Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #46
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB
You are right: the TR1 is the chaindriven one, the XV is the shaft driven version.

If you're looking for another XV/TR1: Be sure the starter is allright. When it makes the sound that a jet crashing into a tincanfactory would make you're in for a new starter and they are expensive (at least in europe they are). This is one of the major things that go wrong on XV's a lot.

I've got one, together with a friend of mine. We're doing some 'minor' modifications to it:

New TV series... ASIAN/American Chopper
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #47
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours
New TV series... ASIAN/American Chopper
You forgot european

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #48
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Thats pretty sweet Steve... yours?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #49
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,053
Good to see this thread back on the front page.

I have nothing of value to add, however.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #50
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Just about to start resurrection of TR1 #3 in my life... just have to find some parts and then this one's gonna get back together after waiting for me in a shed for twelve long, cold and obviously wet years...

Cheers,
Greg
nanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #51
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,176

This is my XV last year in Monument Valley dressed as a beast of burden. I added crash bars , combo skid plate - tool box, pannier racks and huge boxes , wind shield, handguards , tank panniers and tank bag. Extra fuel rides on the shelves at the rear.
It works pretty well though I did have someone tell me this year if I was going to haul anything more I'd have to add either a sidecar or a trailer.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #52
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
When those first came out, my boss at the Yamaha Shop in Seaside cal bought one. She spent about four months and a grand on it trying to make it cool and fast, the cool part worked. It was pretty fast, but in an old Ducati way, and I don't mean 900SS. More like a Pantah.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #53
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
When those first came out, my boss at the Yamaha Shop in Seaside cal bought one. She spent about four months and a grand on it trying to make it cool and fast, the cool part worked. It was pretty fast, but in an old Ducati way, and I don't mean 900SS. More like a Pantah.
I think the XV-models were the most missunderstood motorcycles Yamaha ever built, they are perfect tourers, but not sporty at all. Once you get your head round that, they are a bit like the best bits of a (twin) SR500 and a MZ 250.

I.e.: Lot's of torque and very little maintenance.

Wonder if they would have switched to single carb, if the XV would have been more successful in the long run.

Cheers
Greg
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #54
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno
I think the XV-models were the most missunderstood motorcycles Yamaha ever built, they are perfect tourers, but not sporty at all. Once you get your head round that, they are a bit like the best bits of a (twin) SR500 and a MZ 250.

I.e.: Lot's of torque and very little maintenance.

Wonder if they would have switched to single carb, if the XV would have been more successful in the long run.

Cheers
Greg
I just bought a XV920RJ that I am going to clean up and get going again.
Hope to modify the suspenion and brakes a bit but keep the original charachter of the bike.

Gotta agree with most of the previous comments. The XV was a bike that people in the US did not seem to understand.
Performance bikes were the rage at the time and a Euro Sport Tourer seemed like an odd concept here. ( Won't go 150mph?
What good is it!)

I fell in love with this bike and the 650 Seca when they were announced, but could only afford one. So I flipped a coin
and bought a new XJ650RJ. Still have it and love it, but I have always wondered what I missed by not getting the XV.

Should find out soon!

Regarding the "not fast" statement above, yeah it's pretty true for the stocker or a mildly modified bike, but look up the
story online about Kevin Schwantz racing a modified XV920R (named Lurch) at the Laguna Seca AMA superbike race
in the early 80's. The only bikes that qualified in front of him were HRC VF750 Interceptors. This was Kevins first Pro race.
The bike broke but it raised some eyebrows!

ctune80 screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 08:19 AM
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #55
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80
Regarding the "not fast" statement above, yeah it's pretty true for the stocker or a mildly modified bike, but look up the
story online about Kevin Schwantz racing a modified XV920R (named Lurch) at the Laguna Seca AMA superbike race
in the early 80's. The only bikes that qualified in front of him were HRC VF750 Interceptors. This was Kevins first Pro race.
The bike broke but it raised some eyebrows!
Absolutely agree with you, there's a guy in Germany by the name of Sepp Koch, who is racing his highly tuned TR1-Engine in a modified featherbed frame against some old Z1000s, GS1000s, BMW R100S in a racing series called grab the flag and let's just put it this way, it's not a hopeless fight after all...

So, yes, they can be made to perform quite nicely, but in fully stock trim, they're slugs, even compared to a BMW R100 or a big V-Twin Guzzi of the same era.

But hey... it seems, we both know better...

Cheers,
Greg

P.S.: My other bike is a KZ1000J... it is very hard to go slow on that one, so it gives a nice contrast!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #56
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for Sepps name, I googled him and checked out his bikes, he is the TR1 authority!

I had seen a couple of them before but not all, very impressive!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #57
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80
Thanks for Sepps name, I googled him and checked out his bikes, he is the TR1 authority!
I had seen a couple of them before but not all, very impressive!
And a really fine bloke too, hope in the course of your search you also found the German TR1-Forum ?

(there's an English section as well)

Cheers,
Greg

P.S.: Waiting for my carbs to get shipped from Vienna...
Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #58
G2mk3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162

I forgot to update this thread with a picture of my 750 after I got it rideable. It has treated me very well thus far, but is definatly a slug. so in other words a prefect first street bike for me ;) I was thinking of maybe trying to use these carbs on my bike:
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-42.html#products
Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #59
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
I forgot to update this thread with a picture of my 750 after I got it rideable. It has treated me very well thus far, but is definatly a slug. so in other words a prefect first street bike for me ;) I was thinking of maybe trying to use these carbs on my bike:

Looks really nice with those wheels!

Viragos clean up better than any cruiser out there. I have seen quite a few nice looking streetfighter/Cafe bikes based on them.

Uh, need to lose the highway pegs though!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #60
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3

My 920 is slug-like also. I've put some thought into the carb question.
On a hotted up SR-500 36mm is about as big as you'd want to go on the street. Drivability suffers if you go to 38s, maybe a litttle more top end on the track, but less fun on the street. I mention the SR because in a lot of ways the Virago is an SR times two.
I also have an 860 Ducati GT , the milder valve spring model. It came with a pair of 32 DelOrtos and is a perfect runner. Smooth , no popping and still fast enough toi eat all the Harleys I ran against.
You could likely get by nicely with 32s. Micunis will be easier to find and cheaper.
When I bring my 920 back home from Washington I'll likely try some 36 Delortos that I have here.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote