ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #241
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno View Post
Was that a Mac 2in1 together with a centre-stand ?
(Cause allegedly those two don't go together…)

Cheers,
Greg
Yes. The bike had stock pipes on it for years and when they rusted out I found the MAC on a bike in a salvage yard in South Carolina for $100. Stuck it on the 920 and rode it for more years until it, too, rusted out and got the repair you see in Bakemon's pix. Worked fine with the centerstand. I don't recall any interference at all, either during installation or operation.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #242
johmarq
RottenMongrelBastard
 
johmarq's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 140
Hi Guys

I just picked up this old girl for $500

She's a 1981 XV1000, pretty much the same as the TR1 or XV920
After a freeing up the seized clutch and front calipers,
and cleaning out the solid gunk in the carbs she starts and rides good.

The motor sounds sweet, gears change smooth,I'm pretty lucky I guess!

I'm gonna need a complete exhaust system, the one on it is more rust then metal!

I'm in Australia, this is a pretty rare bike here so the chances of finding an original exhaust is slim.
Also there's no aftermarket pipes available here so I would have to ship one it from the US or UK,
Shipping will be expensive!

I was wondering if one from a Virago would fit. Year? Model?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.




__________________
I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. George W Bush
Rotten Mongrel Bastard.
johmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #243
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Linz, Austria
Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
... the MAC... Worked fine with the centerstand. I don't recall any interference at all, either during installation or operation.
Thanks,

that should solve quite a few of my worries, guess I am running out of excuses on why NOT to try a MAC 2in1 then.

Greg
__________________
Let the world change you and you can change the world - Che Guevara
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #244
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmarq View Post
Hi Guys

I just picked up this old girl for $500

She's a 1981 XV1000, pretty much the same as the TR1 or XV920
After a freeing up the seized clutch and front calipers,
and cleaning out the solid gunk in the carbs she starts and rides good.

The motor sounds sweet, gears change smooth,I'm pretty lucky I guess!

I'm gonna need a complete exhaust system, the one on it is more rust then metal!

I'm in Australia, this is a pretty rare bike here so the chances of finding an original exhaust is slim.
Also there's no aftermarket pipes available here so I would have to ship one it from the US or UK,
Shipping will be expensive!

I was wondering if one from a Virago would fit. Year? Model?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
If importing is that expensive you might try sourcing from a local pipe wizard who could whip something up for you. You might be able to use parts of the Virago setup, but the important part is the tail pipe and I think the shaft drive bike has more room for a larger collector that the chain drive bike does not utilize, thus hampering the fit of the shaft drive exhaust system onto the chain drive bike. I do not have personal experience trying to make this fit, understand.

If importing, I'd consider the stainless one from Gazbike in Wales over the MAC that will eventually rust out, unless you pay to have the MAC ceramic-coated for longevity.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #245
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Linz, Austria
Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
If importing, I'd consider the stainless one from Gazbike in Wales over the MAC that will eventually rust out, unless you pay to have the MAC ceramic-coated for longevity.
Seems like their onlinestore is a tad empty, when it comes to exhaust stuff, so I guess, you're supposed to drop them an e-mail, right ?

You wouldn't happen to know of any pictures of previous exhausts done by gazbikes for the TR1/XV920/Virago ?

Cheers,
Greg
__________________
Let the world change you and you can change the world - Che Guevara
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #246
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno View Post
Seems like their onlinestore is a tad empty, when it comes to exhaust stuff, so I guess, you're supposed to drop them an e-mail, right ?

You wouldn't happen to know of any pictures of previous exhausts done by gazbikes for the TR1/XV920/Virago ?

Cheers,
Greg
Not the same company, evidently, as this one (below) but the link appears to lead nowhere any longer. They did have a nice 2-into-2 in stainless. I have a pic of their stuff on an XV someplace and will try to dig it up. It appears that this web address is now available.
http://www.gazbike.demon.co.uk/

thumpism screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 11:47 AM
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #247
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Linz, Austria
Oddometer: 267
What a shame… I seem to recall that it was quite nicely looking… (I think I stumbled over them, when I was looking for a XJR1200 collector box)

Cheers,
Greg
__________________
Let the world change you and you can change the world - Che Guevara
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014