User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
GT Rideaholic OP
GT rideaholic

Oddometer: 5
Cross country 2 stroke ride

Hello, I am new to this board (joined today), but have been told by other riders this is the place for me. My name is Allen and I like to do a lot of riding. I have put 158K miles in the last 4 years on vintage 2 stroke bikes. I am 51 years old and have been riding since 1972. My wife and I recently (Aug 09) took off for three weeks and celebrated our 20th anniversary with a cross country ride on my Suzuki 1974 GT750. We started in Florida. We covered nearly 8K miles on the ride. You can go to www.flickr.com/gt750 and see the adventure. If you go to the last page and work backwards it starts at the beginning of the ride. When your finished with that you can go to www.flickr.com/ironbuttallen and see the ride I took 10 days later (Sept 09) on my Triumph Bonnevile if you like. This is my 09 Triumph, and they told me it has a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I put 15K miles on it in just under 4 months. I also have done some iron butt rides like the BBG1500 on the GT750 covering 1601 miles in 24 hours. Anyway this is a little info about me, and I would like to say its good to be here and maybe will meet some of you at a ride some day.
Thanks.

Allen........ Will ride for food !!
GT Rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 803
Welcome.
You did not list an occupation but it must have been a profitable one or do you get paid for riding?
Stop and say Hi when in the California area.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
GT Rideaholic OP
GT rideaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Welcome.
You did not list an occupation but it must have been a profitable one or do you get paid for riding?
Stop and say Hi when in the California area.
Sorry bout that. My job is irrigation installer/repairs for lawns. I usully have little to noting to do after October, but last year I knew that if I had waited that long the ride would have been shorter due to cold weather. Plus I wanted to ride to Sturgis during the rally on a 2 stroke smoker among a million Harleys.
I did get some sponsorship with tires/chain and a new redesigned electronic ignition built by Newtronics sent to me from Australia to test for them. The ride will also be in the March-April edition of Motorcycle Classics magazine.

Allen......
IBA21871
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
stuartdivebum
assume first

Oddometer: 91
Gasp!

You mean you actually ride and dont spend all your time bein a post Ho? Hey Buddy, glad to see a friendly (and fast) face here maybe you should post up yer ironbutt creds (ya did)Been ridin with ya since I wuz 14. Wow, almost 40years, Im gonna get all weepy- NOT
stuartdivebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Great Buffalo! Is it an impossibly well preserved original or a restoration project?

I had a '72 that was one of our favorite bikes and one of the few I would want to own again. Bought it in 1976 for $525 and sold it for $550 in 1985. 35,000 miles of memorable experiences.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
GT Rideaholic OP
GT rideaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow
Great Buffalo! Is it an impossibly well preserved original or a restoration project?
Thanks......The bike has not been restored. Mostly repaired as needed. All the chrome is original, but I did get it repainted about 7 years ago. I did put a new wiring harness in before the trip as the old one was getting brittle and did not want an electrical failure 5K miles from home with my wife on the back.
The motor did loose a crank seal at 84K miles and so I rebuilt the whole motor as I had to split the cases to get the crank out anyway. The interesting part was there was nothing worn out in the engine except the one seal. Even the clutch plates only had .003 wear as compared to brand new ones. The compression was 122-124 psi and only went to 125 psi with fresh bore and pistons. This bike has been all over the country usually with all my bags and a 2 1/2 gallon fuel cell mounted on the rear when I am doing an ironbutt ride. This bike now has 114K miles. I run Oring chains and get about 25-30K miles out of them. What is nice it they are very reliable and get around 40mpg, which is good for a 2 stroke engine. It funny sometimes when I go some where and people tell me when I pull up my bike is smoking. I tell them its when it "quits" smoking is when I get worried.

Allen...... Remember when 2 strokes ruled the world