Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #91
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
Found a deal on one semi locally, so I have been noodling around for inspiration.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #92
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

And one found right here on ADV-

Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #93
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

...and now for something completely different-

Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #94
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #95
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 726
Ride Report

I finally got around to putting a ride report together for the trip I took last month from Texas to Florida on the 1982 XV920 I bought on ebay.

Here's a link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652164

More installments to follow.
motorcyclefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #96
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
...and now for something completely different-

Check out the latest issue of Classic Bike. A TR-1 ton similar to this one is in the running for Classic Bike of the Year award.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #97
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I think you're right. Somehow it doesn't really look comfortable this way. Nice bike though!

Our Virago has made some progress to. We had it running with that Opel Carb (and it sounds fantastic!):

We've ordered a low pressure fuel pump. Turned out they're readily available and reasonably inexpensive.
It's been a while, but we last week we finally made a (succesfull) testride with the car carburetor. SO it now has a home made exhaust, a home made inlet manifold, a Solex (Opel) carburetor and a home made intake. We did have some troubles with the carb, but that was mainly due to the carb being very old.

Horrible vid, but it was the first testride:

We have some more work to do, the clutch is very touchy for example, but now we got it running reasonably well I'm sure we'll make it.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #98
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
Found a deal on one semi locally, so I have been noodling around for inspiration.

very,very nice. used to own a stock one
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #99
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Yeah, I really like the way they remove the frame section behind the rear cylinder and relocate the battery. Really cleans up the look of the bike. Mine's still stockish.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #100
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Yeah, I really like the way they remove the frame section behind the rear cylinder and relocate the battery. Really cleans up the look of the bike. Mine's still stockish.
I like it too, but how save is removing that frame?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #101
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I like it too, but how save is removing that frame?
I don't think it matters. The main frame is joined to the cylinder heads, so mounting the rear sub from the rear head shouldn't be a problem.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #102
ejunker
Cowcatcher

Oddometer: 17
I want to join this club!

My two rides currently are a road tweaked KLX650R and 660MZ Skorpion. I guess I'm ready for a twin and the XV920R is going to be it. Got one you want out of? Let me know, please - email or PM me.

Ed.
ejunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #103
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
XV920RH's, RJ's and TR1's

The yellow flat tracker style is so nice. I raced a XV920RH in BOTT for a few years in the '80's. I remember how funny is was to push that lead sled through the Camel Pro race tech guys. They always got a laugh about the weight. So getting those cast spiral wheels off would save a ton. You can slide the triple trees down the stock fork tubes about 1.25" to add a little quick to the steering. Pull the rubber caps off because you will getting a little tight. The hot shoe carb was del Orto pumpers for carbs at the time. The rear swing arm weighs a ton and I think there were some off label options from the yz's and tz's just prior that would help. Sorry... I don't remember the year and model. Yamaha was trying to put together a Jimmy Felice flat track effort, I think Mert Lawell was involved too, and they put together some chain drive 750 engine combos for the effort. I think Axtell was involved. So after they abandoned the effort they were selling the remainder off through Cycle News in like 1983 or '84. The flat tracker was interesting but they put so much adjustability into the frame that they might still be working though set up formulas. Plenty of power. Some of the photos show removal of the two piece engine crank cover. You'll see the viewing glass (Yamaha liked doing this on stuff around that time) and the center hex cap cover in the middle is a match for the inspection cover on the enclosed chain. One is silver and one is black for a cheap accent. This system was nice on the street but weighs a total ton. Remember no O ring chain if you keep the enclosed system. You can run with the system "open" and use chain lube, but the chain will clang like a bell against the housing if you don't keep the rubber boots on. I see a lot of the folks keep the little plastic "spoiler" above the front cylinder. It really did nothing and if you pull it and run bigger coils, it will keep them cooler. Remember to kep your plug wires equal length. The rubber bellow on the stock carbs, generally the back, will sometimes suck in and allow air leaks. Watch them... and drill/pick out the covers on your stock carbs to be less lean... they were factory sealed and easy to overlook. You can swiss cheese the air box and keep the filter, but ya gotta do sumthin with that air horm/rubber velocity stack. The RH's were cherry red (82's) and the RJ's were silver and black (83's). I see Chris Steward mentioned. He rode the '83 in BOTT production and Yamaha had some contingency money in '83. A west coast ghost... you'd see him at the start and the finish. The shock has a remote rebound (I think I remember) adjust on the frame. Also weighs a ton and the cables stretch. That stock also had air preload. Dump it and buy something that reflects what weight changes and riding you'll do. The earlier YZ parts bin or aftermarket was the way to go. The lock and chain weighed a ton as did the nearly useless rear fender (it mounted to the swing arm to add more unsprung weight!) I would lose them and the lock box behind the seat. That unbolts with two screws and then reposition the tail light. The grab rail is an easy removal, it takes the '80 goofy look away and drops another ton of weight. The 2:1 exhaust is such a good idea, but it did look bulky and bulbous. You can punch out the baffle, but as old as these are now, let is rest and switch the system out. You need the fork brace and update the brakes. The stock fender is heavy up front too.The rotors are a solid as a rock... at least have them patterned. The rear drum is in need of some holes to lighten things up. I saw one of the bikes with drill outs on the foot peg frames. They are heavy. Raask made rear sets for it, but I didn't like the quality or the positioning. I liked the stock location... just a little higher. I ran it with clubman bars and clip ons. It is a big tank to reach through with clip ons. I had two RH's. One track, one street. Loved those big horses. The era was a good one to hair dryer heat the gold plastic medallions off the tank and side covers. Speaking of starters, the TR1, europe and Canada, too, had 980cc bore and was a easy upgrade, and I think the marbles in a can starter was better. This was improved on the later year (through the 80's at least) Viragos in the states, too. Speaking of weight, that is quite a battery, too. Right out of a Mack truck. This has to be replaced with a smaller 12 volts... my gosh it is huge!

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 10:15 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #104
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
good stuff!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #105
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Vey good stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

Our XV project is now nearing completion, it's mainly the paint that still needs to be done. Works great with the Opel Kadet Carburetor by the way...