ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
Some of the guys in towm can fill you in on this better than me, but I'd use MARTA (park-n-fly) or whatever it's called to access the airport.
Filling in:

If using MARTA be sure you're packing, and practice your mozambique drills...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #32
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777
Filling in:

If using MARTA be sure you're packing, and practice your mozambique drills...
Well, that won't work going to the airport then, nevermind.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #33
Geezeronadeezr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Laugh

Quote:
Well, that won't work going to the airport then, nevermind.

Kennesaw is the place ...where all "heads of household are required to own a fire arm"....and you have many options on getting to the Flying Bus station...which is biggest night mare on mondays
Geezeronadeezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #34
MuleTrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Hello All,

What are your thoughts on Douglasville? Seem to be some nice single family houses with decent rent figures....

Thank you!

Chris
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #35
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleTrain
Hello All,

What are your thoughts on Douglasville? Seem to be some nice single family houses with decent rent figures....

Thank you!

Chris
Do you have 22" spinners? Is your hat with completely flat bill slightly cocked to one side? Then "Welcome to the 'hood, bro!"
If not, be prepared for slightly different "culture" than college town, NH. Some areas are probably ok, but definitely scope it out first.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #36
gruney1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777
Do you have 22" spinners? Is your hat with completely flat bill slightly cocked to one side? Then "Welcome to the 'hood, bro!"
If not, be prepared for slightly different "culture" than college town, NH. Some areas are probably ok, but definitely scope it out first.
Word to your Mother.
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #37
MuleTrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn it, that sucks!!!!

Would I be better off going out to Villa Rica, or up to the Dallas, Powder Springs area?

Thank you!

Chris
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #38
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

I think you're better off planning to stay north of the city, the further north the better. Just deal with airport as best you can.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #39
gruney1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
I think you're better off planning to stay north of the city, the further north the better. Just deal with airport as best you can.
I agree...I travel about once a month for my job, and I make it to the airport in about an hour and 15 minutes from Dahlonega. I try to book my flights to avoid rush hour, and rarely get caught in traffic. I lived in a nice area in Gwinnett County (East of Atlanta) when I first moved to GA, but that got old, with the traffic and congestion. Living up here is worth it for me.
gruney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #40
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
According to Forbes, Forsyth county is the #2 place to get ahead in the US. Just look for the billboard on 400 N exit 14. Slightly closer than dalonega. I like it here. There is plenty here for sale and rent now that the housing market has taken a dive. Good luck with your search!

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #41
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleTrain
Hello All,

Thank you!

Chris

Unless you're fluent in Ebonics or Spanish, stay away from Douglasville. Villa Rica or Dallas, you need to be able to understand y'all and over yonder. I'd give Kennesaw a serious look. Has everything you need, close enough to the airport yet heading north out of Kennesaw is as easy as 123.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #42
ARod2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Yeah, Villa Rica and Dallas are more country, but so is Cumming and Dahlonega if you look to go that far out. I have no issues with anything being more country, but I was born and raised here . Cumming would be cool because Lake Lanier isn't far. I think you should come down for a few days and check out the 75 corridor from Smyrna/Marietta/Kennesaw/Canton and then check out the north end of 400 from Cumming/Dawsonville/Dahlonega.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #43
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Check out Ellijay too if you're looking north.

We have our weekend/retirement cabin there, on a trout stream, surrounded by national forest service land, with nothing but Cohutta Wilderness for 30-40 miles to the north here in Gilmer County. It's a straight shot down 515 to the Town Center area and I-75, if and when the city calls.

As soon as the housing market turns around we're planning to sell our home in Dalton and move here full time. I'm telecommuting at this moment from the cabin, on my screened porch, overlooking my trout stream. Life doesn't get any better than this in N GA neventhough my neighbor did kill a nice eastern diamondback under his cabin's front steps this morning., 10 rattles.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
Chunt
pronounced Sea Hunt!

Oddometer: 71
There's a wealth of experience and location info in this forum. It might help if you fleshed out your lifestyle priorities and price ranges a bit for us.

I live in unincorporated Dekalb just outside the Decatur line and houses rent in the 1100 - 1250 range for a 2/3 bedroom 2 bath.

In town you can have a quiet lifestyle as well, but you've got to be careful where you buy/rent. If you get a home on a busy cut through road in a neighborhood it'll be noisy. I know as I live a mile from Emory University and the shift changes make my street a racetrack sometimes. Get a home off the beaten path in the same neighborhood and it gets much nicer and quieter.

Chris
Chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
MuleTrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Guys,

Hope all is well and thank you for the continued help....I have a few large customers in Birmingham so I'd like to stay on the north west area of Atlanta. I originally liked the Cumming area but I think that's a little too far north and east for me now.

Maybe I'll start focusing on the Acworth, Kennesaw and Marietta region?

I really want a single family home in a nice nieghborhood, garage, small yard, etc. I'm 38 and have no need for night life beyond a nice resturant for dinner every so often and overall I think would make a nice neighbor. I would like shopping and a Barnes and Noble close by though (10-15 minutes would be nice). I guess a price range from what I've seen so far would be between 1000-1300? I don't need a large house but since I work from home the nicer the better sort of thing.

I'd like to get down there for August 1st will either be taking a UHaul down or maybe use the POD company?

Thank you!

Chris