ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
MuleTrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Hello everyone,

Wow, thank you very much for your replies....some very good information to look over, maybe some more details that would help:

- I figured I'd look around Alphretta since it was north of the city and wouldn't be as hectic as Atlanta, but still be a decent commute into the city. And be closer to riding areas north.

-I will be working from home 100% of the time. Most of my customers are in Atlanta but will be traveling in the SC, GA, TN, AL areas as well. I'll be on the road I would suspect 50% of the time, most of that within driving distance from home.

-I like the idea of the Cummings area but afraid if I get too far north the Airport will be a trek.

-Maybe I should look in the north/western region like the Smyrna area? What other towns out that way would be good?

I ride a 2002 BMW Adv that is mechanically solid but not a garage queen so I have no need to fit in at Starbucks...and am really looking forward to the riding areas north of GA, have never ridden around there. I have no interest in the nightlife in Atlanta but wouldn't mind a few nice local resturants and have shopping close by. Barnes and Noble is key since I like to flip through the magazines without paying an arm and a leg for them...

The most important part is the nice town and neighborhood, single family home with a garage and a small yard for Daisy the Wonder Dog to do her thing...beyond that she's sleeping all day. A townhouse with a garage would be perfect but because of the pooch I think a house would be better. I was hoping one of you guys would have a house for rent, looking online is painful. But if I narrow my search more towards the northwest area I might be in better shape.

I hope that is helpful and I really apprecaite your feedback. When I get down there, hopefully Aug 1 or at the latest Sept 1 we can get together for a ride.

Thank you!

Chris
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
I will keep an eye out and ask around...keep us posted.

What kind of work do you do? My territory and travels are similar. I sell enterprise-class software primarily to manufacturing companies to control quality, efficiency, etc.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
Marietta, Kennesaw, Woodstock, Canton, or Cartersville (C-Vegas Baby )come to mind and are on the NW side of Atlanta with Cartersville being the furthest away at 45 minutes up I-75 and is still considered Metro Atlanta. I live in Cartersville and sometimes I get bored with it after living here for my whole 31 years but when it boils down to it, there is something to be said about a town close enough to a big city but yet, small enough that you don't have the negatives that come with a big city.
QFT

I live north of Canton and have everything I need within 30-60 mins of me. The areas you mentioned are great and, as others have mentioned, close to some good riding. Woodstock, Acworth and others are closer to the city. For me, Canton/Jasper is were it is at.

My .01
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
+ 1. I work in Jasper now, and wish I could live up that way. I could care less if I ever see Atlanta again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
QFT

I live north of Canton and have everything I need within 30-60 mins of me. The areas you mentioned are great and, as others have mentioned, close to some good riding. Woodstock, Acworth and others are closer to the city. For me, Canton/Jasper is were it is at.

My .01
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #20
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
If it was me, I'd stay on the NW side of Atlanta, there is no where near the traffic when you have to get to the Airport.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #21
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Hi Chris,

Welcome! I've lived in Metro Atlanta since 1972 and here is my two cents: if you like a smaller town environment, stay away from Alpharetta. I live in East Cobb/Roswell and my girlfriend lives in Alpharetta. They are both very nice places to raise kids and they have great schools, but are extremely congested and built out. Alpharetta is particularly interesting/weird as it is full of people pretending to be richer than they are, with all the yuppie BS that goes along with that.

If I were you, I would look in Dahlonega and Cumming. Smaller towns with easy access to both Alpharetta/Atlanta and the fantastic riding of North Georgia. I'm in East Cobb because the public schools are fantastic here and I have a 13 year old - once he is off to college, I will be living either in Dahlonega or Cumming.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #22
ARod2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleTrain
-Maybe I should look in the north/western region like the Smyrna area? What other towns out that way would be good?
Smyrna being closer to Atlanta is kinda why I thought you'd like it. I'm in the next town out, Marietta. The Mareitta square is arguably the best "square" in metro Atl. Very active and very good police department...that is, if you don't break the law. Roswell is nice too. I don't think you'll go wrong anywhere up 75, from Smyrna to Canton. I'd just stay away from the 400 corridor because you get more of the folks caught up in competing with the Joneses. 400 is ok once you get to Cumming but that's pretty far and traffic sucks, especially to the airport.

Check out the Marietta Square area. The square has character (no chain stores) and it's not far from Barrett Pkwy which has every frick'n chain store in the world. Including Barnes and Nobel.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
ChemistOnWheels
Batteries ... Included!

