I wish..
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #62
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno
I think the XV-models were the most missunderstood motorcycles Yamaha ever built, they are perfect tourers, but not sporty at all. Once you get your head round that, they are a bit like the best bits of a (twin) SR500 and a MZ 250.

I.e.: Lot's of torque and very little maintenance.

Wonder if they would have switched to single carb, if the XV would have been more successful in the long run.

Cheers
Greg
Righto, but hers was splended to ride and actually pretty quick especially for what it was. It looked absolutely brilliant, and sounded better, she had a race tuner who worked for the shop make a set of pipes not unlike a set of mid mile dirt track reverse cone megaphones and they sounded brilliant.

The bike looked really cool, it was not a special it was the XX920J I think and a standard UJM back then so easier to make look sportier than a Japachopper.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #63
G2mk3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80
Looks really nice with those wheels!

Viragos clean up better than any cruiser out there. I have seen quite a few nice looking streetfighter/Cafe bikes based on them.

Uh, need to lose the highway pegs though!
Thanks! The highway pegs aren't nearly so noticeable when they are flipped up, plus it's nice to be able to hang my feet out there every once in a while. you can't see it in the picture, but the bike also has a nice skidplate too
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #64
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
Thanks! The highway pegs aren't nearly so noticeable when they are flipped up, plus it's nice to be able to hang my feet out there every once in a while. you can't see it in the picture, but the bike also has a nice skidplate too
I see the Harley guys with their feet on the hiway pegs.......running down the regular streets! They have their feet sticking out at right angles from the bike and it looks so friggin weird. I call it "Surfing Goofy Foot".
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #65
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I see the Harley guys with their feet on the hiway pegs.......running down the regular streets! They have their feet sticking out at right angles from the bike and it looks so friggin weird. I call it "Surfing Goofy Foot".
The icing on the cake of that position is when the bike has ApeHangers.

"Surfing Goofy Foot, while Flappin your wings!"
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #66
Elbow
XV920CR

Oddometer: 23
Wire wheels?

Is anyone out there still watching this thread? I saw that some of the XVs pictured in this thread have wire wheels. I have my old sack of crap running reliably now, and am starting to work on making her pretty. I'd love to change over to wire wheels. Is there anyone out there who has done the change and knows how to git-er-done? I have the 81 XV920R.
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #67
Revill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Anyone still listening?

Well, not still. I just noticed this thread this morning. Brings back memories.... My 920 was my daily driver for five years. With a shield and some surgery to the seat foam it made a damn nice tourer.

I replaced starter drives over and over and over through the 80,000 miles it carried me. Finally the flywheel got so chewed up that the bendix just wouldn't catch, and I upgraded to a Pacific Coast.

Good luck with your project. Wire wheels? You can probably find something that will fit, but why? Spokes are a pain to clean, and tubes leak down a lot faster than tubeless. I've got tubes on my W650 and I HATE them.

Revill

Revill screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 07:08 AM
Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #68
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbow
Is anyone out there still watching this thread? I saw that some of the XVs pictured in this thread have wire wheels. I have my old sack of crap running reliably now, and am starting to work on making her pretty. I'd love to change over to wire wheels. Is there anyone out there who has done the change and knows how to git-er-done? I have the 81 XV920R.
I thought of doing it too, but when faced with losing the enclosed chain drive I decided against it.
If I recall you need to find some wheels from an early XS650.
The Virago forum has some threads on it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #69
Elbow
XV920CR

Oddometer: 23
Why?

Why not? It's purely a asthetics thing. I have no other reason other than I like the way they look. I probably will never do it as it is way easier to tinker with my other rides. Parts are easier to find and way cheaper.
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #70
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Well, I finally dug mine out from under wraps today, washed off the accumulated grime and began stripping off the parts that'll need attention. It's actually in better condition than I expected for being under a tarp for a couple of years, so perhaps bringing it back won't be as difficult as I feared. I'm taking pix and will post with some narrative. The joy of working in a gravel driveway during the onset of winter should keep it interesting.

This will not be a restoration, but a getting-back-on-the-road. The bike was never show quality and has always lived outside when I've owned it, so it will simply be a matter of making it roadworthy and legal again and then riding it. I hope to do this will minimal financial outlay, but do anticipate having to buy new pipes if I can't get the aged, rusty MAC 2-into-1 to pass inspection. More later.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #71
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbow
I'd love to change over to wire wheels. Is there anyone out there who has done the change and knows how to git-er-done? I have the 81 XV920R.
Get a SR500 or XS650 front wheel and slap it in, rear is the same, both will fit, but you will have to dump the enclosure of the chain!
(Not worth it IMHO)

Talking of performance mods... so how can we spice up the old XV920 a bit ?
Hot-cams are nowhere to be found... maybe raise the compression a little ?
What else can be done ?

Cheers,
Greg
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #72
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
that is one sharp looking motortcycle.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #73
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
When those first came out, my boss at the Yamaha Shop in Seaside cal bought one. She spent about four months and a grand on it trying to make it cool and fast, the cool part worked. It was pretty fast, but in an old Ducati way, and I don't mean 900SS. More like a Pantah.
Mid to late 80's one of the Yarrow clan, Duke, if my memory still works, raced one in the local AFM roadrace series.
He rode it to the track, stripped it down, spanked the open twins class on it, then put it back together to ride home.
I believe it had a part of old Chevy header welded on for an open exhaust, and sounded raspy as hell.
That guy could lap me on a moped no matter what I was riding.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #74
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Man, whoever discovered the use of Pine Sol for cleaning varnished carbs deserves the Nobel Prize for Mechanics. I'd have sworn these parts could not be blasted apart with TNT but after soaking for several days in full-strength PS the accumulated gunk can be scraped off with a thumbnail and cemented-together parts can be persuaded to separate without too much drama. I'm amazed and, although this is taking much longer than I figured, it is more importantly going to be doable on a modest cash outlay. So far.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #75
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,157
My father in law has one in silver and black. He has been contemplating selling it, but has done nothing about it. It is very clean with low miles. No starter upgrade, broken centerstand. Tires have good tread but are old.
Located in Los Angeles. PM me if interested, I can help pursuade him and get more details.