User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #151
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
That's what bothers me so much about all of jesses mount designs. They depend on the skin of the box to carry very concentrated point loads. The skin should be backed with a steel plate to spread that load over a much larger area. Agreed, poor design.
EXACTLY. I thought about running 2 bolt holes where there was 1 and using a piece of flat steel just like you said to widen the load but that would mean it would take even longer to remove the boxes--a job that already takes 10 minutes and 4 wrenches. My current plan is to take a flat piece of steel and weld the nuts to it. I'll use 8m bolts all over so I can use my favorite 13mm ratcheting box end and that ought to make it a pretty quick removal. With the nut on the inside already held I won't have to empty the boxes to remove them, a chore in and of itself. I've still got to come up with a way to send some of the weight down to the foot peg mounts since the thin sheet metal buckled on both sides but that's a whole other problem.

Sorry. This is supposed to be a ride report. I thought I was back in Old School for a minute. or old skool or old's cool or whatever stupid thing they're calling it these days

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #152
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Great report! Also, remind me to never buy a used bike from you.
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #153
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

will do! I lost a lot of money on the last bike I sold because I felt I had to mention the trip across Mexico I took on it. It sucks but integrity is worth more than resale. Luckily I've got way to much money in this bike to ever sell it

Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #154
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,085
How many concerts you been to at 10 am? :wink :lol
Glad you're having a good time. That $47 dollar week sounds pretty awesome. Large contingent of American expats in costa rica. Highest density of Americans, I think, outside of US, is what I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
dude, it's tuesday morning! don't you have a job?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #155
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I left Semuc and headed west to the border.

When I got to Guat this time there was a big line at the aduana to get the paperwork for the bike....so I skipped it. Yep, clean skipped it. So, when I went to leave the country the guy at the border gave me a hassle about it. I said 'okay so what do I need to do?' I couldn't understand what he said but I could tell he was all tied up in knots deep in his little bureaucratic soul because there was a form that wasn't filled out right. I told him I'd just go over to migracion and get that side of it straightened out then come back. I went there, got a stamp in the passport and never went back to the other office. I was feeling a little ill-tempered that day.

Then I road over to the Mexican part of the border about 4km away. This is a long story, bear with me, it's worth it.

Last year I rode a Sportster down to Mexico. When I left I didn't get my paperwork for the bike cancelled because I didn't know to. This year I ride down on a different bike, get all my paperwork done right, buy my insurance and cross the entire length of Mexico without any problems. I exit mexico and get the paperwork cancelled this time. Still, no problems. I ride down to panama and come back up.

Now, I get to the office at Mexico this time and this weasly bastard at a tiny office shows me the travel paper from last year and says that I can't come into the country until I cancel it. I asked him what I needed to do to cancel it. He said he needed to see the bike so he could sign off on it. Well, I sold that bike back in the states so what do I do now? He said he had to see the bike. So, I can't go into Mexico? No. You're telling me that I should just go ahead and buy a house in Guatemala and live the rest of my days here because of that little piece of paper? Yes. I laughed. I laughed long and loud right in his face. I gathered up my paperwork, walked out to the bike-still laughing, hopped on it and rode right past him into Mexico. A cop at the border waved me over at the gate. I nodded at him and kept going. No visa. No insurance. Nothing.

What I can't get over is the fact that this guy thought it perfectly reasonable that I would ship a 600 pound motorcycle, that I didn't own, from the United States to south Mexico just so he could slap his holy Handcock on some nonsensical piece of paperwork. goober.

Well anyways, here's some nice pics of South Mexico

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 10:23 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #156
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Southern Mexico was curvy!

so yeah, I was going way to fast. I came around a corner that turned out to be a lot sharper than I thought. I touched the rear brake and it slipped out from underneath me. I bounced on my right cylinder like a pogo stick. I bounced onto it 3 times, got the bike straightened up and didn't wreck. I don't know how I didn't wreck. If I had been on anything other than a boxer I'd have layed it down.

I ran over in the other lane and dang near off the other side of the road. Didn't I learn this lesson the hard way years ago?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #157
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

more Mexico

it ain't always easy to find a place to park

Ostriches. Freakin' ostriches!

ya know what I like about Mexico? Bugs. Man I love bugs and there's a ton of 'em here.

I even managed not to get lost this time.....much.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 10:20 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #158
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I got up to the coast and it was HOT. Usually I ride with my visor up so I can get some airflow but the wind felt like it came out of a furnace. I had to keep the visor closed to keep from drying out.

I felt like Mad Max crossing the wasteland. Constant scrub land with the occasional rusted windmill or abandoned gas station.

I stopped for some Gatorade a little after noon. I had 300 miles to go and about 6 hours of daylight left. I knew I couldn't make it but I decided to try to make one big push to the border anyways.

What should I listen to on a scorching hot day screaming across the highway in Mexico? It was like the iPod found Jackyl all on it's own

It definitely wasn't a day of droning down a boring interstate. The ground was flat as a tabletop and the wind came across from the east HARD. The gusts tried to knock my wheels out from underneath me every few minutes. I was leaned into the wind for hours. I fought for every mile I made on that highway.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 05:04 AM
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #159
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,574
Awesome report man, I can't wait to go to Semuc, I will be taking some RR there for quite some time. Great place to check out a waterproff camera. Keep up this good stuff
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #160
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The US-Mexico border isn't the same as other borders. You can come into Mexico without doing any paperwork. There are police and military checkpoints about 50 miles into the country and they make sure the paperwork is straight there.

I get about 50 miles from the border and get stopped at a military checkpoint. They searched me and they were thorough. The guy pulled most of the stuff out of my boxes and SNIFFED everything he pulled out. After searching me the guy asked me for all my paperwork. Of course, I didn't have any I told him I forgot the paperwork at the border and that I needed to go back UP there and get it He said okay and waved me on. I hopped on the bike fired up the Jackyl and laughed like a madman for the next 10 miles.

I can't believe I got away with that crap I've been getting jerked around by the officious pricks at those border crossings for the last two months. Well, here's a big middle finger for all 'em!

I got up to the border and there was a line of cars

I lane split my way to the front of the line and rolled on in to the good ol' U S of A

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 10:28 PM
Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 AM   #161
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Awesome. What a ride. Thanks for sharing!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #162
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
loving the report brad. glad you made it back stateside in on piece.
2 questions.

1. what mirrors are those? i need new ones.
2. jackyl? really? if you're a big fan let me know. i might have a small piece of memorabilia for you.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #163
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
I'm so proud of your bureaucracy cutting tactics, I could cry.

Absolutely stupendous work done there.

Gimme a buzz when you get back into town. I might be making a run to Atlanta area in the next couple weeks for a position transfer with the day job.

Or swing by and check out the /2 pieces and stuff.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #164
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
This was one great report. Semac and the border crossings alone made it worth reading. The rest was all gravy and I like gravy.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #165
collie man
mo fire!!

Oddometer: 335
awesome report bro

you made this ride down and back seem so easy. I still cant understand how you got away without all that paperwork !! congrats!