Oddometer: 52
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARod2000
The Mareitta square is arguably the best "square" in metro Atl.
I disagree. Granted I'm an ITP (Inside The Perimeter) snob ... but we live in Decatur, very much a small town surrounded by 285 and Atlanta. Our school system is one of the best in the state, and our square is surrounded by night life, resturants, and good people.

The housing prices in Decatur are a bit cost prohibitive, but that's what you get for being walking distance from the grocery store, bars, meals, theaters, concerts, schools, and the swim and tennis. The housing prices outside of 285 (except for East Cobb County) have plummetted, and now is a great time to buy out there if you so choose.

We're 45 min from Alpharetta (and it would be against traffic, reverse commute), 10 min from down town Atlanta.

Anyway, if riding in North Ga is a priority for you, then I would pick somewhere up there. I grew up OTP (Outside The Perimeter) and there is fun to be had in any direction ... but for living quality for me and the family, I don't think I could have made a better choice than Decatur.

No offense to any of your OTP'ers ... because that is where all the good riding is

- Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R.Tolkien

- Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
ChemistOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #24
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
The NW (marietta, kennesaw, etc) up 75 is OK traffic-wise IF you go against rush hour traffic, like don't try going south from 0700-1000 and north from 1530-1930. Sounds like you will be flexible in your flight times so it shouldn't be an issue. Smyrna is where most of the younger and single crowd seem to end up, and easy drive to airport.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #25
ARod2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistOnWheels
I disagree. Granted I'm an ITP (Inside The Perimeter) snob ... but we live in Decatur, very much a small town surrounded by 285 and Atlanta. Our school system is one of the best in the state, and our square is surrounded by night life, resturants, and good people.
Oh I agree with you 100%, "the Dec" has a great intown feel that is hard to find around Atlanta. Downtown Deactur probably the most similar to life in the NE. When I was a wee little tot I lived in Decatur. I should have elaborated, I was thinking OTP as I've surmised he didn't want to be ITP. I could be wrong, be sure to check out Decatur, it is nice and closer to a whole lot more culture.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
+ 1. I work in Jasper now, and wish I could live up that way. I could care less if I ever see Atlanta again.

So yoooooouuuuurrr the KTM I keep seeing headed north on 575/515 in the mornings. Past couple times I have seen you I was rolling the cage to work (southbound). If I am on two wheels it is usually a grey SV or a red BRP Honda.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!

Oddometer: 71
I have a friend who lives across the bridge in Kittery ME. I've visited a few times and think you might be happiest in the Decatur area. Lots of unique restaurants and good beer pubs. I just got through drinking one of your finest brews from Portsmouth, NH. A Smuttynose! Fine brew it is. I live in Decatur by the way.

IMHO if you don't have kids and just a wife and dog, look at Decatur. If think it's to pricey, look WAY outside the Perimeter. Like in the country. The burbs are built up for the parents who need the soccer fields, big box multi-packs and kid related things. One pays for those amenities. Don't pay for what you don't need.
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
northsoutheastwest
Alaskaless....for now.

Oddometer: 484
I lived in Buckhead for 15 years and now happily reside in Canton, GA. I would suggest getting a hotel near where you want to live and do the commute from there for a couple days and see if you can deal with it prior to making any decisions. The cheaper real estate and neighborhood atmosphere brought my wife and me to Canton. I did enjoy living in the condo in Buckhead for all those years but I was single then so it made sense. If you want relaxation and less stress and enjoy riding in the mtns and the outdoors almost anywhere on the north/northwest side is good. If you like going out and doing cultural things and experiencing night life and people watching, the suburbs and the exurbs may not be for you.

Good luck with the search!
FYYFF
WERA EX
northsoutheastwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #29
northsoutheastwest
Alaskaless....for now.

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistOnWheels

The housing prices in Decatur are a bit cost prohibitive, but that's what you get for being walking distance from the grocery store, bars, meals, theaters, concerts, schools, and the swim and tennis. The housing prices outside of 285 (except for East Cobb County) have plummetted, and now is a great time to buy out there if you so choose.

We're 45 min from Alpharetta (and it would be against traffic, reverse commute), 10 min from down town Atlanta.

Anyway, if riding in North Ga is a priority for you, then I would pick somewhere up there. I grew up OTP (Outside The Perimeter) and there is fun to be had in any direction ... but for living quality for me and the family, I don't think I could have made a better choice than Decatur.

No offense to any of your OTP'ers ... because that is where all the good riding is
dont you mean Dickhater
FYYFF
WERA EX
northsoutheastwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,845
Some of the guys in towm can fill you in on this better than me, but I'd use MARTA (park-n-fly) or whatever it's called to access the airport.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote