good today. A little slushy in spots but fun splashing around.
Our plow guy did a great job of joining the 2 tracks together to give us a new layout and some fresh(sort of) ice. Had a blast riding a 450 today....haven't ridden one since last year. Great party after the riding was over with a BBQ, cake, and bevvys.

and a decent turnout too
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #12939
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Brutal

[QUOTE=BackRoader;23818076] Started our trek north from Phoenix today. As we climbed out of the valley towards Flagstaff, the weather quickly went from pleasant to nasty.
/QUOTE]

Not exactly nice weather here either. Hopefully you can avoid the worst of that bad weather on the drive home.

I didn't get out for a ride yesterday, but got lots done on getting it ready to ride, new battery in, cleaned/reoiled the air filter (I clean the K & N once a year whether it needs it or not :^) , lubed the chain, etc. As the afternoon wore on it got colder and windier

I need to solder on a new connector on my trailer today - looks like I should have done that yesterday!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #12940
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

I've been watching my fuel mileage every tank as a kind of check engine light. I've found with all of my gravel riding, I can clog an air filter in about 4000-6000 km pretty easy, and it shows as a sharp dropoff of fuel economy. I bought the thing in July 2013, and have had to clean it twice in the summer because of that. Interestingly, there seems to be extremely few particulates collecting on the filter in the winter. Almost nothing. Looks like the air is much cleaner. That explains why most snowblowers solve the problem of carb icing by just not including an air filter.
meatshieldchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #12941
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Filter

I had a very close look at the filter before cleaning it. No dirt passed through the filter media (it was still completely clean on the inside). The outside was pretty gunky in a few spots, dirt collecting on areas that must have had a little excess oil. The interesting part was that you could plainly see the lower portion of the filter was much cleaner, and overall you could still see light passing thru the media (far from clogged).

I don't want to minimize the importance of a clean filter and good seal... just saying that this filter was doing it's job. I did a ton of gravel riding last year too, but not a lot of driving thru clouds of dust either (which IMO makes all the difference).

I don't for a second think K & Ns are a better filter, but I sure like how easy they are to clean and re-oil.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #12942
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

this uni filter seems significantly easier to clean than the stock one too.

Speaking of carbs and air, I had a bit of a puzzling thing happen the other day when I took the bike to the car wash. It was up to normal working temp, but I waited a few minutes for the bay to clear out, so it had cooled off a bit before washing. I couldn't start it for a bit! It was popping and farting and firing into the exhaust like it was too lean. After a few minutes of cranking it fired up like normal. Is that symptomatic of water in the carb vent? Is this what the T-mod is supposed to cure?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #12943
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Happens to me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatshieldchris View Post
this uni filter seems significantly easier to clean than the stock one too.

Speaking of carbs and air, I had a bit of a puzzling thing happen the other day when I took the bike to the car wash. It was up to normal working temp, but I waited a few minutes for the bay to clear out, so it had cooled off a bit before washing. I couldn't start it for a bit! It was popping and farting and firing into the exhaust like it was too lean. After a few minutes of cranking it fired up like normal. Is that symptomatic of water in the carb vent? Is this what the T-mod is supposed to cure?
I've probably washed my KLR at the carwash about 5 to 7 times, and I've had exactly the same thing occur. Usually waiting 5 or 10 minutes cured whatever was ailing it. The impression I get is that it's ignition related. Pressure washing is damned hard on bikes!

EDIT, Chris re carb vent T-mod, I've done all 3 KLRs. Easy to do. It's to prevent stalling during prolonged water crossings as it adds a vent up high under the seat. More on that here: http://www.klr650.marknet.us/tmod.html

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 10:50 AM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #12944
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

just checked out my rear studs for wear. it looks like they wear as the tire wears, keeping the right amount of stud exposed. also, they are sharpening to a point! Looks like they get better with age. They seem to be reducing tire wear as well, there's about 4000km on this rear with the studs in, and there's still 70% tread left and I might have worn off most of that 20% before I put the studs in. The front tires still look brand new. So next pair of winter tires, I'm not going to delay putting them in so they get good and sharp before the ice really stays put. As soon as possible in October.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #12945
meatshieldchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
EDIT, Chris re carb vent T-mod, I've done all 3 KLRs. Easy to do. It's to prevent stalling during prolonged water crossings as it adds a vent up high under the seat. More on that here: http://www.klr650.marknet.us/tmod.html
Hmm, that's where the vent already is on my 2013. Maybe they resolved that? I imagine there's still a problem if the bike were to fall over in a puddle. That's why I thought I might have gotten water in there, I was dealing with some particularly stubborn mud on the side panel.