Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126

and we are in Velico Turnovo visiting a castle with this Lion welcoming us.

We are now in the center and there lies up in front of us a castle with the surrounding walls and on the top a sort of “church”, I looked in there but I was out of it in 2 minutes, spooky place with spooky paintings, went behind and found an elevator that took you to the top (if you paid) and you can see a panorama of the town below with its river and trees, nice view indeed.

Vrakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We leave this place also and we reach Drianovski monastery...

.... with a monument also present there go under the church down some steps, over a wooden bridge ....

.... and then uphill that leads us to a cave called Bancho Kyro (small route 600m and long one 4Km), this is where we run out of luck as just a minute before it closed at 6pm, well no flashlight, no lights and no guide, there was no way to enter it so we leave this place and after an ice cream and some water back up the Stara Planina mountains all the way to the top and we see a building that looks like a UFO ....

the site is nice and the horses also .....

..... but the wind and rain that started were pushing us away as it became to cold, downhill towards Kazalnook and back to our base after doing around 400km
Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rodopi - Diabol Gourlo - Iakoutinska Pestera

big day ahead of us since we decided to go at Diavolsko Gourlo through the Rodopi mountains, so we grab the coat and the isothermal t-shirt and off we go passing through Plovdiv turning off at some point towards some villages. We continue on a pleasant road that in short period the turns started to be more often and on our right hand side a huge dam where there were boats, little green islands, fisherman just like a small ocean.

Keep looking around at the lovely nature and the twists become more and more and the warning signs from 60km/h drop to 40 then 30 and the street becomes more narrow and just as I was thinking that’s the limit another sign of 20km/h popped up and then the road was so narrow that only a single car could go by since on the one side a steep mountain from rock ended in the road and on the other side a drop straight in to the river, well I was going less than 20 believe me.

Finally we reached the cave of Diabol Gourlo

and we entered it, water running from everywhere and very dark since even the flash on the camera was weak, but we continue down and then climbed up until we could see some light coming in ...

.... we exit this place and the mist from the waterfall we passed inside was visible and coming out of the cave.

We collect our helmets from a store that I must mention they kept safe for us with no charge at all and around 30km up the mountains in the narrow and twisty roads we arrive to another cave .....

I am now looking at the counter and guess how many kilometers I have left so we can refill and sit down for something to eat and on the way there we stop on the river bank of a lake to rest ....

Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just a lazy day around the village taking some photos and then to Plovdiv for some shopping, well at least I found some things to buy for my kids and myself and saw the town by driving around on my bike.
Not much really to write about but here are some photos you might like to see.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Plovdiv - Old Town of Philippoupolis
almost time to start our way back but I had to see the old town of Plovdiv (Phillipoupolis) so we arrive there

We go up in some old stone roads and find souvenir and antique shops where you can find swords, knifes, old guns and even old microscopes, wasn’t interested in buying anything so we go to the very top and there is a panorama of the whole town.

Seen enough and walk down through the narrow streets and enter one of the lovely old houses where in the three floors someone can see the history of Bulgaria with photos and texts, a place worth visiting.

Continue our way down and come to an amphitheater that had columns and even the orchestra part, something you don’t usually see in old amphitheaters and having a look at that and some snapshots ...

Plenty of window shopping, plenty of people going around and another stop for a cold drink and finishing our drinks finds us riding back to the town for the rest of the day organizing a few bits and pieces.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #21
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

time to leave Bulgaria as our journey is almost over, after a small discussion on what time to leave we decide that 7.00am is good enough time to do this and we also wear our winter vests as it was cold on the highway to Sofia. We leave the village turn right on the highway towards Sofia and then just before the tunnel, left to find the exit towards Borovets, this the a winter resort and one of the best ones.

We continue our way and find the exit towards the small city-village of Melnik and on the way we stopped as I saw a turtle crossing the road, you can only watch and admire this animal, it crossed the road and we ended up in the city where we had some food and expired cokes, but with such a thirst, who cared.

We leave this place and come to the borders with a lot of cars waiting to cross, for our good luck, another sectioned opened and we went in first and crossed the borders of Bulgaria to Greece.

we managed to reach Lamia and the first hotel we found we booked a room for 55 euro a night, with no Internet and no breakfast, but with covering 800km in total in one day and those 560km were in the heat of 40 degrees celcious, who cared about prices, not me.

Monday and the previous days exhaustion was still around, we go down to the reception, pay, load the bike, stopped further down and filled the bike with gasoline and off we go for Piraeus and Keratsini.

This was our trip ended and now hope for the next one in August.

Thanks for any comments or questions!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Very nice trip , i enjoyed reading and seeing your report . Definitely ride i would like to do for 2012 if the motogp goes to Bulgaria.Greetings from Crete!
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #23
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas
Very nice trip , i enjoyed reading and seeing your report . Definitely ride i would like to do for 2012 if the motogp goes to Bulgaria.Greetings from Crete!
It is worth it and maybe we will meet at the moto GP.

If you need any info, dont hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your reply!

Χαιρετίσματα στην λεβεντομάνα Κρήτη.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #24
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Almost forgot .... here is a video trailer
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #25
CRAZY_BG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
ey men thanks!I am from Bulgaria.
WELCOME
CRAZY_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #26
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZY_BG
ey men thanks!I am from Bulgaria.
WELCOME
You have a lovely country my friend and it is a bikers pleasure to go around!

Next time i will visit the sea side - Varna (Kavarna i have a friend there) - Burgas but the Rodopi mountains i will never exchange with any part as its ... absolutely SUPER

Zdravei ot Kypar
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #27
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Beautiful ride, report and pics! Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

If you have a ride report from Cyprus, we'd love to see that too. I was in Cyprus many years ago and would like to see more of it.

Your website address on the pics is a bit distracting. Our stated policy is that pics are the property of the poster and no unauthorized use is permitted.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #28
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Beautiful ride, report and pics! Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

If you have a ride report from Cyprus, we'd love to see that too. I was in Cyprus many years ago and would like to see more of it.

Your website address on the pics is a bit distracting. Our stated policy is that pics are the property of the poster and no unauthorized use is permitted.
Thank you for your reply and the pleasure is all mine.
I do apologize about the text but i had resized them a long time ago with the watermark included as i did use them in other places including my personal web site.
Lovely to know that you respect the posters property

I do have a few trips from Cyprus and i will post some here with video if this ok with you.
Tell me where you went and i will try to locate some of my photos from there and post the ride.
If you are ever in Cyprus ... just drop a PM and we can meet for a coffee or a beer

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #29
martobg
Bulgarian n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm from Varna, let me know when you're round or if you need any advice on the area/food/places to see :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrakas
You have a lovely country my friend and it is a bikers pleasure to go around!

Next time i will visit the sea side - Varna (Kavarna i have a friend there) - Burgas but the Rodopi mountains i will never exchange with any part as its ... absolutely SUPER

Zdravei ot Kypar
Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
Vrakas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martobg
I'm from Varna, let me know when you're round or if you need any advice on the area/food/places to see :)
I might come again in August this year and go to Burgas, Neseber, Varna, Kavarna and then for a day in Romania since it just near.
Then again through the mountains all the way to Hissaria where i will have the "center" of my excursions.

Thanks for the offer I will give you a call before coming and will try to meet and take some advice from you.

Thanks again