User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #181
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Chain

OEM was a white lithium grease in the chain housing... Non O ring chain. If you pull it apart and remove the top and bottom boots and then run it, there will be some contact at times with the chain and the lip on the rear housing... There are small "runners" in the boots. You can clean the lithium out and run it with regular chain lube in the boots. With what you are thinking for a cafe racer, pulling running gear off of a new sport bike with respacing the wheel at the rear end can get you way less weight and an open rear sprocket. The little cover on the front sprocket explains itself. The design does limit you going to a much larger front sprocket and it is a big chain/tooth size.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 09:48 AM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #182
JicJac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post
OEM was a white lithium grease in the chain housing... Non O ring chain. If you pull it apart and remove the top and bottom boots and then run it, there will be some contact at times with the Cain and the lip on the rear housing... There are small "runners" in the boots. You can cean the lithium and run it with chain lube in the boots. With what you are thinking, pulling running gear off of a new sport bike with respacing at the rear end can get you way less weight and an open rear sprocket. The little cover on the front sprocket explains itself. The design does limit you going to a much large front sprocket.
Sounds like a plan. Exposing the chain is in my Phase2 planning. I like your solution. But I might keep the OEM sprocket/s until I get to know the bike better - then decide on the gears, tooth count, etc. JJ
JicJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #183
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JicJac View Post
Sounds like a plan. Exposing the chain is in my Phase2 planning. I like your solution. But I might keep the OEM sprocket/s until I get to know the bike better - then decide on the gears, tooth count, etc. JJ
No need to try fitting a larger front sprocket. The PO of my ex-bike (now owned by inmate bk brkr baker) installed a smaller rear sprocket that fits fine within the housing and has worked for over 30,000 miles. I think he went with a 4T smaller rear (which provides about the same gearing change as +1 on the front), but that receipt is in the pile of receipts Kenneth got with the bike so he can look this up for you if the cows give him some free time.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #184
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
No need to try fitting a larger front sprocket. The PO of my ex-bike (now owned by inmate bk brkr baker) installed a smaller rear sprocket that fits fine within the housing and has worked for over 30,000 miles. I think he went with a 4T smaller rear (which provides about the same gearing change as +1 on the front), but that receipt is in the pile of receipts Kenneth got with the bike so he can look this up for you if the cows give him some free time.
Correct. No need to fiddle with the drive sprocket.

You mentioned 30K miles. Hell, this bike is an 81' with only 32K original miles. Lots of miles left in this puppy.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #185
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 880
The chains (and sprockets) only live that long when you keep the chain enclosed and lubed. Chain life goes out the window when you leave them exposed.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #186
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
The chains (and sprockets) only live that long when you keep the chain enclosed and lubed. Chain life goes out the window when you leave them exposed.
I realize this. I want to balance aesthetics with good mechanical practice. My years of long-riding are over. I only put about 30 miles a week on my car! I keep the bike garaged and I'm used to "hand oiling" a chain when it needs it. I know, it slings oil all over the place and attracts dirt/grime.... This too is a consideration. So, bottom line, the jury is still out on this one. I am exploring feedback and thanks to this great site and the experienced riders/mechanics who contribute here - I've got a lot to chew on.

Thanks Y'all,

JJ
Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #187
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 880
No worries. I'm trying to balance out the incredible chain life/ aesthetics on mine, as well. I plan some long trips on mine, so that probably seal the deal for me.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #188
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
Days of longriding behind you ? Don't say that out loud !
One of the joys ,probably the biggest joy , of the enclosed chain deal is that with a properly adjusted and with adaquet lube in the cases, you can cross the continent without checking,lubing or worrying about the chain.
It is an excellent system that would be a great addition to bikes such as the V-Strom and Versys.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #189
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
okay,
i sold my 920 to John (highside-lowside), a member on this board. he came down yesterday from chicago to pick up the bike with his wife and trailer it home. had car trouble and made it to within five miles of my house. the car and trailer were towed to a repair shop where i picked them up. his plan, ride this virtually unproven bike with a slight front end noise 300 miles back to his house with his wife as passenger. i had ridden the bike a bit and new it started and ran good, plus it had a decent set of dunlops on it and i had just done a oil and filter change.
thank god he's an atgatt guy and brought leathers, a helmet, gloves and boots to test ride it before trailering it home.
so we had one set of riding gear for the trip but two people on board. i gave him a shoei rf700 helmet for his wife, a hi viz pull over sweatshirt and an ancient but good magnetic tank bag for the trip. left my house around four in the afternoon, and made it home around 11 pm. i talked to Mrs. John this morning and apparently the headlight was in-op but turned out to be just a fuse (whew).
my helmet is off to him and i'm humbled by their spirit. not many people (myself included) could take that turn of events in stride, say screw it, lets ride this old girl home. these two are true adv riders at the highest level!
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSCN1267.mp4

vernon dent screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 07:50 AM
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #190
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis power View Post
i talked to his wife this morning and apparently the headlight was in-op but turned out to be just a fuse (whew).
The fuse panels get brittle on these bikes over the years. I needed to replace mine.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #191
JicJac
Adventurer

Wow, great story axis. An adv for the memory books. 300 miles is no sneeze - under the circumstances. My hats off to John and his bride.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #192
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
hey John,
just so you know i picked up your trailer this morning and parked it in my driveway i'm a trailer 'tard so it took about fifteen minutes to get it backed in the driveway. i just couldn't let it sit in that vacant lot next to firestone. to easy to swipe. make some extra time when you come back to pick up the car/trailer and i'll buy you two breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on what time you get here, we'll bs a bit over some chow. things were a little frantic yesterday.

vernon dent screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 07:55 AM
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #193
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

It isn't only your peanuts that get brittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The fuse panels get brittle on these bikes over the years. I needed to replace mine.
Back to JicJac's encased chain... there is a seal that is prone to "brittlism" if your decide to pull the housing and nose around. This may have been replaced/monkeyed with/not touched when the Christmas peppermints were painted. Look at a parts view before you go on a rear wheel safari some Saturday when killing time. Not complex but breakable.

Those wheels are bothering me enough that old Santa wants to start a bake sale to raise money to get those things down to raw metal and start over. Ho-ho-ho!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #194
JicJac
Adventurer

Zip n' fellow adventurers.. This photo was taken a few days ago. Since then, I painted the rear fender black.
As you see, the pinwheel striping is gone. I have a couple little dents in the tank that require Bondo - then paint.
The chain will remain encased - for now.
I want to get the basic paint work done and the new tombstone multi-purpose tail/plate/break light (with directionals)
mounted and ride the sucker. At least get some miles on it to make sure the engine is right and there are no problems
- before I get too fancy. The PO said he put 200 miles on the rebuild. Who knows. JJ

And for the fun of it, here is a (Skyrim inspired) drawing I made...
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...icJac/ADV1.jpg

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #195
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Rattle Can Magic?

Looks like some of the gold went away, too. You can slip the triple=trees down on the fork tubes a little while she's up there. You might have to go to some kind of valve caps because it can get tight to replace the rubber boots on the tops. It will take clubman bars without a fuss. I also ran clip-ons with dinging the tank. With the fender off and the grab rail/lock box gone... ya' see the nice air she shows between the seat and tire? Just think of salvage yarding a set of wheels, forks and brakes. Smaller and fatter... a longer shock and... even a bigger gap!

I forgot those funny little valve adjuster covers!